Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Lings Cars vs the Advertising Standards Authority
  • wwaswas

This is brilliant.

Troll on Pistonheads get upset with her for calling him an idiot and puts in complaint to ASA about a fake DeLorean deal she has running on her site.

She explains to the ASA what’s happening, they continue regardless.

She has the whole correspondence on her site;

http://www.lingscars.com/images/pdf/asa2.pdf

The ASA seem to have failed grasp what’s going on here. I can’t wait for the conclusion – she’ll probably be asked to include the words ‘this is not a real advert’ on the page somewhere and will revel in lots o publicity whilst the ASA are pilloried.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I remember reading this on PH a few weeks ago. It’s all got a bit silly hasn’t it.

Ling will undoubtedly do very well out of it (unfortunately).

geordiemick00
    Free Member

love it, and respect to business owners who reserve the right to have a sense of humour in their business. Its a shame the government didn’t sort the ASA out when they merged quashed most of the quango’s….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Although my wife would probably believe me if I said I was buying a new DeLorean, I still think Ling is right.
    I love her attitude and if I were in the market for a lease car I’d be straight on her web site!

dooosuk
    Free Member

ASA have no place to go. Ling is clearly contravening advertising rules but is successfully making light of it by claiming it’s obviously a joke. My Mrs certainly wouldn’t know it’s a joke and I’m sure possibly more than 50% of the population could also concievably believe it true.

Her marketing strategy is very impressive though.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus I hate people who publish email correspondence publicly. Sorry thats a bloody own-goal there. with lesser detail she could have added a simple paragraph explaining whats going on to win her attention. Sorry, I’m out Ling.

wwaswas

the ASA would eventually publish it all anyway in their ruling?

I suspect she’s had no sales enquiries as a result of that page so clearly people looking for a new car either a) don’t want a DeLorean or b) know it’s not a real offer?

will
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member
    ASA have no place to go. Ling is clearly contravening advertising rules but is successfully making light of it by claiming it’s obviously a joke. My Mrs certainly wouldn’t know it’s a joke and I’m sure possibly more than 50% of the population could also concievably believe it true.

Her marketing strategy is very impressive though.

Agree with this really.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why is email any different to other correspondence?

wwaswas

She’s about to put something from the information commissioner about her cookie policy online…

footflaps

She could just put a little footnote on the website saying ‘NB This car doesn not exist and this is just a fictional example’ or something.

Whole thing is a storm in a tea cup.

hora
    Free Member

Why is email any different to other correspondence?

Its a discussion, an interaction between two businesses. Would it be right and proper for the ASA to publish another parties correspondence on their site and saying ‘look!’ ‘See’! (essentially?).

Its not professional. Theres being a character and theres good practice. I think shes crossed a line. Its unprofessional.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its not professional.

Neither is her website.

hora
    Free Member

Its floss/borders/fonts around the exact same product/price/details that almost every single one of her competitor uses.

Whats unprofessional is her response to critism. Why waste a legit organisations time playing to the crowd for increased-exposure?

When I was looking into my lease car I looked at her prices and they were way-off alot of her competitors. Only the lazy will buy from someone that shouts and waves ribbons alot.

Cougar

Neither is her website.

Quite the opposite, it’s self-aware and very intentional. I first heard of her by someone going “wow, look at this website”, and I expect I’m far from the only one. It’s a very clever bit of marketing.

Cougar

Why waste a legit organisations time playing to the crowd for increased-exposure?

You’ve answered your own question there.

Only the lazy will buy from someone that shouts and waves ribbons alot.

Plenty of lazy people in the world looking to rent cars.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so I accept that it’s from the Barry Scott school of marketing – so bad you’ll remember it…. my comment was tongue in cheek.

hora
    Free Member

Plenty of lazy people in the world looking to rent cars.

Plenty of people piss upto ten grand up the wall in depreciation though- especially on Vauxhall, Ford etc.

Like I said – the lazy accept her deals. The savvy go straight to the manufacturer and say ‘look at what I can get’.

phil.w
    Free Member

What’s unprofessional is her response to criticism. Why waste a legit organisations time playing to the crowd for increased-exposure?

What rubbish.

Are you of the opinion that no company should ever fight an ASA complaint as it wastes everyone’s time?

The fact she has made it public costs the ASA no more than if it was going on behind closed doors, they have gone through exactly the same process.

hora
    Free Member

Can you understand that she did it to waste time with an ulterior motive for self-promotion?

The ASA receives alot of complaints, investigates and imagine how many argue/rude etc etc. They don’t just deal with the big companies- but many many small ones too. Its childish timewasting.

Oh and Ling- I know you sit googling your name on google and have posted on this site in the past. Its not big and its not clever.

stever
    Free Member

There are people that seek attention on the internet? Every day I learn something new!

dooosuk
    Free Member

hora’s one of them 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Oh and Ling- I know you sit googling your name on google and have posted on this site in the past. Its not big and its not clever.

Clearly, based on this thread, you have a bit of a thing for Ling. 🙂

Was it you who made the original complaint to the ASA? Doing so because she called you an idiot on Pistonheads that really is wasting the ASA’s time! 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

I know you sit googling your name on google

It’s the best place to do it.

hora
    Free Member

Was it you who made the original complaint to the ASA? Doing so because she called you an idiot on Pistonheads that really is wasting the ASA’s time!

No- I thought it was something you were known for?

phil.w
    Free Member

Which? Calling you an idiot or making complaints?

If it’s the former, I think everyone’s guilty. 😉 The later, no, I’m not so precious that I have to complain about what someone might say about me on an internet forum. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’ve only ever made one complaint to the ASA – I think it was something to do with Virgin (I ‘think’ it was to do with a new-launch division to do with cancer cover insurance) that they’d splashed over a advertising hoarding- I found it offensive whereas Macmillian etc tend to be understated/informative with the right balance of awareness raising.

Lifer
    Free Member

So she reported herself to the ASA?

deadslow

Whatever the rights and wrongs, made me have a chuckle at the end of a manic day!

spacemonkey

Neither is her website.

So much so that I’d suggest anyone visiting does so with one’s volume OFF.

spacemonkey

Quite the opposite, it’s self-aware and very intentional. I first heard of her by someone going “wow, look at this website”, and I expect I’m far from the only one. It’s a very clever bit of marketing.

Nah, not for me. All very 90s and puts me right off. I’ll even leave the barge pole by the entrance as I turn away.

bearnecessities

Mildly funny, but I’ve seen better on here…

I’m with Hora on the publication element (I think), same publicity and joke could have been made while obfuscating the name of lady from ASA, something just doesn’t sit right about that.

marcus7
    Free Member

I dont get this x% of the population may not know about deloreans etc, If i did not know about something like say the DMC12 then i might do something called “a bit of research” ie find out a bit more about it. I might even go on wiki and type in “Delorean DMC12” to find out more!, i might even search for a delorean dealer to see if i could have a test drive… who knows i might even ask on STW!. What i probably wouldn’t do is try an sign up for a 3 year lease on a car i never heard of, never seen and never driven! still maybe there are lots of people out there that would!

hora
    Free Member

I bet it stressed the shit out of the ASA girl. Wondering her grammar/etc may get picked at or her tone quested etc as its not normally laid out verbatim for all to see. Unfounded but I imagine she didnt giggle herself. A gungho business woman wouldnt see this though.

andyrm
    Free Member

I love this!!

You know what, she could have bowed down to the ASA and their nasal voiced clipboard enforcers, or done the smart move, poked some fun and gained a ton of awareness.

Smart business move, bit of a gamble, but from what I have read of Ling before, she’s quite the renegade and fair play to her. We need more free thinkers and innovators who aren’t afraid to shake it up a bit!

🙂

ski
    Free Member

We need more free thinkers and innovators who aren’t afraid to shake it up a bit!

Well said

grum
    Free Member

I bet it stressed the shit out of the ASA girl. Wondering her grammar/etc may get picked at or her tone quested etc as its not normally laid out verbatim for all to see. Unfounded but I imagine she didnt giggle herself. A gungho business woman wouldnt see this though.

Seems like a classic example of ‘handwringing’ and ‘being offended on someone else’s behalf’. I believe you’re a big fan of that hora. 🙂

bearnecessities

Seems like a classic example of ‘handwringing’ and ‘being offended on someone else’s behalf’

Can’t speak for Hora, but that’s not the issue for me.

It’s an issue to do with respecting an individual’s situation that they are just doing what they are paid to do by their organisation. Posting personal details on the internet of an employee, without consent, is not fair game, and steps beyond what should be done by a company, whether they want to portray themselves as a bit clever arse or not. Do you think STW would do it? If you ran a large company, would you do it? It’s naff & unprofessional.

FWIW, ASA have to deal in facts presented, and with what is presented from Ling’s site, they have no other avenue than to uphold.

hora
    Free Member

Handwringing?

I’m more a neck-ringer. 😆

But I do have lashings of empathy. Maybe grum should stop and reflect.

wwaswas

So the person at the ASA is a ‘girl’ and Ling is a woman. How do these judgements on people come to be made.

It seems I this case that the poster sympathises with ‘girls’ and find ‘women’ a bit more tricky to deal with?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Lings Cars vs the Advertising Standards Authority’ is closed to new replies.