Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lights – doubting my decision now.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Currently sharing an old joystick with the wife (fnarr), which at 240 lumens minus whatever my lack of battery care has caused, is quite low.

I’ve just bought her this 1000 lumen Mapdec as part of her Christmas present, which appears to be an mtbbatteries V2 but £48 not £90.

Just questioning whether I should have gone for something better/different?

It’ll be used on solo and group rides, mostly in the woods 😯

Thoughts?

nickjb
    Free Member

If you ride together its good to have similar lights. If you get something too bright then riding with your joystick will mostly involve riding in shadows. That said if your group buddies all have X2s then it may be a bit shodowy. I’ve got a similar LED albeit in a cheaper chinese housing and the light is great. Plenty for night riding. Its not as bright as the Solarstorm X2 or similar but is still very nice.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not too narrow a beam then?

Yak

I’ve got the mtb batteries version. It’s pretty good for the money and well made. I run it on the bar with a joystick-a-like on my head.
    The beam is narrow-ish, but the secondary halo is wide and bright enough to fill in, especially in combination with a head light too.

But if you’ve got the joystick only and you ride together, then you’ll be outgunned.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Circumstances mean it’s one or the other of us at the moment, with some other folk. Might send the Joystick to smudge for a new battery.

nickjb
    Free Member

As yak says the halo gives a good spread. Just the halo is more light than I used to ride with only a couple off years ago. The spot gets thrown nicely into the distance.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps I should test it myself before she receives it 🙂

boxelder

They’re good lights from mapdec – Paul rides loads and orders what works.
    They’re Thumb2 is a great compact light for a helmet

thegreatape
    Free Member

He was good to deal with. I’ll hang on to it, it seems a well made bit of kit. It’s going to be a significant improvement over the Joystick. Wondering if I should get her the Thumb as well so she can have this on the bars and that on her helmet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lights – doubting my decision now.’ is closed to new replies.