Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What Lights for Dark Lanes Commute / winter night road rides??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Determined to keep riding as much as possible this winter.
    10 mile commute, 1000ft of climbing and a few fastish descents (35mph).
    Already have an SSX2 with a 4×18650 waterproof battery box and several rear lights.
    Is adding a helmet light overkill??
    Backup light such as a zoomable cree torch??

What are people using?? Any thoughts?

thomthumb
    Free Member

b&M iq cyo. it’s shaped like a car headlight – not loads of power but all in the right place. so much better than anything else i have used.

Can add to it with a bar light if needed – and switch on and off like a main beam.

scaredypants

I’ve just bought a philips smartride (80) after people on here rated it. Again, it’s properly lensed with quite a good cut-off (though a tiny bit of bleed)

Not used it yet so can’t rate it for you but pretty bright and seems like it’ll be good

STATO
    Free Member

Went out in the rain/fog one night earlier this week and was amazed at how good the new CYO premium is, i fitted it early in the year so it was the first chance to actually see it in proper dark and nasty weather.

The light spread was perfect, all on the road, good spread into the verge so you still have light when you lean the bike into a corner, plus some near-field spill so you can see potholes right upto your wheel (older version had a unlit gap at this point).

Its the ‘Lumotec IQ Premium Cyo Senso Plus, 80 lux’ version.

On the route there were a good few unlit sections with hills and also some sections in town. On the hills drivers coming the other way always dipped their lights, often before they came over the brow, so the had actually seen the spill of my light (like you would another car coming over a hill towards you) and reacted before they saw I was a bike! I was amazed, it happened quite a few times too. In town i was totally visible, you could see drivers clocking you, i think some thought i was a motorbike as they left quite a few big gaps when both approaching parked cars from opposite directions. Rear light (Toplight Line Plus) did sterling work as always.

I have Exposure Maxx D and Diablo for offroad and have to say, the old CYO was already better than the MaxxD on Low/Medium but the New CYO is better than the MaxxD on High for the amount of light you get on the road, and not in the bushes or sky (and you shouldnt be running stupid bright offroad lights like this on road at anything other than low anyway)

simondbarnes

I’m using an Exposure Revo and Redeye combo powered by an SP PV8 dyno hub. Been very impressed with the setup so far.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.. Not sure i have the budget for Dynamo lights this year.. The philips light looks OK though..

STATO
    Free Member

I have a Revo too now for my offroad commuter, not as good as the CYO Premium on-road IMO, great off-road tho.

Good review of the CYO here and expalins how you can use battery power if you dont have a dynamo!

Dymano stuff is getting cheaper, i paid £70+ for the light and £90 for the hub a few years ago, you can get both for £50 each now (german websites). You need a rim and spokes but you can sell your existing wheel to offset that part.

simondbarnes

I went for the Revo as I really can’t stand the cutoff beam pattern on the German lights.

pcb
    Free Member

I’ve got a magicshine clone on my winter bike. Running it on the low setting Is more than enough light for lanes and the battery will last for ages

billytinkle
    Free Member

Helmet mounted exposure diablo and moon shield here for the last couple of years, been very happy with the setup on a very similar commute to the OP.

kcr
    Free Member

Sounds like you are equipped OK. I would just stick another back up light on your bars to get you home in case the main one fails or runs out. I just run an old Cateye with AAs as backup

TiRed

Budget? For £75, a Mark 2 Cateye Strada will be fine. From the Exposure Factory Outlet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What Lights for Dark Lanes Commute / winter night road rides??’ is closed to new replies.