Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • lighting question
  • trailmonkey

light and motion logic halogen bulbs are expensive and only last for about 7 or 8 hours. they are 7.2V, 13W. i don’t understand electrics at all but have seen generic bulbs on ebay for much less cost. difference is that i can’t see any with the exact same V or W rating. will i be able to use bulbs with a higher or lower V or W rating or will i die ?

CraigW
    Free Member

The bulbs need to be the correct voltage.
    You could use a higher power bulb (more watts). They will be brighter, but shorter battery life. Plus they will get hotter, which may be an issue depending on the lamp unit.
    Or you could use a lower power – less bright, but longer battery life.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What size lamps are they ie mr 16 or whatever – should be marked on them.

usually only 6 or 12 volt nominal – overvolting a 6 volt to 7.2 will shorten its life but give brighter light. Its probably a 10 W 6V overvolted to 7.2 at a guess.

Even so it should last longer than 7 or 8 hours – try asking th emanufacturer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I’d be askign why you only get 7-8 hours out of them – sounds like there’s a short or soemthing in the lamp.

Del

what TJ said. match the power rating, and get 6V.
    try not to cover them in monkey spaff when you fit them…

trailmonkey

unavoidable del.

thanks all.

BigJohn

If they’re only lasting a short time it sounds like your power source is giving out more volts than the bulbs can stand. 7.2 volts is what “overdriven” 6v bulbs will take without too much fuss.

trailmonkey

thanks, i don’t think that i’m alone in this. i’ve heard other owners complain that they have limited life from their logic bulbs.

want to persevere with them though as i like the yellowy light.

Burchy1
    Free Member

want to persevere with them though as i like the yellowy light.

Easy, Bastid light and some of these 😉
    Headlight covers FTW…

trailmonkey

thanks for the info on this guys.

managed to source some generic 6v 10w bulbs for £1.48 a piece, the l&m bulbs are 10 times the price 8)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Where from, perchance? I have an old logic that just needs a bulb to be useful again.

trailmonkey
    anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Those are WAY bigger than the original bulbs though arn’t they? 30x9mm?

trailmonkey

4mm longer if measured from pin tip to end of lamp, same width. shouldn’t make much odds.

worth a punt at the price.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I stand corrected, I seem to recall them being smaller. Others have mentioned just trimming the pins a bit. I’ll have a punt too then.

trailmonkey

i’ve already ordered so happy to be the guinea pig. i’ll post on here to let you know the outcome if you want ?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

fabarooney 🙂

trailmonkey

*updatings*

lamps are fine but a few adjustments needed.

had to use a round file and take a little off the reflector in order to fit around the slightly wider bulb. needs a gnats taken off the pins to fit in. small beer considering the saving involved.

buy ’em.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘lighting question’ is closed to new replies.