Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Libreoffice
  • zokes
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully migrated to this? Work have changed their contract with MS so no home install options available any more. I have a work-owned laptop which will always have the latest version of Word, Excel, etc for professional use, so struggling to justify an Office365 subscription for home.

I’m a Mac user, so obviously have the option of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, but I thought compatibility between those and MS is difficult. How have people gone using Libre in a MS Office environment?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Work issue MBPs but we also extensively use Google Docs. At home I use MS Office on !y desktop but also have a Linux laptop so Libre / Open Office.

If you’re using a lot of advanced functions, formatting and that kind of thing then you’re better off using the same software across the board. If it’s more basic word processing then it’s rare to get a problem.

As I rarely us anything more complex than page breaks I manage just fine swapping between the three and using Google Docs for much of it. If I have a more specific task with references, indentation, lists and the kind of thing used in more technical documents then I use Office (MS or Mac) just because I’m faster moving around its interface. I can’t remember the last time OO or Libre messed it up though.

Not a technical or specific reply I’m afraid but neither is my use of the software. IME, in general, you’ll be fine for all the simpler stuff.

Give this a read.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28342/how-to-maintain-document-compatibility-between-libreoffice-and-other-office-suit

matt_outandabout

I agree – Google docs works well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What are you trying to do? Google docs is great for the basic stuff.

fisha
    Free Member

Libreoffice is fine enough to use I find. I reckon it’s a bit like using an older version of word. For fairly standard documents it seemed to be pretty compatable but advanced word docs would skew it a little.

There is also the web versions of office that are online which again are pretty good for basic stuff.

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve got Libre and WPS.
    I use a commercial spreadsheet software that is used with MS Office, but I really didnt want to pay £500 for Office, so tried it with Libre, which couldnt cope with the formatting, but WPS does.
    I paid £50ish for WPS as the standard version doesnt do some macros in spreadsheets.
    Both are pretty good, Libre is used here for everyday invoicing etc, WPS is used for custom software spreadsheet templates.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t use it for work, if others are using MS. I had it completely Roger a collaborative document, so it had to be recreated via copy and paste. And it mangled diagrams which had to be redrawn. All in a high pressure client situation.

jambalaya
    Free Member

IME Apple apps are significantly better than Google Docs, especially Pages. The one area both fall down on is complex spreadhseets with macros. A good friend runs his business on open office.

zokes
    Free Member

IME Apple apps are significantly better than Google Docs, especially Pages.

But how compatible are they with their MS brethren? I thought Keynote was completely incompatible. Not explored the others yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Libreoffice’ is closed to new replies.