Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • linking Edinburg airport to aviemore
  • juan
    Free Member

What is the most convenient form of public transport to go from Edinburgh airport to Aviemore?

I’ll have a bike bag and a big bag probably

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

that would be the train to perth then up to aviemore from there …..

bus`s here in scotland are royal **** with bikes … you MIGHT get on it … but you MIGHT not … mate of mines got refused with a snowboard (in a bag)despite asking when he booked the ticket ! (and its smaller than a bike bag)

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes, bus into Edinburgh then train up. You can save a few m by changing at Haymarket rather than Waverley station.

I took a bike to Aviemore on the train last year, it was fine. You’ll need to book though

Swello
    Free Member

Yep – Get to Haymarket station and get the Inverness train. There are limited bike spaces, so you need to book – info here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/travelinfo/cycle-info.html

Inverness train Timetable here: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/files/1Edinburgh-Glasgow-Inverness.pdf

molgrips
    Free Member

Ride it you pansy.

AlasdairMc

if you can’t get your kit on the bus, the cheapest way is to get a taxi to South Gyle station and get the train from there – it’s on the Inverness line and only a couple of miles from the airport.

EDIT – ignore, timetable doesn’t show South Gyle at all despite it existing.

geoffj

Don’t you have to change platforms at Haymarket, which would involve steps or a lift? If you stay on until Waverley, the change would be on one level.
    When for, and how many of you are there going to be?

Edit – isn’t South Gyle officially called Edinburgh Park?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve had bike bags and snowboards on the airport bus (not at the same time) should be fine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Geoff he won’t be changing trains at either station – just getting a train. Some of Waverley’s platforms are up and down stairs.

geoffj

So in summary –
    Airport Bus to Waverley and then (Inverness) train to Aviemore.

ml
    Free Member

Edit – isn’t South Gyle officially called Edinburgh Park?

South Gyle and Edinburgh Park are separate stations: Wikipedia link.

druidh
    Free Member

Juan – let me know when you’re coming over. I might be able to help you out, even if it’s only for part of the journey.

col642
    Free Member

One that hasn’t been mentioned…
    There’s a very regular bus service from edi airport to Inverkeithing rail station in Fife. Trains north can be taken from here but you would have to change at Dundee.
    The bus has had 6 people on it at the most on the 7 or 8 times I have used it and has plenty luggage space. I don’t think you would have a problem boarding. Google airdirect747 for bus details.

doug_basqueMTB.com

On every some trains from Ed to Aviemore you’ll have to change at Perth. Means lugging bags over a couple of platforms. It’s because the trains from Glasgow and Edinburgh each take turns to be the straight through train and the other one has to change over in Perth! I’ve done the journey lots as I lived in Glasgow but grew up north of Inverness and go up there a lot with bikes, it’s a beautiful journey, get a window seat.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘linking Edinburg airport to aviemore’ is closed to new replies.