Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lightweight 29er with rackmounts
  • Richo70
    Free Member

Hi

I’m looking for a hardtail 29er. I want rackmounts, so I can put the kids seat on and also use panniers on occasion.
    I would use it as an alternative to my Anthem 29er for muddier winter rides and to take on holiday, so I can carry the kids but also get out for a decent blast. I mainly ride XC type stuff, so I want it to be as light as possible. Ideally I would like a complete bike but I’m happy to build if I can find the right frame.
    There just isn’t many 29ers with rackmounts, that I can find. I don’t mind paying for a decent bike. Any options welcome.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got a Salsa El Mariachi. It’s not particularly light but it is very do-it-all. When I was shopping around I’d shortlisted Inbred or Surly Karate Monkey. It seems hardtail 29ers fall into two camps – XC race or steel adventurer types. You’ll probably need the latter so Surly, Salsa, etc and the Inbred.

I think the Salsa rackounts may not be quite standard so check if it can fit your kid seat. Maybe give Charlie the Bikemonger a ring.

Clink

Voodoo Bizango frame? Alu, rack mounts and sliding dropouts so geared or ss. Takes 120mm fork, though mate runs one rigid.

I have 2 frames for sale, 1 used, 1 new.

househusband

Cannondale Trail SL appears (images from Cannondale website) to have rack mounts.

(I’ve been looking at them closely recently and it was a consideration.)

hopefiendboy

my specialized carve does

scotroutes

Almost any aluminium Cube

richardthird

Anthem rider here too and I bloody love the 29er Inbred I built after finding a frameset on the classifieds here. Yes its a weighty bit of steel but go rigid and singlespeed and it can be proper light, fast, fun and cheap.
    Has rack mounts.

caspian
    Free Member

Maybe give Charlie the Bikemonger a ring.

Awesome shop but be a little wary: They quoted me one price on XT rotors and charged me another on a bike build. My bad for not spotting it when making balance payment. Only £25 difference but enough to make me not go back on principle

medoramas
    Free Member

Merida.

My BigNine 900 has lightweight alu frame, rack & mudguards bosses plus a mount for Hebie kickstand.

mrjmt
    Free Member

scandal 29er if you can find one

BillOddie

Surly Karate Monkey would be a good choice.

Super versatile.

I got mine from Charlie the Bikemonger and it’s been ace.
    To balance out the above I have used Charlie a few times and never had anything other than great service.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight 29er with rackmounts’ is closed to new replies.