• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lightest 26 inch inner tube?
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

As per the title, what’s the score please? Any advice? Other that going tubeless… 😉

Thanks,

Rob

njee20
    Free Member

Eclipse are the lightest, but lots of money. Tubeless is a far better solution, as you already knew…

schmiken

Foss I think. Or Eclipse. You’re better off tubeless than tubed though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

fannyed about for light tubes for about oh – 2 rides ….

puncture central

tubeless …. nae bether ! – one of my bikes went back to tubes for a bit – but forgot how crap they were and bodged a tubeless set up into it 😀

jonb
    Free Member

try weight weenies for lists and actual weights.

I looked at them for racing but the chances of punctures increases and my races are long so I stuck with standard. One of these days I’ll go tubeless but I change tyres for races compared to normal riding so it would be a faff.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

650c continental supersonic road tube, if you can still get them.
    Totally pointless obviously.

Tubeless or if you insist on tubes, then latex tubes are best.

njee20
    Free Member

One of these days I’ll go tubeless but I change tyres for races compared to normal riding so it would be a faff.

So do I, as does Matt I suspect. It’s not a faff, you just need to choose your tyres a little more carefully. I have about 8 sets that I know will inflate with no issues with a track pump on 2 different sets of wheels.

I’d not go back in a hurry!

trail_rat
    Free Member

tire changer here too … just need to know your tires …. if mine dont work tubeless – they become training tires.

have wets , drys and intermediates that i know will work tubeless …. none of them specific tubeless tires other than the drys (spesh fast track 2bliss)

DanW
    Free Member

I have been using Conti Supersonics in rocky South Wales for the past 6 months and love them. 191g for a pair. I like to change tyres regularly so have always been put off tubeless (although did try it briefly). Haven’t punctured to date and hope it continues!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Maxxis fly weights about 100gram each just had first flat in over a year, seen plenty of mates with tubeless burp off rim or get thorn puncture that didn’t seal just sprayed latex everywhere. And reluctantly forced to use the old tech they so hated to get them home.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies & was about to consider tubeless until Danw & Munqe pitched in their worth… hmm, will have a think.

pinches
    Free Member

i’m using the schwalbe xxxlight tubes. i’ve not had a punture on a trail but have had on the street from a piece of glass, which would have got your either way.

they weigh about 95g

schmiken

There’s a good reason most pros now run tubeless – it’s lighter, faster and comfier! Just get good tyres – Maxxis, Schalbe, Spesh 2bliss etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye but what pressures do you run dan w munqechick.

tubeless burps – not had that on stans rims but on stupid conversion kits that dont let the tire seat propper ive had no end of hassle …..

tubeless converted my rocket rons which were unusable off road imho with tubes into excellent tires (thanks to njee for suggesting i try them again tubeless!)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just gone tubeless on my stans rims, using the yellow tape etc. NN & RRalph went up first time with my track pump and stayed up 🙂

Will be doing the HT next weeked with rim strips as they’re on WTB laserdisc XC rims, but this time with RRons fore & aft.

njee20
    Free Member

Glad you like them TR, I still rate them, hardly used my Ralphs since I discovered Rons!

I’ve never burped a tyre on a proper Stan’s rim either, never run more than 30psi, often significantly less, can’t see I’d be getting away with that with <100g tubes!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for tubeless.

A litre of sealent is ~£20 and will do 16 UST or 20 ghetto/pikey/pirate tubeless tyres, plenty of oppertunity to swap arround tyres.

Not managed to burp a tyre yet on my ghetto setup, although I managed to put a pretty big tear in my rear tyre decending Skidaw on saturday which meant fitting a tube. Which then promptly pinch flatted 30 seconds later, so badly the tube was scrap!

robsoctane
    Free Member

think I’ll try Conti’ Supesonics then… cheers Dan.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit] that should be 16 UST or 10 ghetto setups.

njee20
    Free Member

So you’ve ignored what the majority said, and gone with the option recommended by one person – sounds like your mind was already made up 🙂

robsoctane
    Free Member

Njee: check my post up top – I clearly states ‘other than going tubeless’.

Thanks for the info on it though… 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Anyone using sub 100g tubes and not puncturing is either not riding fast enough downhill or in a very smooth area and no thorns.

Bez

I’ve been using Conti Supersonics for yonks. For me they’re as reliable as any standard inner tube – IME (YMMV) tubes don’t appear to affect puncture rates (either snakebite or thorn), but tyres do.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lightest 26 inch inner tube?’ is closed to new replies.