Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Light and Motion NiMh battery advice
  • aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Got my first proper night ride in last night and my trusty NiMh battery is not so trusty anymore! Last year it worked if I kept it on charge till the moment before I left the house. Last night it ran for about 15mins before the voltage protection on the Solo Mv kicked in and knocked it off.

So stripped it down today and found one cell that drops to about 0.8v (other cells are 1.2vish) under load after about 1 min. I have read that freezing it might revive it. So its in the freezer at the min. I dont know if this one cell is the culprit of if the whole pack is dead.

The pack measures about 11v. Should I:-

a) replace the one cell, seems to be about £6 from Maplin. The worry is that the whole pack may be on its way out but maybe not as its only lightly used.

b) buy a 10.8v RC/airsoft jobbie (about £35 from ebay) and attach my L&M connector and thermal breaker to this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230531145589&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT anyone done this before?

Cheers for any advice.

Aaron

fergusd

The single cell with the low voltage will be the problem, probably caused by cell reversal . . . regardless, change it and it’ll probably be fine . . . I’m sure someone on here could sell you a single cell for a lot less than 6 quid . . .

Apart from making it cold, I doubt freezing it will do anything . . .

Fd

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Cheers FD any pointers to cheap cells would be great as I cant find them online easily.

fergusd

I expect that smudge bloke may be the person to speak to . . . you need to determine the cell physical size and capacity . . .

Fd

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

from their size they look to be 7/5AF (17 x 66mm) batteries. As to their capacity I have no idea, the code marked on them don’t seem to mean much.

fergusd

Just looked on RS, about 8 quid for a 4000mAh cell of that size . . . if the maplin one is the same, I’d try that . . . assuming it’s a tagged cell . . .

smudge
    Free Member

AB.

I have a supply of 4Ah 1.2V NiMH 4/3A cells.

I can build you pack up if you want, it will come fitted with both thermal and over-current protection.

Email me if you are interested.

You’re best just changing the whole battery than the duff cells.

Smudge

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

tried the RS single cell solution and it worked for 15mins!

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

I have a supply of 4Ah 1.2V NiMH 4/3A cells

I can build you pack up if you want, it will come fitted with both thermal and over-current protection.

I tried the RS single cell solution and it worked for 15mins!

FFS, just go to the fella with the batteries and the knowledge.
    🙄

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

mailed him twice and no reply!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Light and Motion NiMh battery advice’ is closed to new replies.