Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Lightweight tent & sleeping bag
  • matt_outandabout

@B.A.Nana
    I don’t have any pics online, but they are the business. Mine lasted from 1993-2009, having been battered through ML training and assessment(s), round the world (not with me in it sadly), and all four corners of the British isles.

It was thin, faded and crinkly from UV, but still hanging in there, until a drunk ran through it on the banks of the Spey… 🙁

matt_outandabout

Way too bulky and heavy for a MM.

This is more like it. 6g stove, 12g heat shield and titanium pot.

footflaps

OMM’s synthetic bag is ~400g and packs very small indeed, but it’s far from being warm.

I think I still have the 1st gen KIMM version somewhere in a cupboard…

marcus
    Free Member

Didn’t realise the jet boils and other systems were so heavy ! I’m not sure I’ve got the patience to wait for that to boil Matt.

boblo
    Free Member

Just get The Micro Rocket or any of the Ti flavoured clones. A bit of foil for a windshield and a 0.75l Ti mug and away you go. Having written that, the real MM bods probably exist on grass or something and don’t carry stoves.

footflaps
    northernerindevon

marcus – Member
    These guys seem to have some nice kit.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk

Any experiences ?

I’ve had quite a few bit and pieces from them over the past few years. Quick service and, so far, can’t fault them.

Not for tents and the like – I like to see those pitched first.

marcus
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Ive gone with:
    Terra Nova Photon – 774g
    Thermarest Neoair Xlite – 130g
    PHD Minim Ultra Down – 330g
    MSR Micro Rocket – 73g
    MSR Titan Kettle – 130g (less the lid)

Total of above is 1514g. With the weight of the sac, food, bottle of water and other stuff, Im hoping for under 3kg

matt_outandabout

I’m not sure I’ve got the patience to wait for that to boil Matt.

With the windshield and floor reflector in place, and above freezing, it is not slow….

convert

Im hoping for under 3kg

Well, your wallet will certainly be lighter too 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Good choices as they say in the nice restaurants.

The Laser will be more than that ready to roll. You’ll also probably want to replace the toothpicks with decent Ti pegs plus a couple of Y pegs for the main guys. I use 2 toothpicks for the inner ends, 6 Ti wire pegs for the rest and 2 Y pegs for the main end guys plus 2 spare Y pegs for the hoop guys which I rarely use. The toothpicks pull out if you even just blow on the tent.

Go careful with your sack choice, waterproofs etc and don’t carry stuff ‘just in case’. Be ruthless but sensible. E.g. I did a solo continuous Munro round and carried the extra weight of a SPOT – just in case….

marcus
    Free Member

Matt – Perhaps give 1 a try in due course.
    Covert – It is a bit scary to think I could have bought a car !
    Boblo – Yeah, you just dont know uhow its going to feel until you’ve ran with it for a few hours. Ive ordered a Montane Ultra 22 to see how it is for size / fit. It seems about right on paper and it can go back if i dont like the look of it.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight tent & sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.