Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Light – Lumenator 17?
  • dynebaruk
    Free Member

Any opinions on this?

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumenator-17/

Anything else to consider in the same price bracket? Not interested in those dodgy Chinese ones off eBay…

Thanks!

inverjoe
    Free Member

Very well made. Bought mine about 4 years ago and still the only light i use. Battery lasts for ages.

scotroutes

I have the previous Lumenator and can’t fault it. It’s the one I always recommend to those that ask.

StirlingCrispin

I bought a Lumenator 17 a few months back.

Excellent light – a definite step up on the previous Lumenator, which was faultless for four years. Excellent service from Smudge if you need it too.

senorj

I have the older one & a lumen800 for my helmet.4 year old still going strong.
    Very good value for money.

lardman
    Free Member

MTB batteries lights are all very good. Ive got 4 of them, including the Lumenator and the batteries keep going for years.
    Not sure why anyone would spend more TBH.

The only one issue i had was fixed for free, and turned around in 2 days. Great service.

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got the previous head unit running with the new 17 battery as a helmet light. Really bright, proper battery and very quick and friendly service. Recommended.

I’ve tried a number of cheaper lights and batteries from supposedly decent suppliers. You might get lucky but IME they’re a false economy as the batteries don’t last and head unit build quality isn’t as good.

motozulu
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got the Torchy boy set – one for lid, one for bars. Great lights. Think it cost me 110 quid for the both and got a very natty mount for bars and a quality rear light and mount for seat post (free). No difference in quality or customer services so I’d just go for whoever is cheaper.

motozulu
    Free Member

This one for bars…
    Torchy 7

and this one for bonce…

Torchy 3

dynebaruk
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll invest in the lumenator 17!

chakaping
    Free Member

a definite step up on the previous Lumenator,

In what way?

dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve dabbled with Chinese lights the last year but I’ve decided that I’m done with them. I had a set of Aye Ups for about 8 years and they were rock solid but lack the power of modern lights. I’m looking for a light for both the bars and helmet. I don’t want to spend a fortune so considering the lumenator 17, Ituo XP2 and Ituo XP3. Anybody tried the Ituo’s ? How do they compare to the Lumenator ? Is a Lumenator on the bars and the helmet a good combination ?

cp

I’ve just recently set myself up with USB charging self contained units and I’m loving it – getting rid of external battery packs and cables is nicely liberating 🙂

I got one of these for the bars, £40:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/Rechargeable-Evolva-Future-Technology-Headlight/B01LWSQKBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485340857&sr=8-1&keywords=1800+lumen+bike+light

The light unit is excellent – the mounting bracket is a bit meh, but… add a Hope universal mount to replace the rubber band clamp (you’ll keep the upper half of the included mounting bracket) and add an o-ring or thin piece of rubber between the light unit and this intermediate bit of mount to prevent it vibrating free (it provides some decent pre-load on the coarse camera tripod mount thread) and you have an excellent bar mount light.

Then, stick one of these on your lid:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Fluxient-U2-Mini-1100-Lumen-rated-Cree-XM-L-U2-led-3400mAh-battery-/291996087397?hash=item43fc52b465

Or this with two batteries:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Fluxient-U2-Mini-1100-Lumen-rated-Cree-XM-L-U2-led-2-x-3400mAh-battery-/302192028035?hash=item465c0c6983

They make a great combination for about 100 quid all in including the Hope mount.

I’ll get a proper review up soon…

benp1

Define chinese lights?

Lumenator and ituo lights fall into the ‘chinese lights’ category, just better customer service/build quality

dougieb
    Free Member

Ok, so i have a Nitefighter BT40s that I’m not too impressed with. Could be the battery or could be the unit but it drains the battery pretty quickly and you end up stepping down to the lowest setting for much of the ride. The exact same battery works fine with my yinding. I’m actually fairly happy with the yinding and may decide to keep it.

Yeah, realise that the luminator and Ituo are still Chinese but just better quality – which is what I’m really looking for. My experience of the cheap Chinese lights is that once a light model becomes that years must have light, the quality and consistency of components changes as the manufactures try to meet demand – it’s really a lottery as to whether you get a good copy or not. I have one good and one rubbish Yinding.

@cp that self contained unit looks quite good.

cp

There was a thread on here a while ago which contained some discussion on it – I’ll see if I can find it. It’s also marketed as a Nitenumen X8.

EDIT:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-cheapest-mtb-light-worth-having-with-integrated-battery/page/3

dougieb
    Free Member

What’s the brightness like on the Evolva ? I can’t imagine that it’s 1800 lumens given Led’s and 2 cells. Will it run continuously in the highest mode or like most lights will it step down once it gets hot ? I’m tempted – perhaps with a Lumenator 17 on the lid

Kamakazie

Very happy with my Ituo.
    Bought an XP2 and was impressed enough with the unit to get an XP20 for my bars.

Combo makes for a good setup and more than enough power to feel comfortable racing a night Enduro at a venue I’ve never ridden at.

Can’t compare to the Lumenator though I’m afraid.

benp1

@dougieb – strange that. I have a couple of Exposure headlights (Diablo and Joystick) but run other bar lights. My MTB light is a Nitefighter BT40s. I’ve been pleased with it, very floody and personally I found run times to last for ages. I generally run it in low though, if it’s slightly techy I might move up to medium. Almost never put it on high or turbo, nothing techy round here and I’m not moving that fast. What modes are you using it on?

I only bought the head unit though, I already had a good battery pack from a previous light

ton

bought a lumenator in autumn. perfect light. long battery life, long burn time.

funkrodent

Had a Lumenator for a few years now. Great light, long penetrating beam, but with decent flood as well. Three settings + strobe (if you fancy a party on your night-ride). Battery lasts for ages. Build quality is superb, been out in numerous downpours and never had even a hint of an issue with water ingress, and when you leave it to charge overnight you can be confident that it isn’t going to burn the place down.. 😐

Can’t recommend it highly enough

rOcKeTdOg

cracking little light and MTbatteries are a really cool company, ride bikes and actually care about the product rather than profit which means you actually get a reliable charger and it lasts for more than 5 minutes. you also get the back up of the guys actually being on the end of the phone and in the UK

teethgrinder

I have an Evolva. Awesome. No idea on true output, but for a self-contained unit with only two 18650 cells, it lasts an age on full power and is plenty bright. Enough to easily get a 2.5h ride in Chopwell or Hamsterley without the power LED dropping down to red.

That’s compared to a SS X2 (ish?), another Chinese thing and an Aldi 4 LED unit.

I use it on top of my Super 2r after getting a tripod thread to go-pro mount. I’ll be getting another for the bars so I can retire the other lights.

Only thing that isn’t so good with the Evolva is that the thread hole for the mount is behind the centre of gravity, which would be a pain for bar use with the supplied rubber mount.

dougieb
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Currently thinking of Evolva on the bars and lumenator on helmet. Was initially considering two XP3’s but that’s around £300. The Evolva & Lumenator with the hope mount is almost half that price

dougieb
    Free Member

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Light – Lumenator 17?’ is closed to new replies.