Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • light-bicycle rims
  • neil853
    Free Member

I’m hovering over the buy button on some 29er rims. Cant decide between the 30mm clinchers which area light set rims, similar in size to flows and 150g lighter per rim, but i cant get the new 35mm one out of my head. A mate has just got them and they look awesome. These will be going on my Titus Fireline so I’m thinking perhaps the lighter hooked 30mm rim rather than the wider heavier 35mm hookless.

anyone got any experiences of any of these, also of import duty etc? What were the costs when you got them? Did you buy off the site or off the ebay site?

Neil

kinger

Interested in this too as tempted by the 27.5 rims – folks on here seem pretty happy with theirs on threads I have seen but keen to hear any updates…

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got the narrower 29er hookless ones and very impressed. I’d have thought the 35s would be excessive on a Fireline?

downhilldave

Slight hijack, anyone bought complete wheels from Light Bicycle? How’s the build/ durability? Thinking of a set on Pro 2 hubs for my Spicy.

Northwind

Got a set of the 33mm enduro rims on the way, my existing one- the old process rim- has been absolutely fine, takes tubeless well, seems well made etc so very happy to buy again.

Price depends a lot on whether you end up paying tax/duty, and how much- I got charged on my last one but weirdly a random number halfway between the actual value and the rear one.

neil853
    Free Member

Well, I’ve gone for the wide versions, with the theory that I’ll be able to run thinner/lighter tyres. We’ll see, cant lie, excited to see and feel the build

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have a set of 650b 35mm Hookless on order,have built a few sets up for customers over the last few months,all have been amazing

Daffy

Where are you fellas buying these from?

RobHilton
    Free Member
    davosaurusrex

Ordered a pair of the 35mm 29ers in matte 3k last night. Will be building them up with Hope Pro 2s, 40T rear of course, brass nipples. What spokes are everyone using? Thinking of DT Supercomps, hoping to get in around 1850g, sound realistic?

bigjim

I’m just going with nice normal spokes for my 26″ build, I can get sapim race’s cheep.

njee20
    Free Member

I used Revolutions on mine, but it was a lightweight build.

Gee76
    Free Member

Revs here too. On DT 240 Hubs. Managed to get em in at 702g and 796g (ally nips, xd driver and 36pt ratchets).

Keep an eye on the ERD’s though. Mine measured up about 594-595 IIRC. Somehow got away with it on 292mm spokes which I’d pre-bought assuming a 589 ERD.

Tyres look mahoosive on em btw. Not necesarily that much wider (maybe an extra 1-2 mm tubeless) but the volume appears much improved. Trying a Spesh Groun Control 2.1 on the rear and still looks pretty cushy. (normally run 2.2-2.3 tyres)

First ride tonight will tell I guess!.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I got quoted 963 dollars for 35mm wide hookless 650b wheelset built on pro evo 2 hubs, which put me off. Can’t justify nearly 600 quid on wheels at the moment.

Didn’t realise there might be charges on top of that too? I’m in Sweden so i really hahve no idea what would happen with import costs. Anyone shed any light on UK import costs?

davosaurusrex

My LBS is doing the build on pro 2 evos, supercomps and brass nipples for £340, rims were £260 all in, anticipate import/handling fees to be about £40 so £640 all in. Defo not cheap but affordable compared to Enves, happier having the build done by my LBS too.

endurogangster
    Free Member

How are other finding the ERD measurements, the 26″ wide rims appear to be within 2mm of dt 5.1 rims which would mean I could do a straight rim swap from my ex1750 wheelset and keep the bladed spokes. Obviously this may be a problem if they are way off

c_klein87

i was charged 35quid by parcelforce for my LB tubular road wheels, can’t remember what they were declared for, but much less than i paid, i think they’re getting wise to more stuff coming through as previously not paid a thing on 3 frames, rims and forks

davosaurusrex

Believe they are often a few mm out. I’m taking the rims to the LBS and letting them measure up

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 29er 30mm width were shipped today. I’ll let you know is a week or so.

davosaurusrex

Did you go for the 30mm od or the 35mm hookless?

njee20
    Free Member

I didn’t actually measure ERDs, but ordered spokes based on supplied dimensions for hubs and rims, and all my spokes were too short, so either LB or American Classic measure things strangely…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 29er 30mm width were shipped today. I’ll let you know in a week or so.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Mine were shipped today. 35mm hookless 29er rims.
    According to light bike, the shipping paperwork says they’re samples with a value of $60.

frogstomp

Just built up a set of the slimmer (27mm) 29er hookless rims on Hope hubs, DT Comps and brass nipples which came to about 1650g (on my digital luggage scales).

You really notice the stiffness of the rim when you are de-tensioning the spokes!

kimbers

right just ordered some 650b 35mm rims

how long did they take to arrive?

anyone know spoke lengths with pro2 hubs?

cheers

njee20
    Free Member

You really notice the stiffness of the rim when you are de-tensioning the spokes!

I found that – leant on the rim expecting the usual pinging of spokes and what not, and there was nothing!

goodgrief
    Free Member

Got mine last week, 35mm hookless 650b.
    Took 5 weeks from ordering, ERD measured 554 (quoted 550) and I was charged £30 import VAT/handling on two rims.
    All in all I’m very happy with the rims. They are the same as the Rockguardz rim that is double the price but without the nasty gloss finish or graphics. Finish and quality is flawless!
    Weight is 385g.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Light Bicycle complete wheels?

I’m thinking of either swapping the Crest rims on my Hope Hoops for some of the LB carbon ones or going for the complete builds with Novatech hubs. I’ve got a set of Novatech hubs built up as CX wheels at the moment and they’ve been great so far, just as reliable as my Hopes.

I’m not sure if I’d be able to reuse the spokes off the Hopes so it might work out just as cheap to buy some complete wheels.

njee20
    Free Member

Very unlikely, most of the LB rims are a chunk deeper than a Crest. I’d sell them and start again. Novatec hubs are badged as loads of different things, Superstar amongst others I believe.

ollie51
    Free Member

Didn’t realise there might be charges on top of that too? I’m in Sweden so i really hahve no idea what would happen with import costs. Anyone shed any light on UK import costs?

If you get pulled up, they’ll be exactly the same as the UK ones. I think it’s 12% on bike parts from China and then you might get stung with VAT too and a carrier fee. Although most in the UK don’t get charged/or charged significantly less.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If you get pulled up, they’ll be exactly the same as the UK ones. I think it’s 12% on bike parts from China and then you might get stung with VAT too and a carrier fee. Although most in the UK don’t get charged/or charged significantly less.

Sounds risky. hmmm, what to do…..

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair of 29er hookless 35mm. I might need to find a wheelbuilder as my LBS could be offended. Any recommendations? I have some Syntace hubs.

Lucas
    Free Member

are people ordering these by directly contacting LB or through ebay? I noticed on ebay that it difficult to specify exactly what you want – such as UD finish,

How log do they typically take to arrive?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘light-bicycle rims’ is closed to new replies.