Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lightish cheapish trail wheel set?
  • FOG

Just stripped my xt hubs to find them past their sell by date, after 7 years of hard work I can’t complain. Unfortunately I find myself a bit skint as I have committed to a week’s road trip in Scotland, mainly trails, torridon, Cairngorms etc.
    So I am after a cheapish wheel set for the trip which will survive banging about in Scotland. Having said that I am fairly tentative and don’t break stuff too often so not looking for big heavy wheels if this can be avoided

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Had a set of stans flows on superstar switch evo hubs fo a year, they’ve survived everything I’ve thrown at them, but the bearings are a bit cheap and need chaging after a few months. £200 deliverd i see to remember.

Also had a set of superstar am-490’s on superstars, and they’ve been good too. £150ish i think.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Shimano MT65 from Merlin – 150 quid. Proper UST rims too!

linky

Kryton57

I have a set of Alexrims XC500d’s, with 180/160 rotors and 2 tyres included rolling on Shimano 495 hubs.

Not the best and some slight play in the rear hub, but quite light (1600g) and have survived 2 years of trail riding on a hardtail and yours boxed and delivered for £62.50.

FOG

Thanks Kryton but I am after something new which I can hopefully fit and forget for awhile at least

chakaping
    Free Member

From the Shimano wheel blurb…

The Hub uses angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls

You don’t get that kind of treatment from Superstar, I bet.

thepurist

If the rims are OK (and you’re a fettler) you could just get some new XT hubs and swap them over.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lightish cheapish trail wheel set?’ is closed to new replies.