Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Liar liar pants on fire
  • Pigface
    Free Member

I am pretty sure “call me Dave” promised to cut migration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454

Seems he has failed spectacularly wonder if his press will give him a hard time.

Breaking election promises has done for the Lib Dems.

Cougar

Is it telling that I thought “ah, a David Cameron thread” before I opened this?

therevokid
    Free Member

politicians breaking election promises ? … who’d have thought ??

martinhutch

Yes, but the politicians I like are so much more principled than the politicians you like…

Only five years to go, OP. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

I may like your politicians hutch, but as “cmd” has made such an art from of blaming the previous administration for failures I wonder whom or what he is going to blame for this one.

You sound like an Australian scrum half 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m unsure of your point – we are a member of the EU, we cannot directly control EU migration, it’s illegal. Dave didn’t make that the Law, his predecessors did.

If we want to change that, we have to leave the EU, Dave is giving us a referendum on doing just that, he was unable to do so previously as he did not win a majority in the 2010 election, now he has he is doing it.

What would you suggest he did in the meantime?

Pigface
    Free Member

Gallop away ninfan 🙂

Pretty simple promised to reduce numbers hasn’t reduced numbers. Maybe he should of done a bit more research before trotting out a promise he couldn’t keep.

Are you happy his this failure 😆

oliverd1981
    Free Member

we cannot directly control EU migration, it’s illegal.

So why just do it – what’s the fine?

Junkyard
    Free Member

we cannot directly control EU migration, it’s illegal. Dave didn’t make that the Law, his predecessors did.

Its always been a part of the EU we have had since we joined….who exactly are you trying to blame here in an effort to ignore the fact he gave an no ifs and no buts promise and them missed it by a very very long way

you would have more credibility if you just accepted the obvious and criticised him – its akin to me trying to defend Blairs dossier this.

I think there are three lessons here

1. Never ever believe a politician
    2. if you are a politician never make a promise or a pledge
    3. if the press are on your side you get much nicer treatment for failing

Northwind

ninfan – Member

What would you suggest he did in the meantime?

Not promise to reduce numbers obviously, especially when they knew from day one that they’d not even attempt to meet their absurd target. Not blaming the Lib Dems for it would be a good move too.

Actually cutting immigration as much as they promised would have been a terrible idea so it’s just as well they were lying about it. But that doesn’t make it OK that they were lying.

ninfan
    Free Member

Pretty simple promised to reduce numbers hasn’t reduced numbers.

Duh, promised to reduce numbers if they won the election

They didn’t, remember?

It’s like criticising The SNP for failing to get rid of trident…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

wait there, is ninfan David Cameron?!

If you read the article you will see that immigration from outside the EU is rising just as quickly! so leaving the EU will not solve it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So ninfans argument is the PM did not win the election 😆

FWIW the wording was if you elect a conservative govt.
    Most would consider that this happened and it was his watch

I assume he wont take credit or blame for anything in the last govt then as it has **** all to do with him

Childish and nit amusing as an argument

I’m pretty sure most of the voting public have trouble telling the difference between the free movement of EU citizens and “immigration”, (or at least my Daily Mail reading MIL does).

A politician making deliberate vague promises about things he can’t do anything about in a cynical attempt to get more votes. who’da thought it?

Pigface
    Free Member

Guffaw at Ninfan

if I had any respect for you your reply would have made me think “he is a little scamp” instead it makes you look like a slimy creep who twists and turns to avoid the truth.

ninfan
    Free Member

If you read the article you will see that immigration from outside the EU is rising just as quickly! so leaving the EU will not solve it.

Again, ECHR (condition of EU membership) assures right to family life, so having accepted some, we have to accept their spouses etc. and cannot return others.

Leave EU, no longer bound by ECHR, control returned to UK Parliament – in the meantime we are bound to accept.

FWIW the wording was if you elect a conservative govt.

They didn’t, everyone knows that thry didn’t, there was a coalition.

in fact I recall you quite clearly pointing out at the time that the conservatives didn’t have a mandate – if they didn’t have a mandate, then clearly they didn’t have a mandate to restrict immigration, did they?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Leave EU, no longer bound by ECHR,

AHHHHHH
    THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING

Its why CMD wants to leave the later and negotiate to stay in the former

At least your posting is consistent on this thread 😉

MoreCashThanDash

At least he has learnt from his ill thought and poorly researched promise to reduce migration.

In two years time he will have agreed an entire new EU constitution so we can have a referendum on it. And we all know how the EU likes to fit in with our plans and timescales.

😆 or 🙄

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I think you will find that the European Court of Human Rights is NOT an EU institution, and we are not bound to be a signatory of this if we want EU membership. The Lisbon Treaty merely made the EU a fellow signatory of this but also accession states must sign the declaration, there is no legal commitment from current members, of which we are one.

stop reading the Daily Fail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

globalti
    Free Member

This thread just proves what I’ve always said about politics…. that politicians bicker and argue and make changes while the Good Ship Britain ploughs on, her course hardly deviating from that set by the rest of the world and Europe.

Same as climate change really….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The positive spin on this is that he’s fixed the economy so well that people want to come here in preference to anywhere else. I know, why don’t all the Tory & DC haters put their money and principles where their mouths are and leave the UK and emmigrate to Poland, Slovenia etc. as its so bad here, alledgedly, and will only get worse over another 5 years under the Tories. That’ll balance out the net figure nicely.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well since immigrants are an essential part of the recovery this can only be good news. Remove free movement from Europe and the UK’s debt would go up. If there were to be zero net migration the Office of Budget Responsibility say the public debt would be around 145% of GDP by 2062, as opposed to 73% of GDP with high net migration.

Who wins this one then? The austerity mongers or the bigots?

(sauce- http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know, why don’t all the Tory & DC haters put their money and principles where their mouths are and leave the UK

What a very odd non sequitur that is, even for here.
    You just made ninfan look like he was making good points with sound thinking

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I think Wobbliscott that unfortunately it would not balance out, as if you look at the % of people who did not vote Tory, it far outweighs the number that did. So your idea would see a mass exodus even by biblical standards.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Liar liar pants on fire’ is closed to new replies.