Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lime scale removal – sink
  • jiff
    Free Member

Folks,
    Have bought a house & the stainless steel kitchen sink is ok, but plastered in limescale around where the mixer tap goes through the body of the sink itself.
    I will be replacing the tap, but in the meantime want to remove the limescale.
    As ever, many contradicting opinions on the net about what works – either home made remedies (vinegar & water mix) or specific products.
    Anyone used either to,particularly good effect please ?
    Thanks
    J

kormoran
    Free Member

lemon juice

If there’s any left after tonight, obviously 😀

edit just seen your name!

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks kormoran. My name nothing to do with plastic lemons – but I like your thinking

Tracey

Used cotton wool soaked in neat white vinegar and left overnight on the lime scale with good results

theotherjonv

proprietary descaler spray – lime lite is the one we usually go for. But it can only clean the bit it touches so if you have a build up you may need to spray it, leave it, spray some more, leave some more, and so on

nickc

mild acid like vinegar or lemon juice is all you need

jiff
    Free Member

Excellent. Thanks all. Think I will try the ‘au natural’ method first, then nuke it with with spray afterwards if needed

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cotton wool soaked in nitric acid.

Stand well back* and throw a match** at it.

*down the street
    **you ain’t seen me, right?

EDIT – I misread as “LARGE scale removal”

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Drink 12 cans of Strongbow and pee on it first thing in the morning. Only way to be sure

andy4d

Viakal from tesco or a tub of citric acid from the chemist works for me. I use the viakal to clean limescale from our shower and citric acid for the toilet cisterns. Get funny looks at the pharmacy buying the citric acid….Apparently it’s used to cut/bulk drugs. 😯

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Any acid will do the job. However avoid anything Hydrochloric Acid based on stainless.

If you are diluting vinegar or making a citric acid solution then use hot water as the resulting solution will work far quicker if applied when hot

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s always the cola option! Used some to free a seized seatpost ~20 years ago, after turning bike upside down and leaving it for a day or so.

globalti
    Free Member

Cola contains phosphoric acid, which will also work. Any acid WC cleaner will also do.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lime scale removal – sink’ is closed to new replies.