Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lightweight upper body armour
  • RicB

I’m starting to get into DH and figure I should get some armour and a neck brace. I already have some great TLD elbow pads so I’m looking for a sleeveless top with shoulder protection (i.e. not a vest). Must have 1621-2 certified back protection.

And there isn’t anything! Seriously, everything that fits the bill is out of stock of all sizes (I need medium) or discontinued!

Dainese Rhyolite (can remove the sleeves)
    Bluegrass Grizzly back & shoulder (sounds like a shampoo for the hirsute gentleman!)
    Forcefield Pro x-v-s
    TLD 7850
    661 Evo Compression
    Alpinestar Evolution
    Evoc Protector (CRC have this in med but it’s a bit pricey)

Am I missing something, or is it just the wrong time of year to be buying?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

One word, Leatt. The S is actually an S/M.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/leatt-body-tee-3df-airfit-lite-2017/rp-prod149218

Available in loads of MX stores as well.

RicB

Thanks – I’ll be going for a Leatt neck brace so that’s probably a good match up.

Assuming you’ve got one? What’s it like for all-day comfort? I’m thinking of enduro races too…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not ridden with one, but I’ve heard good things.

IMO, there’s not much point into body armour if it’s too light so as not to mitigate a good hit – the En-1621-2 specification is split into two subcatergoris level 1 and 2 – not sure the Evo 661 meets level 2 – does the Leatt?

RicB

True, but realistically if it’s too uncomfortable I’ll find excuses not to wear it.

I think they’re both level 1, most mtb stuff is. The force field is L2 for back.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, I certainly can’t see how it would be more uncomfortable than the forcefield or even some of the others…any reviews?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve got the Troy Lee 5850 and it’s light enough to wear all day. I’ve had a few big offs with it on and I’m sure it’s helped. Typically have had bigger odds with it not on and am still recovering from that one!

My mate had a POC D30/VPD one and it was super sweaty and he now uses the TLD too.

oldtalent
    Free Member

The tld 78## is very good. I’ve bounced off the floor a few times and it’s most definitely saved me from injuries. Well priced, well made and lightweight. Have used it for enduro but wouldn’t on a hot day, mainly for dh and uplifts.

RicB

Thanks all- will decide between TLD and Leatt 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I can recommend the Leatt Airfit. It’s the proper impact padding stuff rather than just foam that most of the light weight TLD ones are. Ok it didn’t stop me breaking my ribs when I cleaned up a tree in Canada but I doubt anything short of being in a tank would have and I didn’t have any other bruises or scrapes.

It’s shrugged off the all the other offs I’ve had.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Also that leatt posted above looks like they have improved the passing coverage as well since I bought mine.

arcadian
    Free Member

I bought the vest version of the leatt 3df, albeit the 2015 model when it was pretty cheap on sale earlier this year.
    It looks like it has thicker 3df padding than the one linked, so maybe the newer one has more airflow – my one can get pretty warm and sweaty, but that was only an issue pushing up and didn’t feel in the way at all when I was going downhill.
    It worked well the one time I crashed in it – not a direct impact, rolled over after jumping off the bike and judging from the bruise/scrape right before the 3df padding likely saved me a bit of pain.

Northwind

TBH torso protection has a pretty hard job just because it has your whole body behind it, so these lighter suits aren’t generally a great idea- they tend to lack outright protection/coverage but also they’re not as well retained, more likely to move around. OTOH, I’d have said get a proper dh suit but elbowless ones seem to be out of fashion? The old 661 assault suit would have been grand…

TBH considering how the pricing works, getting a full suit with elbows probably makes more sense even though you already have elbow pads. Going without elbows restricts your choice so much. A well fitting dh suit shouldn’t be uncomfortable- I have an IXS suit that I think of as my jousting armour, it’s a bulky, encompassing thing but it’s like a second skin once on and feels pleasingly solid.

Of the padded baselayer sort, personally I wouldn’t buy any but Forcefield at least make superb protective elements. I think from memory if you remove the arms of the Dainese you also lose the shoulders. The TLD is very comfy and has good coverage, I liked how it felt but it seems to be CE 89/686 rated which is a workplace standard- hard to know how that compares to the body armour ratings but, well, here’s what it’s rated for:

“minor impacts and vibrations which do not affect vital areas of the body and whose effects cannot cause irreversible lesions (light anti-scalping helmets, gloves, light footwear, etc.)”

I’ve never seen the others in the flesh, the Leatt is interesting.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The 2017 leatt looks better vented than the previous ones as well. Personally Id go with the short sleeve version and run some of the poc vpd dh elbows with the hard plate so you slide a bit better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight upper body armour’ is closed to new replies.