• This topic has 31 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Liquid Breakfast?
  • Olly
    Free Member

I realise there is no substitute for being organised and getting up early, but I am one of those people who doesn’t bother getting up early enough to have breakfast. This means, that on the odd occasion I bother to cycle to work, I bonk about 10miles in. Assuming I won’t change my wicked ways, could I take “breakfast” in a water bottle? Carb/glucose mix to drag me up the pig of a slog hill between me and the office?

andeh

Sloppy porridge in a camelback, do it…..do it now.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Bonking on your commute? Get fitter.

Or maybe hold back a bit if you’re just going for it all the way.

A bit of sugar won’t hurt – I’d probly go with haribo or a nana rather than fluid, but it’d do the same job.

stumpy01

Just eat a banana before you leave the house.

scaled
    Free Member

Something isn’t right if you can’t do 10 miles on an empty stomach!

JEngledow
    Free Member

PLUS

wrecker
    Free Member

pure fine oats with milk?

http://www.theproteinworks.com/pure-fine-oats-4694.html
    £5.49 for 1kg, plain or flavoured.

I drink some before a ride when I can’t face anything heavy. Works a treat.

ton

for goodness shake before you leave the house, ace stuff.

faustus

Some Mad Dog 20/20 should see you through…

jota180
    Free Member

During the lighter months, I do 25-35 miles before breakfast without issue, I’m not particularly fit either.

I think there’s something wrong if you’re depleted after 10 miles

jonnyrockymountain

Mad dog 20/20 now that brings back memories of 20 years ago!!!

Olly
    Free Member

Bobnk is probably an exageration, but I am no where near as fit as I should be. Too many tow path rides to the pub. Anything that helps me get back on the bike to commute, rather than in the car, would be a winner.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Sounds like you possibly can’t be bothered with eating dinner the night before either?
    Or if you are, what exactly are you having for your dinner?

lunge

If I ride my short commute I happily get by on an espresso and eat when I arrive, the longer version (40 miles) needs proper food, bowl of oats soaked on yoghurt with some fruit.

However, you didn’t want to know that, you wanted a quick and easy breakfast. A banana or 2 would the easiest, you can even eat it as you’re riding along. You’re idea of a drinkable breakfast is not bad but I would avoid sugary “sports drinks” and aim for (sugary) smoothies or such like.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you don’t fancy ‘ breakfast’ before you set off riding just eat something you do fancy, a few biscuits, milkshake as someone else has suggested, anything, anything at all should stave off your empty feeling after 10 miles.
    No point in feeling crap on the bike and it being a horrible chore. My old commute was 18 miles long draggy shallow climb pretty much felt like the whole way there and I used to have porridge half hour before I set off….I’d still have to eat by the time I had got there, got changed and was ready to rock n roll…….and always made sure I’d eaten before I’d set off home…….but then I am diabetic and if I didnt I wouldn’t have made it 😆
    Shotbloks are really palatable and easy to swallow a couple of them should see you through an hours commute.

MoreCashThanDash

Banana and a coffee, and eat the evening before.

If that doesn’t fix it, get a proper doctor to do some tests.

jools182
    Free Member

scaled – Member
    Something isn’t right if you can’t do 10 miles on an empty stomach!

I be puking before I even got to the end of the road

I feel awful if I don’t eat after getting up

chvck
    Free Member

I’m going to try having Joylent for breakfast soon, and the odd meal when I get in really late and just want something to eat before bed. A mate of mine is trying it atm and seems to rate it so far but it’s still early doors.

Olly
    Free Member

That’s pretty much it suggsy. Its 17 miles of climbing, along a rough A road…. And I own two cars. I also tend to only give myself an hour which pushes the tempo a bit too hard. My OH is a vegi Barry, and I have an exceedingly high metabolism. Smoothies not a bad idea. Just thinking of things I can chuck in a bottle and drink on the way. Partly for energy, partly to relieve the boredom, partly so I don’t spend my first hour of work eating. If I get into the groove of it, I will look at taking more interesting routes, but that pushes it toward 25miles each way.

shermer75
    Free Member

I def couldn’t do ten miles on an empty stomach!! 🙂

zippykona

Buy manky bananas. Freeze them.
    Buy yoghurt pour into ice cube trays.
    Before bed put nanas,yoghurt, handful of porridge and any other frozen fruit in blender.
    Next morning it’s all melted just press the button.
    Gulp and go.

sbob
    Free Member

So your other half doesn’t eat bacon.
    That doesn’t mean she can’t cook you bacon in the morning, saving you time and filling your tummy with delicious bacony goodness. 😀

philwarren11
    Free Member

Diet Whey Protein for me now and again when in a rush.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html

wrecker
    Free Member

Oats! Low GI (slow burning) carbohydrate. Same as porridge. It really works!
    Some of those pure fine oats I linked to (get chocolate flavour) with milk will go down really easily.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Smoothies? Chuck stuff in blender, press button, put in drinks bottle;
    Smoothie recipes

Or some trail mix?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I regularly ride 30 miles to work on an empty stomach. I don’t stop eating for the rest of the day though.

Lifer
    Free Member

I love a post commute binge. Especially as the snack van comes 3 times a day with a variety of pork based treats. Nom nom nom

scaredypants

I do like the way the Joylent website is all green

… wonder what it’s really made of 😯

inbred853

Been having a liquid breakfast since the Xmas holidays and return to work. I’m not much of a brekkie eater in the morning and my time is limited getting junior inbred853s ready for school.
    I bought a Breville Blend Active and now wiz up a shake in the morning to either drink then or when I get into work.
    Usual recipe – 1/2 a cup of porridge oats, actimel type yogurt drink, banana, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, or what ever fruit is going, lastly add water to top and blend away, easily does me to lunchtime.
    I went to Costco and bought frozen berries in bulk which worked out way cheaper than fresh.

mtbel
    Free Member

I regularly ride 2-3hours on an empty stomach. As with Mister P. I eat lots throughout the day.. I’m only ever hungry in the morning if I’ve done a long nightride or had hardly any sleep the night before .

Keep at it, your body will adjust.

butcher

Breakfast drink you say? Weetabix already have this one covered.

I’d just take something to eat though, if I was that much in a rush. Maybe a breakfast bar or something.

andyl
    Free Member

Sloppy porridge in a camelback

Is that a euphemism for something else? 😯

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Liquid Breakfast?’ is closed to new replies.