Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lightweight hardtail for £1 -1.5k
  • Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

My wife's work has started the Cyclescheme so it's shopping time again!

She had considered a road bike, had a go on one of mine and then changed her mind. Next she thought about a hybrid but I suggested a hardtail with the addition of a change of wheels / tyres.

So far the Scott Scale 35 is looking a good option but is there any others we should consider?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Why not get a Hybrid? Best tool for the job if she's genuinely riding to work and doing the odd bit of light offroad. Also get a lot more bang for your buck, lighter and a very good hybrid like a Trek 7.6 WSD will still leave money over for a new helmet, SPD shoes, panniers etc. etc.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Or what about a cyclo x bike.Something like the Specialized Tricross?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

She will indeed be commuting on it (all be it from a park and ride closer to her work, 3 miles through town) but having discussed it a HT would get more use. Multi days away when her Stumpy FSR would be too much bike and other 'less severe' rides.
    She'll never be in a big hurry to get anywhere so won't need the speed of a road or hybrid and the commute isn't that much of a distance that the geometry of the HT would become an issue.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Get a Cube,best value around at the moment.

poppa
    Free Member

Could always try Boardman, 24.1 lbs and very good spec for 1k, probably one of the best value buys around if it fits your needs:*

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_Pro.html

*only buy if you are competent at setting up/servicing the bike yourself

abs6pk7
    Free Member

like young dave riley said. get a cube:-) have got myself cube reaction k18 …fab bike weigh in at 25lb full shimano xt runnin gear fox 32 f.series fork with remote lock at £1400 nothin else comes close to match spec for spec………… and it looks good:-) good luck with your bike shoppin……. 😛

Marmoset
    Free Member

Just seen these on chainreaction

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32967

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=32968

The price of the carbon version made me cry – I bought one a few months ago, thank god they don't have XL in stock, that's some consolation, great riding bike tho' 😀

Marmoset
    Free Member
    robarnold
    Free Member

I built up a Trek 8000 at work the other day and couldn't believe the quality of the parts that came out of the box for £1250…..full XT groupset, Juicys, Bonty tubeless ready wheels, Reba SL fork. Weighs about 24lbs without pedals and looks the business

*EDIT*
    Now available for less than £1100 at Evans, check it out:

Clicky clicky

Bargain-a-licious

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight hardtail for £1 -1.5k’ is closed to new replies.