Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lincolnshire?
  • nedrapier

Another random one for the massed knowledge and experience of STW.

Not a corner of the UK I’ve been to before, seems like the kind of place that’s well suited to a chilled out weekend with the missus, camping or B&B, seaside, walking, half a day or a day in a rowboat, country lanes/towpath cycling, that sort of thing. The kind of things you might talk about on a thread about being middle-aged, now I come to think about it!

Anyone spent much time there? Where would be a good spot to stay for that sort of thing? Any other ideas for funtimes along the same sort of lines?

Thanks very much,

Ed

stumpy01

Not much experience of this kind of thing in Lincolnshire, even though I live just on the Cambs/Lincs border.
    BUT, for the weekend you describe I would recommend a trip to the Norfolk coast.

Somewhere around Cromer/Sheringham/Wells next the Sea, or perhaps if camping, Deepdale is a bit further west and there’s a good campsite there. You can book a Tipi there as well if you want something different (although this is pricey). Website here:
    http://www.deepdalefarm.co.uk/camping/index.asp

For campsites nearer Cromer/Sheringham, we’ve been to Woodhill Park.
    Kelling Heath is supposed to be good too, but is more of a large holiday park than a small-ish campsite. Tends to get booked up well in advance, so perhaps book early.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Grew up in various parts of Lincs. Can be a bit backward

Lincoln and the Wolds are worth visiting. Maybe one of the coastal towns as well. Boston is nice if you want to see how flat it can be.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I am a born and bred Fenlander. There isn’t much of interest there. If you like watching planes drop bombs you can go down to Shep Whites and watch RAF Holbeach get the crap blown out of it. If you want manky doughnuts and pasty whites then you can go to Skegness.
    The North has a few more hills once you get past the Wolds, but still not really much to recommend it, and then you end up in Humberside and it’s really terrible.
    The Norfolk Broads do boat hire, or certainly used to, and as long as you avoid going too far South into the elderly arena of Suffolk you should be safe.
    That being said, you will struggle to beat a good Lincolnshire Sausage.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id recommend going round the corner a bit and doing hunstanton to cromer. Burnhams are nice too.

Dun Cow in Salthouse is good for food and beer. Handy for a walk to blakeney point.

TooTall
    Free Member

The Lincolnshire coast is a great place to see muddy beaches and static caravans. As for the rest – just make sure you like fields of root vegetables! Lincoln itself isn’t a bad place for a weekend – or Stamford which gives you a few more options. The good food was about the only good bit about living in Lincs.

nedrapier

Ha! Seems I have an answer to the question “I wonder why I’ve never been to Lincolnshire?” I’d suspected as much, but didn’t want to jump to conclusions.

We lived near Colchester for a bit and we’ve had some good weekends in North Norfolk: round the Burnhams, Cromer, Mundersley, Broads, Fakenham, Wells next the sea…

Felt like something similar but different, but it sounds like Lincs just isn’t quite as nice!

I might leave a visit until I eventually take my frame into Dave Yates.

Cheers!

Back to the drawing board for this weekend then. 1st and second choices were Lakes and North Devon, but they’re rainy and flat respectively.

surfer
    Free Member

Lived in Lincoln for a couple of years. Town centre is nice and worth a visit.

surfer
    Free Member

1st and second choices were Lakes and North Devon,

Lakes every time for me, rain or not!!!

momo

I’m a Lincolnshire local, well a Lincoln local anyway, the people can bit a bit weird once you get out into the sticks 😉

I’m proud of my county but I’m not sure why as there’s not a lot to do here, as previously mentioned it’s predominately flat, and the coastal resorts are always full of rejects from the Jeremy Kyle show!

Lincoln itself is definitely worth a visit for a weekend, but for the type of holiday you want, I would look elsewhere.

sadexpunk

i live in lincoln too, and as the above have all said, bit crap for what youre after really. in fact its just a bit crap anyway if you like mountain biking :-/

matthewlhome
    Free Member

If you are happy with trips to places like Cromer and wells then the Lincolnshire coast ( quiet bits) will be fine. I would recommend staying somewhere in the wolds though and use it as a base. Plenty of gentle riding available round country lanes and gravelly bridleways and lots of nice pubs. Don’t believe the haters 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I was born in Boston 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

peak district?

redted
    Free Member

Well I like Lincolnshire, there are some real gems if you know where to look. The wolds are fabulous, I would suggest Tealby as a base, there are campsites and B&B’s and 2 good pubs and a tea shop. There’s Willingham woods for MTB’s,there’s even a feeride park. http://www.trailblazerz.net/
    we regularly manage off road rides of 2hrs + around that area and it’s very dry and not too grown up. Great road rides (check out mapmyride.com)
    Lincoln and Woodhall Spa are very nice and within easy reach. Some great walks and pubs, not alot of traffic.
    Try it, you might just like it?

sadexpunk

you are indeed correct mr redted, but the OP mentioned camping, seaside (skegness YUKKK), half a day in a rowboat and towpath cycling, in which case lincs is crap 🙂

but yes, theres some good riding in them there wolds 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I was born in Boston

So much explained right there.

redted
    Free Member

“camping, seaside (skegness YUKKK), half a day in a rowboat and towpath cycling, in which case lincs is crap ”

Plenty of good camping in the wolds and a very good one at at Woodhall Spa,with good facilitys and there’s the old railway line/traffic free cycle path that runs from there to Horncastle which has just had a load of work done to it which is pretty good. Cleethorpes isn’t that bad if the weathers good and the beach is really clean or it was last weekend, but admittedly you wouldn’t want a week there. There are some really nice quieter beaches (similar to Norfolk/Suffolk) down past Theddlethorpe towards Ingoldmelds which are mostly deserted apart from the odd bombing range and seal sanctuary.
    All personal opinion I know and not being argumentative. Different strokes for different folks.

rewski
    Free Member

Head to Grantham and check out Maggie Thatchers old house. Or Belvoir Castle pronounced Beaver I think, on what seems like the only hill in Lincs.

Norfolk coast is lovely, Holkham beach is amazing, stayed in Blakeney went and saw the seals, lots of walks.

molgrips
    Free Member

In all fairness my family is not from anywhere near there and I left when I was 4…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

+1 redted. Round belvoir castle is nice too. Had a good day out there last spring . Search out bel our valley MTB routes if interested

For seaside avoid skegvegas, but all you need to do is go 5 mins out of town to Gibraltar point and can spend all day there and only see a couple of people.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I went to a strip club in Lincoln once, all the girls were from skeggy or mablethorpe – It was awful – one of the most depressing nights out Ive had for a long while.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Redted- sounds like you ride near me. Do you go out in the evenings round Rasen / tealby area?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lincolnshire?’ is closed to new replies.