• This topic has 176 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)
  • Life is all about taking risks…
  • vinnyeh
    GW
    Free Member

WTF has she got a helmet on for? 😆

float
    Free Member

the helmet’s so you dont crack your head off the rock.

br
    Free Member

and to protect against falling rocks…

iDave
    Free Member

that’s really **** stupid

i’m all for risk and not mollycoddling kids, but that’s someone whose issues have issues.

druidh
    Free Member

* whoosh! *

peterfile
    Free Member

my helmet has stopped more stuff falling on my head than my head hitting off walls etc.

there’s always a risk of loose rock/ice coming down at you, whether it’s from something you just dislodged with your hand/axe, or another climber/bird/water course etc 100ft above you.

djglover
    Free Member

Loose rock, slip off and twist, hitting the rock with your back. All real risks there. She is a tool

Drac

Elf and safety: Menna Pritchard has defended her decision to rock climb with two-year-old daughter Ffion strapped to her back

Ok who works for the Daily Mail?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure the baby is learning a lot about life having made the conscious decision to take that risk.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is she trying to prove and who is she trying to prove it to?

warton
    Free Member

two things, no helmet on the kid, exposing it to rockfall, secondly, she’s been climbing for 2 years, which I would still class as a novice, mental.

allthepies
    Free Member

naff tat.

MSP

She called her baby “Ffion” she clearly has no shame!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So she is studying for a degree in Outdoor Education? At what point will she be taking the class that tells her that every participant in rock climbing activities is required to wear suitable safety equipment including helmets?

marcus
    Free Member

Is it any more ‘dangerous’ or ‘risky’ than cycling anlong a normal road in the UK with a little un in a trailer ??

aracer
    Free Member

Is it any more ‘dangerous’ or ‘risky’ than cycling anlong a normal road in the UK with a little un in a trailer ??

Yes, significantly so.

martinhutch

Three Cliffs is coastal limestone, pretty solid, but on any crag like that there’s still loose stuff that can fall off the ledges and the top of the ridge. Unlikely, but possible, particularly as that part of the cliff has people scrambling above the routes a lot.

Top-roping is pretty much the most stable and safest form of climbing, but wearing a two-year-old on your back doesn’t exactly improve your centre of gravity and balance, and if she slips sideways or misjudges when she’s lowering near the base and goes onto her back, then kid gets a clunk.

At that age, my two were getting their arms out of their baby backpack straps whenever they felt like it – not the sort of thing you’d want if you’re 50ft up at the time.

Obviously, the most damning thing is that she considers it a climb requiring a helmet, but doesn’t consider it worthwhile providing one for nipper.

I think she’s equated the word ‘toprope’ with ‘safe’. Can’t see that the two-year-old will get much out of it either.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Oh for heavens sake, she is top roped. More risk involved in driving to the crag 🙄

IanMunro
    Free Member

In the grand scheme of things the child’s probably at a much lower risk then if the mum smoked or sat around all day eating pizzas and watching the telly.

binners

Has nobody explained to her that it would be quicker and easier to get to the child to the top of the cliff with an oversize catapult?

Rubber_Buccaneer

the most damning thing is that she considers it a climb requiring a helmet, but doesn’t consider it worthwhile providing one for nipper

She can have more kids but will only ever have the one head.

marcus
    Free Member

I disagree with your assessment Aracer.

BruceWee

Hopefully none of you will ever come to Norway and see people downhill skiing while carrying toddlers their backs. It would be too shocking for you.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Attention whore. No more; no less.

br
    Free Member

😆

GrahamS

Meh… would prefer to see the child in a helmet, but other than that fair play to her.

aracer
    Free Member

I disagree with your assessment Aracer.

Why? How many babies in trailers do you hear of being seriously injured or killed?

binners

Clearly you’ve never been to Glossop

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Meh… would prefer to see the child in a helmet, but other than that fair play to her.

seems reasonable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – Member

“I disagree with your assessment Aracer.”

Why? How many babies in trailers do you hear of being seriously injured or killed?

How many toddlers going rock climbing with mum?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Nice that she has a helmet and not the toddler, cretins!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

WTF has she got a helmet on for?

so that if she falls, bits of squashed kid don’t mess up her hair

marcus
    Free Member

Aracer – About the same number as those killed / seriously injured whilst climbing strapped to their mothers backs, whilst top roping, in the UK.

Anyway – I’m not saying you are not entiltled to your assessment of the situation and opinion, just I dont agree with it.

peterfile
    Free Member

If she was lead climbing, she’d probably be locked up….but come on, other than the helmet issue (which is a big one, and a major fail in her attention whoring plan) there is little other risk to the nipper than if she had her strapped to her back for a walk in the park in winter.

In fact, one could argue that the kid (if she was wearing a helmet) is safer on mum’s back whilst top roping and slipped, than if mum slipped on a patch of ice in the park (nothing to catch you fall).

Provided the guy belaying knows what he’s doing, then the risk is actually quite minimal (helmet stupidity aside).

I come off continually whilst top roping (especially when ice climbing), and even when trying some fairly big moves, I don’t “fall”, nor do I tend to spin round and smack my back on regular pitched routes.

aracer
    Free Member

About the same number as those killed / seriously injured whilst climbing strapped to their mothers backs, whilst top roping, in the UK.

See:

How many toddlers going rock climbing with mum?

I’m not saying you are not entiltled to your assessment of the situation and opinion, just I dont agree with it.

and I was wondering if you had any basis for your assessment.

DezB
    Free Member

Calm down everyone, I’ve found the original pic

marcus
    Free Member

Aracer – My assessment is made from years of climbing and cycling, albeit without my kids strapped to my back or in tow. I have come a lot closer to being killed / seriously injured on the road by inconsiderate driving by others, as opposed to top roping a climb.

mintimperial

I bet her kid has a bloody splendid time growing up with a mum like that.

Unlike most Mail readers’ kids, who will grow up into empty, shrivelled husks slumped behind desks pecking at keyboards like pigeons in Skinner boxes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I meant how many toddlers get killed going rock climbing with mum?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘Life is all about taking risks…’ is closed to new replies.