Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Linux and viruses.
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Should I be worried? Do you run a virus scanner of some sort?

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, just go about your day…

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Thanks, but why?

Cougar

Custard cream, anyone?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Yes please. I’ll have one while I wait for a sensible answer…

unklehomered
    Free Member

While i sort of know why, I’m not really knowledgeable enough to explain in a clear way, this article is pretty good. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/ though old, it covers basics.

Its harder to trick someone to introduce malware to a linux system. And viruses need to propogate to be successful, the simple truth of numbers means to do this, you target the most prevelent, and easy to infect OS system, which is , you’ve guessed it…

AV for linux does exist, Avast being the most familar…

The advantage of AV for linux is a gives you safe way of checking removeable drives exposed to external windows systems, windows virus CANNOT infect linux, but linux AV can detect and sort windows virus on flash cards etc.

Now, Bourbon cream and a double espresso please cougar if you’re buying (i got them last time).

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Thank you

purpleyeti
    Free Member

also if you do find a virues scanner for *nix let me know, as all most of them do is scan you system for windows virues, all well an good for a corprate file server but pretty pointless for a home system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Linux and viruses.’ is closed to new replies.