Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Limestone flooring
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Working on a getting a new kitchen – love the look of limestone flooring but have been told you have to seal the floors regularly and look after them much more than tiles.

Anyone got limestone flooring and can share your experiences?

pymwymis
    Free Member

Don’t do it to yourself. I have it in a bathroom and it’s a PITA there let alone a kitchen with the additional detritus which will get dropped on it.

You will need to be anal about sealng otherwise it will stain like nothing else on earth and cleaning a substance that disolves in acid will be a nightmare.

Go for a ceramic or porcelains replica.

Stoner
    Free Member

You only seal once.

Our whole downstairs is limestone including kitchen area. 1,500 sq ft of the stuff. Ace. Easy to clean, works well with the UFH, good variations in tone to mask dirt between cleans.

Not sure what pym has done, but laid this myself and it’s very easy to live with.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I heard you needed to seal once a year.

I love the look of limestone and haven’t yet found a porcelain which is as nice.

Artisans of Devizes.

That is all.

richc
    Free Member

I have a seashell limestone floor in my kitchen (from Mandarin stone) laid in a opus pattern, I sealed the tiles front and back with fila fob, and then waxed them twice using fila satin wax, since then (18 months fitted) I just clean them using a mop and a bucket of water + a bit of wax, and avoid detergents.

Looks really really good, mind you the kitchen is 32 sqm so its a reasonable size.

I didn’t laid them myself as I chickened out out it as at 32 sqm in an Opus if it started to go wonky it would have been a lot of materials to waste, so I paid the £400 and let some else spend 4 days getting it just right.

I would avoid travertine as they are full of holes due to the nature of the material, which isn’t great in kitchens

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I think Limestone…

Tiger6791

We have 600*600 Jura Limestone Tiles.

They are just lovely with loads of fossils in them they look great.

If I had the choice again I’d go for something more robust!!

Drop a glass of Red wine or Fruit juice and your basically knackered

richc
    Free Member

Drop a glass of Red wine or Fruit juice and your basically knackered

Really, I’ve dropped red wine, fruit juice and all kinds of stuff and mine and its still great.

What did you seal and wax it with?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Rich – so this hasn’t been an issue then?

Davesport

Lino

Stoner
    Free Member

Im with richc on this. I slosh el plonko rosso around the place like a Bacchanalian windmill and I just wipe it up. Never a stain on my limestone.

filafob for sealing, one treament
    http://www.filasolutions.com/en/products/full-range/protectors/stain-protectors/filafob.html

filasatin for the finish
    http://www.filasolutions.com/en/products/full-range/waxes/liquid-and-paste-waxes/filasatin.html

Ive only ever applied the wax once in 3 years too. Coz Im lazy. Ive been meaning to do another wax, but its not because of any staining.

pymwymis
    Free Member

In fairness to those who have had good experiences with limestone, I have travertine, which is as described above holey (a bit like crunchie – the sugar based snack). I have seen it “crush” where it’s been used on the floor due to the lack of structural integrity.

So I guess I’m saying is, not all limestone is the same – make sure you take your time and choose good stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I damn near weed myself on Stoner’s floor. But made the effort to get to the loo as it was limestone. Good to know it’s not such a worry now. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I damn near weed myself

Incontinence is a well known symptom of old age you know….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lucky you’ve sealed your floor quite well then.

richc
    Free Member

Rich – so this hasn’t been an issue then?

Sorry for the delay missed that I had a question…..

No problems at all, wouldn’t have a problem recommending it to anyone.

I did the same as Stoner, sealed with Fila Fob, two coats of fila satin wax and that’s it bar cleaning once a fortnight with a mop + water and a bit of wax in it.

My house is very messy/like a building site so its not had an easy life.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

This is good to hear. We’ve got two kids, a dog, a rabbit and a few bikes so it’s going to get a bit of wear and tear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Limestone flooring’ is closed to new replies.