Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Liquid Iron (Feroglobin B12)
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I recently started taking a liquid iron supplement as a result of feeling fatigued quite often. I did my first ride for about 4 weeks last wednesday and this weekend I did my longest ride for a good few years. Normally I would have been spanked, but I felt good and didn't feel shattered today and even managed a 1 hour gentle recovery ride.

Now I have no idea whether this liquid iron stuff has helped or not, but my rides this weekend felt good.

Anyone else have any experiences of whether this stuff or any other liquid iron helps ?

cinnamon_girl

I have used liquid iron (Floradix) for donkey's years. My body does not store iron very well plus coffee affects my levels.

I did stop taking it for a month and, boy, did I notice the difference.

I'm sure someone will be along to say it's a load of old tosh. 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have used liquid iron (Floradix) for donkey's years. My body does not store iron very well plus coffee affects my levels.

I did stop taking it for a month and, boy, did I notice the difference.

I'm sure someone will be along to say it's a load of old tosh.
    That is very interesting. Does coffee affect Iron levels in general ?

Cougar

Sceptically, I'd suggest reading up on the placebo effect before jumping to any conclusions.

Seriosuly though, if it has actually helped then I'd go see your GP, or a nutritionist. If you're iron deficient (anaemic) then you either need an iron supplement or need to increase the amount of iron in your diet. If your diet is the cause then fixing that will always be better than any supplement. If your diet is fine, there could be other problems. Go to the doctor.

Cougar

"coffee affects my levels"

Specifically, caffiene impairs your body's ability to absorb iron. It has nothing to do with existing levels, you'll just waste some of the ingested iron if you wash it down with a brew.

Cougar

(this lot is all from memory based on my dealings with an ex who suffered from amaemia, incidentally; I'd double-check this advice, as you should with all information given on Internet forums).

flanagaj
    Free Member

I suppose having a starbucks filter coffee with your breakfast and lunch won't help matters. Especially when I am not a snacker and tend to just eat 3 meals a day

cinnamon_girl

I have had blood tests, am borderline anaemic. On group rides I amuse folk by saying "I need to eat NOW" and tuck into my usual sandwiches! Blood sugar level can plummet so need to be careful.

Nothing wrong with my diet, I eat liver once a fortnight. Just have an inefficient body. 🙄

project
    Free Member

Iron deficency anaemia is what i suffer from ,pop along to the GP, and get a blood test, that wil tell him your HG state, should be about 14 to 16, mine went down to 5.2, 2 months off work,and 4 units of blood overnight helped,eat plenty of green stuff, cut down on coffee, exercise.

Oh and expect to go from 12 stone to 15 stone plus for some reason,you may also be sent for a barium xray, and have some nice picolax.

cinnamon_girl

Of course women are physically different to men so that needs to be considered.

bighendo
    Free Member

hahaha ! classic …
    iron deficiency needs to be considered daily
    not once a fortnight
    change your diet and forget supplements
    how old are you?
    how often do you ride?
    overweight?
    smoker?
    not having a go here just trying to help 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Don't take iron supplements & milk at the same time. If kids are in the house then keep the iron supplements safe – very serious in overdose, whether deliberate or accidental.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats wrong with iron suplements and milk?

My evening routine consists of whey protein in milk (slower digesting), a multivit/mineral tablet (contains iron amongst 101 other things), zinc and glucosamine+condroitin.

Also have……….
    Vit B's, vit C and creatine before a ride, and creatine after.
    Glucosamine+condroitin (a big ~1500mg tablet) 3x a day

I'm not dead so what am I doing wrong/right?

Some of it may be placebo, but probably less of a placebo than a thompson stem, and a heck of a lot cheeper.

cinnamon_girl

change your diet and forget supplements

In theory yes. In practice no. I don't have a perfectly functioning body (does anyone?) but over the years have listened to it. I think you are simplifying this. There are too many variables involved.

Only other supplement I take is glucosamine – reckon I'm in pretty good shape for over 50. 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Liquid Iron (Feroglobin B12)’ is closed to new replies.