Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Light damage to my car. Self repare
  • engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Ok, well not my car, but my girlfriends car. Not to fussed about how it looks after providing it’s not terrible I.e. Not a patch of pink paint.

Basically the plan was to find some wet and dry, take it back to the metal and prime it, then spray it white. But I’m kinda thinking it’s just not that easy? What should I do?

https://flic.kr/p/uN8WHM There is a link to the picture of the damage but I can’t get the bb code on the Flickr app.

johndoh
    Free Member

Looks like it has been damage-repaired already and I bet there is a load of filler in there – the minute you start taking it back I think you will find more trouble to deal with.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d look for a new bonnet down at the scrappy as that’s creased from running into something. Renault 19? What country are you in?

on the plus side I don’t think you will make it much worse. If a replacement is not an option I’d power sand it back with a random orbit sander, use some filler to smooth it out a bit and then spray and try and feather it in. It won’t look pretty but should look better. You will want to polish the whole bonnet to help it blend in and then it will stand out against the rest of the car!

matttromans
    Free Member

Locating a secondhand replacement bonnet already in white might be the most time/cost effective way of repairing that

doh – beaten to it!

Northwind

What’s the goal? Getting it back to original shape will be hard, I could do it but I could not be arsed if it were mine, too much work. Just getting rid of the rust but leaving it creased and pitted will be pretty easy. Everything else will be somewhere inbetween but there’s no point in doing a 4/5ths job I reckon, you either bring it up to the condition of the car, or you bodge it to some extent.

Don’t know how common the car and colour are, I wanted to replace the bumper on mine but used ones in better condition are impossible to find.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I’m in Porto in Portugal. And I’ve not really got round to learning the language yet.

Not to fussed about the looks just the rust that’s worrying me. I’ll see if I can source a bonnet but I doubt it. So I guess next best option is to bodge a repare on the rust??

And yes it’s a Renault 19.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you aren’t fussed about the lokos why not just leave it as it is? It ain’t that bad.

downhilldave

The bubbling is rot from condensation/ water ingress where the inner and outer skin is joined. The crack shows how weak it is. You can’t get rid of the rust easily and any repair will bubble again. Would leave it alone or as advised get a secondhand bonnet.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Ok finally got to the car, only had a picture my gf sent me so I’ve taken a better closer up.

Basically I just want to get rid of the rust. What’s the best way about it

Rust

trail_rat
    Free Member

Best way about it is still to find nother bonnet.

Anything you do to tht is temporary.

Whats the internal frame structure looking like ?

globalti
    Free Member

Fergeddit! That rust is deep and you’ll uncover more as you rub it down. Go and hunt around the outskirts of any decent-sized town and you’ll find a yard full of second-hand bits.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

It’s only got to be temporary. Probably another year max. Then this car is scrap. I’d buy her another but she won’t let me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Another year.

Spray ovr the rust with some white paint, fit a bonnet bra , vinyl wrap over the bonnet ?

I doubt it will get much worse in a year….

Because i suspect if you start rubbing that you wont hve much left for the front of a bonnet….

zippykona

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

deffo new bonnet, as the car is white any colour will do! Black for the Rally look! prob only 4 bolts and the squirtybobtubes and it’ll be reet!

Sundayjumper

Price of a spare bonnet as a % of the car’s value ? When it’s going to be scrapped soon anyway ? I’m not sure it’s even worth your time looking for a bonnet let alone the money to buy it !

If you just fancy the experience of sanding & painting, knowing that you can’t really make it any worse then go for it. Doing paintwork well is surprisingly hard.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Funny, I’m in Portugal just now (on hols) and was surprised to see a white Renault 19 on the road the other day, in Albufeira. Wife and I both commented on it straight away.

Portugal seems to be a trove of older cars.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Light damage to my car. Self repare’ is closed to new replies.