Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Life going nowhere fast……
  • nickegg
    Free Member

…..is how my wife and i feel right now and i would like to ask the Singletrack massive what they might do in our position!

I was made redundant from my role as technical designer for a very upmarket fitted furniture manuacturer(kitchens,bathrooms etc) 6 months ago and my wife works her ass off for f-all money as a very skilled furniture/antiques restorer.

Financially we’re only just surviving although her recent £600 tax bill looks likely to screw us.

We have the opportunity to go to Australia, my stepfather gave us the money for flights for our wedding present. He lives in Perth and keeps telling us we should move out there asap as our skills are much. I was previously a cabinet maker prior to taking on design work.

So…..Would you go? We have no kids, just a dog, rent a house so no mortgage and someone to stay with when we get there.

I guess we feel pretty fed up with alot of things and really want to run away so to speak.

Is that the right thing to do?

I would really appreciate your opinion on this quys.

Thanks

Nick.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hell yes. Nothing to lose, only fun and adventure to be had. Life may be no easier, but it’ll be different and its sunny which makes everything feel so much better.
    DO IT!

jon1973
    Free Member

We have no kids, just a dog, rent a house so no mortgage and someone to stay with when we get there.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. What have you got to lose?

uplink
    Free Member

Why not – you can always come back

lowey

Your young, no ties here yet and lets face it the prospects are not looking good.

In your situation I’d be gone. NO question. I mean whats the worst that can happen ? You dont like it and come home ?

If you didnt go, you would be spending the rest of your life wondering what if.

Tell you what, if you dont fancy it, can I have your ticket ?

warton
    Free Member

if you have no ties, and it seems like you don’t then go, it probably is very daunting starting from scratch, but you both sound like skilled people, and the standard of live out there is far far better than here, do it!

nickc

I’d probably go, but remember a change in scenery isn’t necessarily going to make all the difference. It’s as much a change in outlook too, and you could do that here…

twinklydave

Don’t know how easy it is to get visas to work down there?, but god yes!

Go, try it out, come back if it doesn’t work out!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would agree with Lowey. It does not have to be permanent – you can always come back.

Myself I couldn’t live in Aus although I really enjoyed spending 9 months there. You have nothing to lose except your friends and family here

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Go nothing to loose, might be able to offer your dog a home if you want

elaineanne
    Free Member

hell yeah id go if i had no ties… you are in a good position to go… you know you can always come back if it doesnt suit !!! especially if you think you can walk straight into a job with your skills then you shud have no probs…. starting a new life what fun (exciting) go for it!

dunxs
    Free Member

Just check out the transport costs of the Dog first ! ( if you want to take it )
    Very expensive to ship a Dog to Oz !

coffeeking
    Free Member

twinklydave has a point, are you sure you could get a visa? Theres a selection of jobs they have free passes for, but they tend to be things like nursing etc, when I looked into it a year or two ago the only thing that tipped me over into the green light was a second degree in an engineering subject lol. Obviously if you already have a job lined up then thats no issue.

joemarshall
    Free Member

You can’t lose much by trying – I got the opportunity to go out to NZ working for 6 months, it was fun, not for me in the long term, but was great to have the opportunity to find out.

Bear in mind that lots of people move out there because they don’t like how the UK is going, and discover that much of the same things apply out there, plus you can’t get marmite or decent TV (two things people really moan about for some reason).

Have you checked the immigration stuff, to find out if you can work out there and can get at least a temporary working visa. If you’re on their ‘skills lists’, or young enough to get the 1 year visa etc.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

the standard of live out there is far far better than here

Personally I don’t reckon it’s better, it’s just you have different things and a different culture.

Joe

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have 3 mates who’ve moved to Aus. 2 of them have said it’s basically the same as the UK but warmer and slower. Warmer and slower sound good to me.

nickegg
    Free Member

Keep it coming gyus, this was the response i was hoping for 🙂

We only got married 6 weeks ago but the whole thing was kind of over-shadowed by my redundancy etc.

We’re not expecting Oz to be perfect but at least we could escape some of the constant media bombardment about the bloody recession!!! It wouldn’t be a premanent move thats for sure, i have close ties in Switzerland and my wife’s family is mostly in the UK.

Unlikely i’m sure…but does anyone have experience of taking a dog to Oz???? or know of anyone who has?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Dogs: ouch. £2500 a dog and more being quoted here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/35605-taking-dog-australia.html

basically the same as the UK but warmer and slower. Warmer and slower sound good to me.

Yeah, I found it roughly like that when I was out working in NZ and Australia. Not so good for mountain biking in many ways because they don’t have bridleways / footpaths, so you end up repeating the same trails or driving to trails a lot. The warmer thing, depends on where you go, some bits are pretty similar to the UK on rain & temperature. Slow is definitely true – downside of that is there’s just less exciting stuff going on, culturally it is quite isolated, if you like music, art or anything like that, you’ll never see anything much international, no-one much tours there.

Joe

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just took an online test – age, degree education (and wife) and profession (designer) seemed to go in my favor… Wife works for an Aussie company here in England too…

What’s the riding like in Victoria?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Man, I pretty much realise that’s kinda like asking what the riding is like in England in terms of size of area LOL

bent_udder
    Free Member

Do it now while you’ve no ties. You might regret not giving it a try when you’re older and have a mortgage, kids and the rest. Go for it!

I got to work in several different places when younger that I can’t move to now at the drop of a hat, and I’m glad I did. Even the disastrous jobs were worth it (heck, the disasters are the ones you really learn from). It sounds like you have nothing to lose by going to Oz, so I’d strongly suggest you give it a pop.

project
    Free Member

Nick so youve got no job,the wife is supporting you,you have a tax bill,now you want to go to Australia,without checking if you can get in,or where to live etc.

Stay put here,get a job,there are jobs out there,for cabinet makers/designers,probably your wife has a workshop,why not work your skills in with hersand have a joint buissness,and take things from there.

Not what you obviously wanted to hear,but my opinion.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’d be packin’ my bag already!

What have you got to lose?
    What a great adventure opportunity.

Go, and good luck.

SB 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

Its always easy to look ‘where the grass is greener’ when things are not going your way.

My Brother did go to Oz but subsequently returned, having blown a shed load of money in the process. He’s now in a worse position than before he left.

I have been through many ups and downs over the years, but finally found a job I was good at in ’92 and since then life has been generally good.

The moral of my story is that when the going gets tough……etc.

PS it’s actually not very easy to get into either!

nickegg
    Free Member

Your opinion is most welcome Project.

We can get visa’s it would seem and we would live with my stepfather in Perth. Any search on an Oz job search engine shows ALOT of vacancies for cabinet makers, a friend in Adelaide says they’re crying out for skilled workers in that trade.

Looks like we have alot of thinking to do!!!!

JulianA
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I would agree with Lowey. It does not have to be permanent – you can always come back.

Myself I couldn’t live in Aus although I really enjoyed spending 9 months there. You have nothing to lose except your friends and family here

I thought you’ld have been saying ‘the grass is no greener’, TJ! 🙂

Yep, I’d go for it. Flights paid for? +1 for can we have your tickets if you don’t use them!?

Good luck with it!

Julian

surfer
    Free Member

Looks like we have alot of thinking to do!!!!

I disagree! for thinking read “packing” 😀

I agree with the bulk of the above. Give it a go. I have 2 friends who moved out to Perth years ago. They both love it.

nickegg
    Free Member

Good to see the good ol’ Grass is greener comment 🙂

The way i see it is that things aren’t great here so leave for a year or so and experience a different culture for a while. We wouldn’t expect such a move to be some sort of solution to our woes, more like a long break from them!!!!

Anyone want to look after a very nice little dog for a year!!!!!!!!!

smogmonster

Nick, go for it. Im moving to Hobart in January next year with the missus and kids. We’ve reached the age with the kids where if we dont do it now we never will. We are taking the view that we’ll give it 2 years and review from there..it might end up costing us quite a few quid, but we have jobs that are in demand (both nurses), the houses are chaeaper, weather is warmer, sun is shining more often than not, and the beaches are clean. It has a mountain that is full of trails on its doorstep…which is bigger than Ben Nevis. We dont want to reach our forties and regret not having taken the chance to go while still (relatively) young.

Check out http://www.pomsinoz.com and http://www.britexpats.com for more info.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As long as you know you can get Visa’s a resonable job I’d be up and moving rapidly. As most of the above, it doesn’t have to permanent enough for a breath of fresh air, evaluate life and decide where you want to head! go and book the tickets now.

badblood
    Free Member

I don’t know why you are not already on the plane! Go for it! If it doesn’t work out just come back, You don’t want to get to 50 and think ‘I wonder what would have happened if I had gone to Australia?’ Much rather think when you get to 50 ‘I am really glad I tried living in Australia what an experience’

Garry_Lager

These threads always get a ‘Go for it dude, I’d be totally on the plane already, my mate’s over there and the riding is sick etc etc’ set of responses.

But in your case, I think I would have to say ‘Go for it dude, I’d be totally on the plane already’ 🙂 Seems like a crossroads for you professionally in the UK and as others have said it’s not an irreversible decision.

If you want to be talked out of it then just go online and read an Australian newspaper.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its a no brainer. As you get older you’ll regret the chances you never took rather than the ones you took which didn’t work out.

aleigh
    Free Member

Just go! I had a taster of what being a full time parent was like a few weeks back and if that were to become permanent I’d up and leave to go live with my bro in Canada 😀

You have nothing to lose.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Have you packed your bags yet then?!

gusamc
    Free Member

You would be mad not to go.
    1 – it’s pretty easy to reverse (ie flight and move costs – done)
    2 – you won’t ever have to ponder ‘what if’
    2 – Britian is very heavily in debt, and once the lying cvnt politicians admit it, esp dogshitecolour who seems prepared to bankrupt the country to buy 1 more day in power I can’t see any option but fairly significant public sector reduction AND tax rises – aka sunmmer/winter of discontent, in fact I personally think it might be so bad that I’d suggest quite a few people on here will post pro Thatcher messages – yes I really do think that.
    I’d go if I were you.

Digimap
    Free Member

Piccies of the dog please, might consider an adoption if your wife can tell me why I keep going through the topcoat when rubbing out my finishes?

FWIW I quite like Australia and Australians seem to like good furniture so provided you can get work visa’s I’d give it a shot. Not sure I’d go to Perth though, that’s a bit remote for me. East coast has the variety of mountains, beaches and cities. Perhaps north sydney or up towards brisbane for the weather.

squin
    Free Member

Nick, I’m a big believer in better to have done something and regreted it than regret never having done it!

On a ‘helping with finances’ note, if you have any credit cards or personal loans that are eating you in repayments each month, drop me a line as there is a good chance that they can be wiped clear under the Unfair Credit Agreement.

Seriously, it’s not a scam, here’s my details should you wish to check me out. I’m part of the largest FSA Directly Autorised firm in the UK, we are incredibly moral and genuinely look after clients.
    Citri
    Naturally in Strictest Confidence.

Digimap
    Free Member

^^^
    Well if the reasoned arguments aren’t convincing you then an ambulance chaser just turned up to seal the deal. Go now, go quickly.

nickegg
    Free Member

We have just decided that we’ll take the dog, it’ll be a abit of a pain and horribly expensive but we took on the responsibility of adopting her from a rescue centre so we’ll stick by that. She’s like our child!!!

We will go, life is indeed too short to have too many what if’s and we are definitely at a crossroads in our life but it will cost more than plane tickets so we’re going to plan it properly.

Hey Digimap, give me more info regarding the finish you’re applying, Kate knows her stuff so she’ll know what you need to do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Life going nowhere fast……’ is closed to new replies.