Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Light Bicycle / easy with a track pump?
  • downhilldave

Fancy some new carbon wheels that are “tubeless easy” with a track pump. Had Stans Crests and they were Very easy. Have some Sram Rail 50’s and they won’t go up without a compressor / not a technique thing as I found the Crests no problem. Have to resort to a tube inside to seat one side of the bead and a visit to the Lbs to use their compressor for the other side. Are the Light Bicycle Ok? Looking at the 30mm inside 650B version. Cheers guys and gals. Serial tyre swapper 😕

mashiehood
    Free Member

Did mine a few days ago, all depends in tyre. rocket Ron went up with minimal effort

downhilldave

Had lodsa different tyres on the Crest without a problem. Running a Magic Mary upfront and a Minion Dhf on the rear. Also have An Ikon and an Ardent. Lbs were suprised at how much effort it took seat on a “premium” wheel.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Yes, very easy. Topeak mountain morph too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

SRAM rail 50 are impossible to get up tubeless without a compresor

It’s really annoying and shite given they are a grands worth of wheel almost

Never had any issues really with other rims but the rail 50s are shocking even worn tyres won’t go up tubeless without a compressor

Let me know how you go on tubeless with the LB when you get em

kimbers

My lb 35mms were fine with a track pump once I lubed up the tyre bead

Getting schwable tyres on the rim was a right ballache tho !

frogstomp

I’ve found the hookless ones a bit tricky because you can’t seat the bead.. got it to go up eventually though.

sam_underhill

27.5 35mm hook less Lb. Easier than my crest rims with maxxis tyres.

njee20
    Free Member

I needed several turns of tape on my 27mm hookless 29ers to get Schwalbes to seal. Worse after refitting tyres too – tape getting pushed into the well. Ended up putting some of that draught excluder foam in the well, with a layer of tape on top. Flatter profile, easier inflation.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 35mm LB 29er hookless rims have been mostly fine. 2.4 Conti Trail Kings, 2.3 Maxxis Minion DHR2, WTB Vigilante’s and the current 2.4 Magic Mary all inflated ok with just a track pump. I use a Joe Blow Max. The only tyres I had an issue with were Hans Dampfs so I used a tube to seat them first and after that they went up fine with the track pump. The only other comment I have is that the Conti’s were super tight and an absolute bitch to fit.

Lucas
    Free Member

My 35mm LB 29er hookless rims have been fine with spesh tyres and a track pump (apart from a leak around the valve)

Northwind

My 26ers (33 or 35mm, can’t remember) are a bit harder than most- not as hard as my fulcrums, harder than my stans or mavics. I’ve got a compressor but I’ve done at least one tyre on each with a pump, just to make sure I could.

downhilldave

Cheers guys thanks for your help. Glad to see it’s not only me that has a problem with the Rail’s OW. Don’t know weather to sell the Rail’s or strip and use the hubs which I like. Have seen some DT 350’s straight pull for just over £150 plus postage,would like the 240’s but they are more than double for a circa 60 gram weight loss.

njee20
    Free Member

Check availability on straight pull spokes first – better than it was, but can be a PITA still.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I needed several turns of tape on my 27mm hookless 29ers to get Schwalbes to seal. Worse after refitting tyres too – tape getting pushed into the well. Ended up putting some of that draught excluder foam in the well, with a layer of tape on top. Flatter profile, easier inflation.

bizzare – my RR 2.1 went up with a track pump and single layer of tape!

downhilldave

Might have to give this a re think njee20, over £200 for the spokes 😯 Sapim Cx ray bladed.

mashiehood
    Free Member

try bike24 for spokes, my DT Revs for both wheels with nipples came in at £50

downhilldave

^^^^^^ thanks for that. Cheaper than my efforts

Northwind

I’d steer clear of straightpulls in general but, if there’s a CX-Ray there’s probably a Laser. The difference is that the Laser is round, the CX-Ray is literally a Laser that’s been squashed flat. Which also makes it a bit stronger, with the extra forging, but the Laser is still very good and a lot cheaper, and obviously the exact same weight

downhilldave

Was thinking bladed to try and eleminate spoke wind up, but will have a look at the Laser’s. My Lbs,who will build the wheels (has done a few sets of Lb rims) prefers J bend but when he gave my Rail’s a check over before a trip to Spain was quite impressed. In over twelve months the Rails’s have been superb apart from tyre seating. I know I could just buy a compressor but fancy trying to drop the weight a little. Still have to do the sums for that one though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle / easy with a track pump?’ is closed to new replies.