Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Light bicycle carbon mtb wheels
  • jimmon2008
    Free Member

As title has anyone had experience of these and can give real feedback. Also are they as light and strong as stated?

Is there anything to be wary of if buying these and do you get hit with shipping costs etc

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Huge thread about them.

I like them. Some people break them. Yes you’ll pay shipping costs and you’ll pay VAT and duty.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Not had whole wheels from them but the rims have been faultless. 35mm 29ers with 20,000km on them so far

Shipping is in the quote and yes got to pay import duty too.

oliverracing

Good read here – to summarize, they’re good and light and probably the best for the price, although there are other chinese suppliers worth looking at

scaled
    Free Member

I cracked one first ride.

If you get a wheelset check the spoke tension

julians
    Free Member

Theyre not that strong, i cracked one in a few months of riding.

Superstar carbon am rims are much stronger IME

sq225917
    Free Member

Had my 27mm internal versions 2 years, went for the 50 gram heavier option. they’ve been rallied, raced, ramped, dropped, hopped and cased- still straight still undamaged.

I run my tyres low 30’s though which probably helps re rock strikes.

stewartc
    Free Member

Cracked 3 LB rims in a 6 month period, 650b AM rims, 90kg rider who likes to plough through rock gardens. Gone back to alloy.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Love mine. I went for the 30mm internal width and they are the toughest wheels I have ever had. They have been jumped, dropped sent down many rocky dh courses with as little as 9psi in the front at 15 in the rear and they have remained perfect. I’m sure I’ll break them one day but I would of gone through many aluminium replacements by now.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Similar story to andysredmini above (29er 35mm version on Hope hubs). They are 2 ½ years old and I haven’t had any issues with them.

squealer
    Free Member

i also have a set that have had 2 years of abuse and are still as good as new. Highly recommended.

Also, a friend of mine told me if you ask them to write a value of $50 on the package they will.

njee20
    Free Member

HMRC are wise to that though, don’t expect that to avoid fees.

mos

I have the 38mm 29er ones on mt 29 plus hardtail.
    Eff me they are like riding on girders, so much so that i’m looking at something more compliant.
    (i’m 15st)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had my 30mm internal rims for 2 years. I’ve smacked them into lots of stuff including ripping sidewalls in tubeless tyres by getting water bars wrong. Not only are they unmarked but they are still dead straight where I reckon alloy rims would have some major dings

Milkie
    Free Member

38mm 29er Wheels – I like them, as Tony would say.. They’re Great!

My friend kills wheels, Mavic Crossmax Enuro’s were runined after 1 ride and when in the Alps he usually breaks spokes on a daily basis. He has the 650b version for a year now and has not had any issues/breaks.

Northwind

My thoughts’ll be in the other thread but, I’ve had 5 LB rims (built into wheels locally, not LB wheelsets). Broke one, when it was old and well used, in a big ugly impact that could have broken anything. It’d done amazing tbh, weighed as much as a stans olympic but did an enduro world series, loads of local hard use riding, a load of uplifts- i broke it at bikeparkwales, on the hardtail. Out of warranty/crash replacement but they still gave me a big discount on a replacement, which I used to get my 29er set. Very happy. Just sold the second pair I had built, and still using a 29er set daily. They’re ace imo, not indestructible but nothing is.

Not everyone is so fussed about weight, obviously if you’re not then that’s going to change what’s important to you and what’s worth paying for (I like light wheels, they just feel better). And with the changing prices and the newest, much improved alu rims from DT, WTB and Easton alu is definitely more competitive than it was… If I was building wheels today I’m not sure what I’d get.

squealer
    Free Member

HMRC are wise to that though, don’t expect that to avoid fees.

Worked for my friend, no import duty or fees. Maybe he just got lucky.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Yay! Tax fraud! 😆 😀 8)

😐

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Light bicycle carbon mtb wheels’ is closed to new replies.