Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lights (I know) – second Lumi or a Joystick?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Lumicycle currently have their annual sale on. I own a Lumi LED3 set up – spot lamp and two lead 5.2mah battery.

Most use is commuting in the winter, and the spot has been good on unlit roads. Battery lasts forever….

I want to up the light for night riding next winter, and also for 24 hour stuff.

Would a second bar mounted lamp (flood unit) or a helmet mounted light (say Joystick) be the better bet?

stumpy01

Hmmmm, given that the Lumi3 already chucks out a fair amount of light, I reckon a helmet lighted jobbie would be the best bet, especially if you are using it for off-road adventures – it will really help on twisty singletrack.

Joystick with the piggyback battery would give you plenty of light and juice for 24hr stuff.

Alternatively have a look at the likes of the new Spokeshirts lights for helmet mounting.
    Bit heavier & with a wired battery, but a lot of illumination for the money. My Owlet (the orignal Spokeshirts light) is way brighter than a Joystick.

ourmaninthenorth

Sounds sensible.

Joystick appeals becausse of its size and weight.

BadlyWiredDog

Or a Diablo? Helmet mountable but a load more output than a Joystick, use with a Piggyback for better burn times.

ourmaninthenorth

Good call. If I could get one for cheap money that would be very tempting. Full price it’s double the current LED3 headunit price….

BadlyWiredDog

They are good – I had a loan one for a bit, the mk1 version, the Mk2 is significantly brighter, particularly on the lower settings, I’m told. the downside, apart from the initial cost – Smudge can build a quasi-piggyback for less btw – are the relatively limted burn time on high compared to a Joystick, but it’s bright enough to run on a road bike as a stand-alone bar light, which I wouldn’t do with a Joystick for sustained use.

Joystick works well though, particularly if you’re mostly using it to fill in the gaps and perspective from a decent bar light and it’s a handy stand-by on the road.

ourmaninthenorth

Joystick works well though, particularly if you’re mostly using it to fill in the gaps and perspective from a decent bar light and it’s a handy stand-by on the road.

Sort of what I’m looking for, really, I guess.

Tho’ my Lumi is a spot beam, it throws plenty of light. I guess I was tempted by the possibility of huge light off the bars for £90, whereas actually a head-light might be the better bet.

daznal
    Free Member

Bought 2 900 lumin bike torches mounts batteries and charger for about £40 from the deal extreem website,the torches are superb quality aluminium o ringed and multi function(2different flash modes and 3 different power modes)all the lads use them and they are as good as any torch ive seen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lights (I know) – second Lumi or a Joystick?’ is closed to new replies.