Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • lightweight rotors – options and any to avoid?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

looking at some for my commuter, in 160mm probably.

I’m thinking there are alligator windcutters at 95g, for £20ish

alligator aries at 76g for £20ish

Superstar Flame at 98g for £13

or Hope floating lightweight for more like £34

any others to add or comments on the ones above…?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

never thought it was wise to save weight in the braking area my self

reggiegasket
    Free Member

No, I don’t really want to spend £34 that’s true, not wehn the Superstar rotor is £13.

As for weight, the bike gets used for all my commuting and roadie training so can be reasonably weenie, rather than just a workhorse.

neninja
    Free Member

I just run the rotors made by the calliper manufacturer.

I found lighter rotors were often less thick which increased the free play in the lever before the pads contacted the disc (as my brakes don’t have anything to adjust this).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got the superstar flames on my hardtail in 180/160 with M775 XTs.
    Quality is very good, been faultless. Recommended.

I’d previously had an Ashima airrotor 180 on the same bike and found that it pulsed in use. Changed it for that reason alone, it just felt weird but seemed to be functioning fine despite reduced surface contact. Very light.

If you really want floating rotors, then the superstar ones are again very good IMHO. I’ve got them on my F/S with M785 XTs. Love ’em.

Rik
    Free Member

Check out xc-racer website – the alligator rotors are a lot cheaper there.

brant
    Free Member

Northwind

The Hope ones aren’t actually all that light- I replaced a 160m floating Hope with a bog standard 160 Formula steel rotor and the Formula one was about 5 grams lighter.

Ashima Airotors seem good with some brakes, bad with others… I used them with my old Tektros and Shimanos- both used big rectangular Shimano pads, and worked well. Then tried them with my Oros, which use smaller squarer pads, and got a lot of minor pulsing. They actually still worked fine, they just felt weird.

Paceman
    Free Member

^^ What Brant said 😯 ^^

Not an area worth scrimping on!

Go with the type recommeneded for the brakes / forks / frame you have to ensure tolerances are correct.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve got an alligator on the front of one of my bikes and it pulses quite a bit, I’ve never been able to get rid of it either!

Might just be a one off though.

schmiken

I’ve got Alligators on all of mine, no problems.

mike_p
    Free Member

Best not to dick about with mission-critical components trying to save 30g-odd.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got aligators (windcutters and airies) on 2 of my bikes, no problems and I’m a 15st lump!

Brants looks like its tinfoil thin, so worn out not cheep!

Infact I’ve a spare set of 140/160 wind cutters in red if you want them, £20/pair? Selling as i’ve got 180/160 now.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Brants looks like its tinfoil thin, so worn out not cheep!

Aye, was just thinking that too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lighter rotors were often less thick which increased the free play in the lever

That can’t be ture for 2 resons, ‘1’ my aligators are at least as thick as the hopes, ‘2’ unless you’re still using C2’s the free play is determined by the seals in the calliper not the rotor thickness, otherwise free play would alter as the pads wear out!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all. I’ve gone for some Superstars in the end so we’ll see how they get on.

jambon
    Free Member

What calipers are you using – I’d like to know how you got in with them.

MarkN
    Free Member

The few grams that you may save are not worth it in my book. I want brakes that will work.

seosamh77
    Free Member

not be better just to get lighter tyres?

njee20
    Free Member

I use KCNC rotors on my race wheels, from XCRacer, they’re cheaper than Alligator, and lighter, work just as well as the Avids on my normal wheels too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘lightweight rotors – options and any to avoid?’ is closed to new replies.