Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lights equivalent to Exposure?
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Love my ancient race maxx but the battery isn’t holding much charge anymore (single days commute) and I’m planning to get a replacement for next winter as funds as ever are limited.

I see the new one is nearly twice as powerful and only 80% the price I paid back in the day, but are they still the only cable free system out there?

Any suggestions?

nutsnvolks
    Free Member
    mtbmatt
    Free Member

I think Exposure still make the only powerful enclosed light.
    There are lesser lights, such as Lezyne. They are not as powerful though.

Northwind

At the risk of causing controversy- Exposure make very expensive torches. The main performance differences are the clamp, and the fact that you can’t change the batteries. So it’s not even a cheap vs expensive thing, in some important ways my £15 torch is better than a Joystick and since it fits in a Joystick mount, the only disadvantage is it’s a little bigger and a little heavier.

Aidy
    Free Member

Well, yes, and then again no.

I think I went through nearly all the cheap options (and a few less cheap) before trying an Exposure light (and even after, I like torches). I’m still sold on Exposures.

The main reasons (for me):

* They just work. No faffing, no overheating, no dodgy connections. Most reliable lights I’ve ever used. Every light previously I’ve killed, I’ve an exposure light that’s still ticking along nicely which is 5 years old.

* Well thought out runtimes. 3/10/24 hour modes just make sense.

* Battery gauge. I like knowing when I’m low on power.

I don’t disagree that they are just expensive torches, but at least some of the premium is justified. I think they are a bit overpriced, but I’ve still not found anything that’s I’m prepared to switch to.

trout
    Free Member

you could have a look at http://www.luminouslights.co.uk. he does a batteries inside light that isvery powerfull

daveagiles
    Free Member

You could see if they will service your unit and put a new battery in. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too expensive.

I have the new Toro, wonderful light, bright enough for everything I do and the burn time indicator and light modes are great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

best thing about exposure …..

you have an issue at an event they are supporting and your maxx d decides to throw a wobbler. They offer you another to finish the event and are keen to look at your light for you.

water in the charging port was my issue – i stick a bit of duct tape over it now – im too tight to buy the official cover that the new ones come with 😀

Northwind

Aidy – Member

* They just work. No faffing, no overheating, no dodgy connections. Most reliable lights I’ve ever used. Every light previously I’ve killed, I’ve an exposure light that’s still ticking along nicely which is 5 years old.

* Well thought out runtimes. 3/10/24 hour modes just make sense.

Like my torches then! Except for the runtime anyway, because of the easily changed battery advantage. FWIW if you buy one today it’s unlikely to be ticking along nicely in 5 years, the li-po battery will likely give you trouble before then and replacement isn’t straightforward.

It sounds a wee bit trollish I suppose but I honestly wouldn’t swap my cheap torches for a Joystick. Well, I would, then I’d sell it and buy another cheap torch.

Saccades
    Free Member

you could have a look at http://www.luminouslights.co.uk. he does a batteries inside light that is very powerfull

That S1 is quite stunning but the replacement S2 is unavailable at the moment – a massive step up over my ancient thing though and certainly something to watch out for once it is available (and the price known),

Didn’t know Exposure would/could replace the battery, worth a call so and whilst I know you can get cheaper, more powerful lights I love the cablefree design and mounting options – I can swop the same light over from mtb to commuter/pub bike and stick it in my pocket whilst having a pint and has been totally hasslefree…

I do have a cheaper CREE torch thing I’ve used a coupla times but it always gives me the feeling of not really quite good enough in every catagory(except cost), it’s there as an unused backup.

and like the Bonty 24/12 which exposure sponsor, so I’m not adverse to supporting them in return.

Aidy
    Free Member

Like my torches then! Except for the runtime anyway, because of the easily changed battery advantage. FWIW if you buy one today it’s unlikely to be ticking along nicely in 5 years, the li-po battery will likely give you trouble before then and replacement isn’t straightforward.

Maybe I’ve just had bad luck with other torches. I normally find they suffer after being run continuously for beyond about 3-4 hours.

I’m not sure I agree about batteries. Look after them and they seem to cope okay. Have a Enduro and a Joystick that are both about that age, still original batteries, still pretty much full runtimes.

wwaswas

Smudge will replace the battery in your existing light if that’s all that worries you about it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lights equivalent to Exposure?’ is closed to new replies.