Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lisbon: anyone been? Recommendations please…
  • wl
    Free Member

Got 5 nights in Lisbon, Portugal, in early September. Anyone know of some good things to do there – art, architecture, swimming, boozing, food, nightlife, activities etc etc. Nice to know about some of the less touristy things available to do – happy to rough it/wing it to see the real city. And how expensive is the city generally? Cheers.

scandal42
    Free Member

Just make yourself scarce when her husband turns up, he’ll be coming in by train if that helps.

mogrim

I’ve been quite a few times and while nothing particularly stands out I’m always keen to head back – it’s just a great city to wander around and enjoy, get up to the castle, there’s a beach fairly close, etc. A bit run down, but that’s part of its charm.

You should also get out to Sintra which is nearby – the old castle is fantastic, and the palace at the top is also over the top…

And lol@scandal42 🙂

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Pasteis de Nata – custard tarts!!

I dream about those things…..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

remarkable amount of lookie lookie men iirc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a lovely place to just hang about in. I liked the old citadel/castle thing and the old town and market nearby. the art gallery in the old bank is cool also – you get to see the safe!

gooner69

There is a great regular Thursday night ride there if you have a bike?

It is all the steps in the city, including any that have restaurants, shops, cafes etc on half landings. We even dropped into the tube station then rode onto the escalator to get back out. Madly people were cheering and waving as we rode through their tables as they ate.
    Mental place!!

Naturally enough it finishes by the river with beers at around midnight.

If you fancy it let me know as my mate is a regular on the run;)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/118311091

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its a fun city. Varied nightlight from sophisticated to dodgy and everything in between. Old quarter on the hill has lots of nice cafes/restaurants. I was there for a sailing event and it was great to get out onto the water.

donncha
    Mackem

Bairro alto for cosy little bars.
    Institute of port wine is a good start to the night.
    Eat frango piri piri.
    Funfair with bars near bullring is interesting.
    Sintra is a lovely town to visit with beautiful palace and cool castle.
    Las docas for fancy drinking.
    Cascais is a nice town on the end of the train line.
    Belen for monuments tea and cakes.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for all these tips etc – very useful – just what I was after. I’m no good with guide books. Sounds like a great place.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sounds nice, book a triple and I’ll join you Wl

Saccades
    Free Member

It’s been 10 years since I lived there but…

For night life go up to Barrio Alto, use the tram/train thing or the lift that was designed by the guy that did the Eiffel tower next. River end is/was the more alternative part, Edward park end more touristy.
    Up to St George’s castle in the day, nice potter about with ace views – there is a lovely restaurant on the right near the top (has an open tiled area near it).
    Used to be a load of bars along the main road in the middle (it’s a copy of the centre of paris), very expensive, head away one street and the price drops. Oh, stop regularly at the tiny bars selling Ginjinha, a kind of cherry liquor stuff.
    The Brazilian restaurant (journalists club) is brilliant and not crazy prices.
    Elefante Branco – Nice to visit, similar to lots of bars in soho – get a “no minimum drink” flyer from your hotel.
    Nearest nice beach is casciais neck of the woods (least when I lived there), nice train journey out, there are others that are better but you need a car.
    Avoid balam late at night, but great the rest of the time, well worth a visit to that and monument to the discoveries.

Flaperon

Learn the Portuguese for “F*** off” since you’ll need it every five minutes or so in the city centre when approached by drug dealers / counterfeit sunglass sellers / accordion players etc.

Used to be nice but the recession has left it a dump. It’s the only city I feel unsafe in – ranking, IMHO, below places like Beirut, Bucharest, and Naples.

The north of Portugal is beautiful and friendly, however, and entirely different to Lisbon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lisbon: anyone been? Recommendations please…’ is closed to new replies.