Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lightweight rotors for road wheelset
  • thwapy
    Free Member

New road wheels are centre lock, happy to be corrected but from what I can see using 6 bolt rotors and an adapter is the lightest and cheapest set up?

Currently looking at Quaxar Ultralight 6 bolts at 69g for 160mm from xcracer.com

Anyone using them or a similar set up?

Kryton57

Although not centre lock, im using those 160 rotors on my race MTB and on the rear of my anthem.

Probably 10% less powerful than the stock shimano’s but it hasnt affected my riding.

thwapy
    Free Member

I have hydraulic brakes on the road bike so I am not worried about stopping power!

In fact I could easily get away with 140mm rotors but would sizing down be easy?

poah
    Free Member

for the tiny amount of weight difference get decent discs.

Kryton57

decent discs

Please free to state whats wrong with the quaxars or whats more decent? Seems an unqualified unecessary response otherwise.

thwapy
    Free Member

Agreed… could you back up that statement poah? I’ve already stated they are for my road bike, its not like I am trying to stop an enduro rig with them…

noltae
    Free Member

I’m using similar rotors – The Alligator Windcutters – I’ve experienced quite a bit of flutter from the front which I guess can be attributed to the cut away braking surface – They do the job – look good – but I would prefer not to have the flutter . I’ll probably go for something more conventional next time . .

100psi
    Free Member

I have shimano icetec Rotors and some lightweight Rotors from xcracer (Aries?) which are very light but I find the brake pad in my ultegra hydro setup, same as Xt I think? overhangs the rotor on the lightweight rotors which causes a slight burr as the pad wears down. This in turn causes the clearance to be tight and disk rub becomes hard to stop (unless I remove the pads and remove the burr)
    I have no issue with the shimano Rotors

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted SRAM CenterLine X CL rotors, which seem pretty light and have good action under braking.
    I’d not be keen to try cheap, lightweight rotors.

onewheelgood

I’ve had these on my Anthem for 3 years, no issues. Haven’t descended an alp with them though, nothing more severe than the Welsh trail centres and the Peak. 6g heavier than the Quaxars, but KCNC have a reputation for light stuff that works.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got the quaxars front and back (160mm) on my fat bike. They work fine in Welsh mountains with my oversized lump on board.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Quaxar with a DT Swiss adapter for the back worked well on my Trigger 29.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight rotors for road wheelset’ is closed to new replies.