• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • lighteweight full face options
  • MSP

My current full face is a TLD D3, and it is quite a heavy beast.

Previously I had a carbon spesh deviant which while being light and having good ventilation, never felt really secure. And having tried on the bell super with chinguard and the latest met parachute, they feel the same, I don’t think that bulking up standard cycling helmets (and retention systems) is the way to go for a full face.

Is anyone going at the “enduro” helmet from the other direction ie lightening up and adding ventilation to traditional full face helmets.

philstone

I’ve got a carbon 661 and a Met Parachute (new one) and the Parachute is amazing, I ended up using it pretty much exclusively in the Alps – can’t recommend it enough!

MSP

Anyone else?

Anyone tried the sweet protection fixer? on paper that seems a chunk lighter than the competition.

Northwind

That Parachute is seriously light! Hadn’t noticed that.

Urge Down-o-matic isn’t so light but it’s a traditional, full-on dh helmet that just happens to be well vented and lighter than many. (mine is just over 900g- less than claimed but I threw away the stupid round rubber thing in the visor as it adds nothing but logos and weight) But the venting, though good, won’t be a patch on the parachute- I still consider it downhill only.

The Fixer didn’t fit me but it seems good. I have their Bushwhacker XC hat and what I really like is the compactness, it just seems like a really good idea- reduces weight and all that but also reduces some impacts and rotational forces. Though the fit is a bit weird on that too.

Totally agree on weight being a detriment in crashes btw, we don’t talk about it much in pushbikes but it’s well remarked on in motorbikes- significantly increases forces on the spine but also increases dwell time of peak force on the brain, which is believed to make a big difference to damage caused by high loads.

timidwheeler

I’ve just weighed my Kali Avatar and it’s 857g with go pro mount. Mine is the standard one but if you can find one of the carbon ones it’s like wearing a helium balloon.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Bell 2r with Mips gets used everywhere. Light, airy, can still hear things.

With or without chinnguard. Tool free removal or refit in 30 seconds or less.

andyb39
    Free Member

What about the new IXS helmet? Haven’t seen one in the flesh but on paper they look like they fit the bill nicely.

MSP

The xult? is listed at 1100g. but does look to have quite a bit of venting compared to most full face helmets.

Bell 2r

Parachute

I am really not looking for that style of helmet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘lighteweight full face options’ is closed to new replies.