Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lights advice… sorry!
  • ScotlandTheScared

So – I need new lights. I want around 6 hours run time at approximately 1000 lumens. I am looking at either the luminous 401 pro or the troute liberator III. I know the troutie gets a lot of love on here, but it only goes for abour 5 hours on normal mode with the large battery. The luminous might have a better balance of power vs. run time for me (plus I like the idea of getting the separate remote switch).

So, what are people experiences? Or should I look at something else (like the 1000 lumen light from smudge with an extra battery which I think could be a much cheaper alternative)…

Cheers,
    STS.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Try Trouties 900/1800 lumen ones. I don’t know the proper name for them. When we went camping we used the low setting to light the camp site by pointing it at the tree canapy and being lit by the reflection. It is plenty bright enough. I don’t know the burn time but when I woke up in the morning I realised we had left it on overnight and it was still lit up.

singletracksurfer

I’d get a 2nd battery personally. Contact Smudge – he’s got a website and everything now and will give you best advice.

singletracksurfer

I’d get a 2nd battery personally. Contact Smudge – he’s got a website and everything now and will give you best advice.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Lights thread in May? Get real…..

maxray
    Free Member

I’d give Light and Motion a miss… rubbish customer service.. been waiting for a reply for over a month and both themselves and Madison have just started ignoring me! (A)

Needless to say I purchased a different brand of lights and am happy.

nickjb
    Free Member

Lights thread in May? Get real…..

We did a night ride a couple of weeks ago, its still fun even if you have to stay up late 🙂

£20 torch from DX and a couple of spare batteries for £5 for me.

z1ppy

Wallace… you gotta get ahead of the rush #1 + #2

Though I was only noting to a m8 Wed @ 9pm-ish, that we still had light and another month till the solstice

lightman
    Free Member

Why do you think you need around 1000 lumen’s??

If the beam angles are correct, then 500-600 would be more than enough.
    Remember, its not always the more the better.

I have (sell) a couple of wee adjustable beam (zoom) lights that are around 150 lumen’s each, and because you can get the beam angle spot on, one on the bar and one on the helmet would be enough for most riding.
    Its all about mine is bigger than yours in anything over 700 lumen’s in my opinion!

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with having silly bright lights, but if you’re looking for longer runtimes, then you could easily get by on less output.

ScotlandTheScared

Thanks all,
    I had already been in touch with smudge about extra batteries for his decent light.

Lightman – I have been night riding for many many years – I kind of know what I need in terms of less vs. more. I want more power than I have now because when I am tired and still going fast on technical stuff then that bit extra power helps (so long as things are not burnt out). I find that with my lumi HID I am finding it difficult to see and thus compute a route fast enough when I am tired (part of old age I guess!). Not too bothered about much above 1000 or so, more interested in run time. Need the run time for winter rides, but need a new light for Mayhem – hence purchase now…

Still want to know users experiences of Luminous’ lights (particularly the 401) vs. Troutie, although going by previous ‘most powerful’ thread I guess not much difference.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Light up here till about 10pm ish now…. 2*700 is fine for a dark rainstorn in December…. Magicshine all the way, anything else is just for show.

ScotlandTheScared

Wallace – I think this is where my head is going too. But I like cool, expensive, fancy things like the trout and luminous (though my wife doesnt like this).

z1ppy

ScotlandTheScared – Member
    Thanks all,
    I had already been in touch with smudge about extra batteries for his decent light.

I know & I think he should charge you more for the battery, so I can have the light head cheaper! 😉

wallace1492
    Free Member

I got a Magicshine year and a half ago, got another in October. Both still perfect, last well over 3 hours each. Total cost about £100, used twice a week for most of the winter. Use 1 light when its not too bad and 2 when you need bar and helmet and full glare. Might buy another in September for spare…..

Cannot fault them at all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lights advice… sorry!’ is closed to new replies.