Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Limiting the number of bikes you have?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I've decided to impose a limit on myself of 3 bikes. I currently have a 5 Spot, a Major Jake CX bike and a Sanderson Soloist SS.

I like my Soloist but haven't ridden it much (my knee and SSing are not happy bedfellows) so here's the question.

If you had to make a choice between a nice SS (the Soloist) and a Curtis Hardtail which would you go with and why?

I think I know the answer already but I'm interested in the STW collective opinion

Cheers

Ken

brooess
    Free Member

Easily keep the Curtis – custom bike so hard to sell and presumably ace to ride?
    Plus you can ride it s/s if you fancy anyway – either by not changing gear or sticking a conversion kit on it (ok it won't look as nice as a dedicated s/s but you're asking for a clear recommendation!)

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm aiming for a similar 3 bike quiver. Orange ST4, Jake the Snake, and a Cotic Soul. I just need to save up for the Soul now, so I'd vote for the Curtis. I don't know much about them, but presume you could SS it in future if you desired.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

ken_shields

I've decided to impose a limit on myself of 3 bikes.

That's just crazy talk

heihei

Was going to limit myself to just 3, then 4, then 5….now just bought No. 8!!

wormhole

i have decided to limit it to 2??? have a planet x carbon SL for the road and a 5Pro for off road! to be honest this is fine, both are good at the job I ask them to do. As to your dilema…… get rid of the SS! strange habit and best nipped in the bud.

ken_shields
    Free Member

wormhole – Member
    As to your dilema…… get rid of the SS! strange habit and best nipped in the bud.

The SS police will have you excommunicated from STW for making comments like that 😯

hora
    Free Member

Get rid of the curtis and the soloist and replace both with a Sanderson Life. Best of both worlds that way.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oops I just bought a 4th bike, but it's a folding bike so it doesn't count.

ratadog

Oops I just bought a 4th bike, but it's a folding bike so it doesn't count.

Thank God for that, that means I only have three as well.

ken_shields
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Get rid of the curtis and the soloist and replace both with a Sanderson Life. Best of both worlds that way.

Had one of these 3 years ago when they came out

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I've had two for a while now, well on the way to having none for a short while.

They are either ends of the spectrum, xc hardtail and hardcore All mountain . . .

I just need one bike that can do it all.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You need 2 mountain bikes so you can ride one when the other is broke

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have a self-imposed limit of 5 (trail full-suss, XC full-suss, trail HT, XC ht, commuter/tourer) plus I've probably got the necessary bits (including frames) to built another couple most of the time.

I reckon I could go down to 3 if I wanted to but I don't necessarily think it'd save much cash, just some space.

trail_rat
    Free Member

limit ?

currently got 4 – looking at bikes 5 and 6 – at the same time no less :S

Might sell one ….. MIGHT

ddmonkey

3 is a magic number – it must be magic cos I've managed to limit my self to that. Actually if I'm honest its Mrs Monkey that has limited me to that.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Went from 4 to 3 and pleased. I also gonna get a new carbon HT frame sometime but I think i'll keep my old HT frame for the winter and use the Carbon in the summer – therefore I got the use of 4 bikes but only 3 cluttering the garage 🙂

RepacK
    Free Member

3???? ****…

Crell
    Free Member

… Hmmm. Must keep the wife away from this thread. I told her it was impossible.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

1 road, one HT. that is what Mrs JB calls bike saturation in our top floor flat. She doesn't know how good she's got it.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

My finances have limited me to 2 at the moment, from a high of 5 1/2.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The collapse of my domestic arrnagements has meant I've gone from having a massive shed to play around in to having a 1-bed flat.

I'm trying to get down to:

road racer
    mountain bike
    Cycle-to-work-scheme bike (which I can do without paying for suddenly out of net income, so can't dispose of)
    Big Dummy (which is far too useful)
    Brompton (which is far too useful)

The last 2 don't really count. If push comes to shove I could get rid of everything except the Big Dummy and the C2W (a Surly Karate Monkey). I may just do that, but I'm giving it time. 🙂

Andy

6…..down to 4 last year; Old Kona commute, 29er Ht, Trail FS and XC FS

and then I saw a Swift on the classifids and now back up to 5 🙁

flip
    Free Member

I've got bikes i don't use but i like to look at them 😉

I'm lucky enough to have the room, so i think why not indulge?

I've got 5…

showerman
    Free Member

ken you have to much money

AlasdairMc

My absolute limit is three as I'm limited by shed space, so the CX will have to wait – currently have a trail FS, steel HT and alu SS HT. If anything was to go, it'd be the SS as I've had it the longest and it's showing its age as it's my commuter.

oddjob
    Free Member

I am completely content with my 4 at the moment.

HT 29er
    road race bike
    road trainer/winter bike
    Road Rat for winter messing,forest roads and stuff.

Perfect for now, but I'm sure to "need" something different within 12 months…

Rivett
    Free Member

Just gone from 4 to 5 with the purchase of a downhill bike. I would go for the Curtis Hardtail in this case.

olddonald

Have touring and Cross – HT commute grand ride home tonight and full sus – looking to add two this year

the_lecht_rocks

my kaka'd hummer SS hasn't been used in anger, other than to the pub or the shops in 8 months……..

crazy !

Edric64
    Free Member

I cut down to eleven last year + a tandem

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Not many bmx's in peoples collections- or do they not count as 'proper' bikes

Ive got a ti456, inbred ss, merida road bike and felt bmx- tbh was considering getting rid of all but the 456 but that's as far as it's got!

zaskar
    Free Member

Doing the same as you Ken, narrowing my bikes down for space and use.

Selling my roadbike but nobody wants to pay even on good deals as they are strict with their cash flow with recession.

So built a commuter, have my mtb, have my roadbike.

Looking at selling my old sportive roadbike and my winter roadbike as I will be either turbo training or jogging this winter coming.

2 bikes for sale then! leaves 3 bikes. Sorted and more time to look after 3 than 5.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I have one mountain, one road and one bmx. Can't imagine having less than that really…

ken_shields
    Free Member

Had a good think tonight and **** it the curtis is going too as well as the SS and I'll just have to slum it around on my 5 spot and my CX bike so it's back to the classifieds for the frame and all the bits I've collected for the build then strip the SS too and get it sold

mamadirt
    Free Member

Frames don't take up too much room. I only have one bike (well, one build kit) but three frames/forks (Tazer, Stinky and Inbred). Saves me dropping cash when I fancy building something new but costs me a fortune in zip-ties swapping brake hoses back and forth 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Limiting the number of bikes you have?’ is closed to new replies.