Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Light Bicycle disc road wheels
  • j40aja
    Free Member

Looking to get some bling wheels for my 2015 Giant Defy Advanced and really like the look and reviews of the LB wheels.
    Having a hard time deciding on the build though before pressing the buy button.
    Not sure between UD gloss or 3K gloss for the rims, anyone got decent pictures of the rims with both finishes? and not sure how many spokes and lacing pattern.
    I’m a bit under 85kgs in my birthday suit and will be using the bike as a good weather only bike, also pretty light on components.
    I take it the Novatec D711/712 disc hubs are pretty good, (can they take 11speed cassttes)
    Was going to go for the 24mm carbon clinchers but not sure if the 38mm will be better.

As you can see by the number of questions I’ve never had wheels built from scatch before (always bought ready made Hope Hoops) and it’s my 1st roadbike.

scaredypants

I bought some a couple of years ago with 711/722 hubs. They definitely take 11sp.

I wanted 38 or so rims (for strength as much as anything) but they only did 45 and over at the time so ended up with those (UD finish – my frame is black UD finish too).

Make sure they know they’re to be used with discs, so they don’t build with radial spoking – to be fair their builder seemed to know what they were on about, going by the email exchange I had.

Still true, despite the shit local roads.

Still not used them with discs (partly because they’re on a “good weather only” bike and rim brakes are fine in the dry, though rim wear is something I wonder about a bit)

paulevans
    Free Member

I’m on my second pair of LB wheels. First pair were disc specific rims with no braking surface, 50mm section on Novatec 711/712 hubs. I went for matt UD finish. Have to say the wheels were great – arrived very true and served me well up here in the Lakes. Only sold them because the 50mm rims were a little ‘lively’ when the wind got up.

Have since bought a set of 35mm deep ‘U’ shaped rims, again on Niva hubs. Rims are 25mm in width and seem to be very strong.

Very good service with good communication and delivery within 3-4 weeks.

cp

UD Finish looks far classier than a woven carbon imo

Gee76
    Free Member

Ooo I’m looking at those rims too. Will build myself tho. Probably onto Dt 240s centrelock hubs. Thinking 24/28 for a disc setup. Did you go for the beadless versions?

j40aja
    Free Member

It was the lively in the wind that made me think the 24mm rims would be better but have nothing to really basethat on coming from a mountain bike background.
    Does the UD finish still look like carbon fibre because in the pictures on LBs site could just be plastic which was making err towards the 3k? My frame and forks are red and white gloss carbon so thought the matt finish would look wrong.

Gee76
    Free Member

Never clocked the 24mm versions tho must say I’ve been taken in by the wider is better school, oh and the U profile too.

I’ve had few sets of ud mtb rims and they look great. Very matt grey but you can see the panels of ud carbon that make up the rims, plus a slight hollographic type glisten in the odd light.

scaredypants

mine (45s) are OK in the wind, though I’ve not often been out in really strong wind and I’m quite heavy (90ish kg)

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers Gee76, I guess the carbon effect will be more obvious with the gloss over the top.

I was considering some decals but looks like they are applied once the carbon is sanded but before the gloss finish is added at the end so no option to remove if I decide I want the stealth look so plain looks like the way forward.

Jason
    Free Member

I have used a set of LB disc rims for a couple of months, I have covered about 750 miles in that time, mainly on the road, but also off road. 45mm U rims, no brake track, UD Matt finish. 28H Novatech disc hubs. Solid rim bed. I went with brass nipples and bladed spokes, slightly annoying they don’t do black brass nipples!

I got LB to build them (mainly because I couldn’t face feeding the nipples around the rim) and the build quality seems very good, and they have stayed true so far. I have hit a few potholes while riding in the dark and I can’t find a mark on the rims. They do run tubeless, the solid rim bed makes this easy, however the tyre bead doesn’t lock in like I would expect a UST tyre/rim to. Saying that they do work fine tubeless, the only problem I have had is spitting a tyre.

Clean:

Dirty:

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers Jason very stealthy nice bike. Do you have any closeups of the rims to show the carbon finish?

I’m starting to think the 38mm rims might be better looking and stronger than the 24s. I’m not planning on chasing grams so a strongerish build might pay dividends in the long run.

Jason
    Free Member

Sorry I can’t find a close up photo of the road rims. But here is one of my LB mtb rims, again in matt UD. I would say the road rims have less visible weave.

j40aja
    Free Member

Thanks again. Still hard to tell the finish, must be the angles and lighting. I’ve got an FSA SLK carbon post on my commuter which is UD gloss so recon it’ll look similar to that.
    Some of the other finish options just look a bit too fake carbon effect.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I would put a picture up but seem to have forgotten how to post photo’s.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Remembered, pretty sure this is a Light bicycle rim, bought the wheels from here last year.

doodlebug
    Free Member

On my second wheelset from Light Bicycle and not one problem, 1st set was very light 38mm carbon clincher sections with Novetec 10 speed hubs and weight was 1275g, still going strong after 2 years.
    2nd set are again 38mm carbon clincher, this time with no braking surface and Novetec 11 speed Disc hub. Rims are a raw UD matt weave and weight is around 1450g

Customer service i have found to be excellent and they bang emails out every day if you wish 😀

Sorry, crap picture, but you get the idea

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Light Bicycle disc road wheels’ is closed to new replies.