Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • LG/etc – phone watches – gimmick or great?
  • hora
    Free Member

I came across this: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-g-watch-for-android-smartphones-black-p44653.htm?referer=aff_aw_47868

I like the idea but where from etc?! Do you buy them as you would a google phone and a sim on sim only contract?

jam-bo

gimmick.

until apple reinvents them next month and then they’ll be essential and life changing.

Cougar

I’m not familiar with the LG, but historically these things have failed to live up to expectations. The Pebble is about the only good one I’m aware of.

That said, I love the concept, especially the Siri-a-like voice control. I wonder if I can program it to replace the startup “Ok Google” command with “Ok KITT”?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I understand them it’s linked to your phone so is in effect a second screen. Pair it with your mini tablet phone and you have a just make a call/send text read message screen without fumbling for your phone

Cougar

The more I think about this, the more I think that a phone watch is the missing link in current tech.

Phones are getting bigger and bigger; I don’t need a huge phone, I have a tablet. Putting the WWAN / phone tech into a watch along with basic sensors, and having the tablet do the heavy lifting, sounds perfect to me.

C’mon Google, give us a Nexus 2, I’ll be over it like a tramp on chips.

hora
    Free Member

Agree. I’m sick of sticking the bloody phone in my pocket, on the dash, down the side of the bed, sofa arm etc etc etc.

When you’ve got a tablet – you really don’t need a big screen on your phone for emails/browsing etc etc.

muggomagic

I got one last week and it’s really good. I can see who’s text/emailed/calling and either read the message or decide whether or not to get the phone out and answer the call or just hang up from the watch.
    I can also follow a route on viewranger from the watch as it shows the route and the navigation arrow, next turn etc.
    Really pleased with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    The more I think about this, the more I think that a phone watch is the missing link in current tech.

I’d agree with missing link rather than killer feature, so long as it’s not overloaded, the screen shots show simplified Google Now Cards which seems perfect, and the content of your notification bar. Anything bigger get the phone out, answer the call (to a headset?) without getting the phone out your pocket (or taking it off your wireless charging pad) in fact if the connectivity was good enough you could probably leave your big phone at home and just take the watch out 😉

jam bo – Member
    gimmick.

until apple reinvents them next month and then they’ll be essential and life changing.
    Kleenex are on standby for the release

hora
    Free Member

Muggo – so its connected via bluetooth? Who did you get it through etc? Could I ‘tether'(?) it to my existing phone/provider (3).

Class.

muggomagic

Got it from curry’s. It connects via Bluetooth you just download the android wear app and it does it all for you. Doesn’t matter what network you’re on so long as you have a phone running jelly bean or above.

Cougar

I’m liking this.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/an-android-smartphone-inside-a-watch-with-a-beautiful-design-meet-inwatch-z

I’m liking this a lot.

£172 from “Chinavision.com”. Anyone want to buy a HTC One to fund me?

hora
    Free Member

Yep -on Jelly bean on S3 Mini. Will look it up.

Question- it looks like a on remand/licence tag here?!

bearnecessities

Hora’s wrist.

hora
    Free Member

Liking that Suunto- I’ve got a very battered S6.

brooess
    Free Member

Does it mean people will start looking where they’re going again?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got a pebble, had it for a few weeks. It’s certainly not ‘necessary’ or a critical thing but I do find it useful, particularly for when I’m on the bike (which is what I got it for – I don’t really wear it all the time at the moment) to avoid needing to look at my phone if it rings/texts/whatever while I’m riding.

That said, the Google Wear watches have a fair bit more functionality and are probably easier to use (I’m fine with the pebble but I wouldn’t expect someone non-techy to get the best out of it) so I’ll be interested to see how they go.

And of course to see if Apple will come out with anything clever/new or whether they’ll just be a rehash of what’s already available with a little more polish and a load more cost. I’m hoping for the former as no doubt it’d quickly be copied for those of us who prefer android-flavour.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When Apple release their device everyone will just try and copy it and sell it for less.

Watch will be useful as it will likely have data sensors (heart rate etc) and be able to show messages and likely GPS directions. As above it will work by being paired with your phone for more advanced features or simpler ones stand alone.

I believe Apple’s device will be very popular and sell millions as it will be well thought out and thus very useful.

nemesis
    Free Member

Watch will be useful as it will likely have data sensors (heart rate etc) and be able to show messages and likely GPS directions. As above it will work by being paired with your phone for more advanced features or simpler ones stand alone.

None of that is new though which is kind of my point. I’m hoping that Apple can actually come up with something clever and stand out better like they did with the iPhone rather than just polishing up what’s already out there a little.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    When Apple release their device everyone will just try and copy it and sell it for less.

Yep can’t wait for the android wearable tech to come out after apple invent it. Just waiting for them to invent some glasses that pair with a phone too.:)

hora
    Free Member

None of that is new though which is kind of my point.

Apple will try to make out it IS all new though and sue the crap out of everyone.

Lifer
    Free Member

Samsung do one with a heart rate sensor in it

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Right now they all look like a bad prop from Blakes 7. If someone can actually make them look like an object that people might want to wear then they stand a good chance of going mainstream.

As easy as it is to knock Apple’s way of doing things making a technical object desirable has traditionally been where they are very strong so it might actually be worth waiting to see what they do.

The closest thing to a good looking smartwatch that I’ve seen is the moto 360 which is nice but still not quite there.

It’s just a visual concept so an awful lot easier rendered than done but I think this is the sort of direction that they need to be heading for:

more images here

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s just a visual concept so an awful lot easier rendered than done but I think this is the sort of direction that they need to be heading for:

I’m happy for them to take lots of directions and come up with a huge variety of designs otherwise we would all look like geeks at a startrek convention with our matching tricorders and gadgets.

muggomagic

I imagine that if you’ve small wrists they will look a little odd. I’m going to get a better looking strap for mine as the plain rubberised plastic one just looks a bit cheap.

I wasn’t expecting to be able to do much more than read notifications and see who’s calling etc and also the google now voice commands, but there are so many useful apps out already. I can now adjust the volume of my music from the watch which is handy when I’ve got it plugged into the speakers and I’m washing up/cooking dinner, I can set the phone to silent, vibrate or back to normal. I can start, pause and finish a strava route from the watch, follow a route via Google maps, take notes. It’s still early days and it seems a lot of the devs have bought into this idea.

Pic of ViewRanger navigation screen

Edit: I think the moto 360 looks great, but I do wonder how good some of the apps will look when you have less space to display them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike 🙂
    I appreciate what you’re saying but Google is still a bit stuck when it comes to hardware products. Glass is just a showcase to they and demonstrate how smart they are.

I expect the iOS8 integration to be excellent and you are going to have the excellent Apple product quality. The iWatch is going to dominate the market.

EDIT: If the iWatch looks like @muppett’s second rendering and the price is reasonable I think I’ll buy one / put it on the Christmas list.

igm

I think cougar has it

SIM card in watch setting up a hot spot that my phone tablet or PC can connect to the world via.

Phone does text messages, calendar and maybe phone functions via headphones.

jam-bo

And where does the battery go…

Cougar

SIM card in watch setting up a hot spot that my phone tablet or PC can connect to the world via.

Exactly that. Map the hotspot to a physical button, so when I want the ‘net I hit the button, and by the time I’ve fished out my tablet it’s paired and good to go. Second press when I’m done to save juice and for security.

And, how about a speaker on the back of the watch face for phone calls. Have a quick release catch between the body and the strap, so if the ‘phone’ rings you can unclip it from the bracelet and hold it to your ear.

And where does the battery go…

It shouldn’t be that bad, I don’t think. Biggest drain on a modern phone is driving the big daft high-brightness screens.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

i’d like to see more nfc content. like being able to pay or open doors by grabbing the door handle.

How about exchange contact information when shaking someones hand at a meeting rather than using business cards.
    No doubt the focus is lifestyle and fitness as it seems to be a growing markets. Expect everyone to get up and drink, eat and pee to a schedule on their watches. 🙂

For the moment I reckon its a gimmick but pretty soon it will be everywhere. I0’d like one of those moto 360s when they come out.

Cougar

i’d like to see more nfc content. like being able to pay or open doors by grabbing the door handle.

Integrated Oyster card?

kimbers

will it have a camera in? perfect angle to see up ones nose on video calls

I think apples days of innovation are long past, itunes gets shitter with every update

like spesh and 650b they failed to see that the ipad mini would be what people want lettining nexus 7 get a foothold, only a fool would buy an ipad/phone over the much cheaper android options.
    of course people desire audis over skodas……

CountZero

hora – Member
    Agree. I’m sick of sticking the bloody phone in my pocket, on the dash, down the side of the bed, sofa arm etc etc etc.

When you’ve got a tablet – you really don’t need a big screen on your phone for emails/browsing etc etc.

Bugger-all use for actual navigation use, or for reading a book, listening to music, taking photos, or proper web browsing…
    In fact pretty much everything I carry my phone for would be a royal PITA on a wrist-sized device.
    I can see the point of a fully integrated Fitbit-type wristband, but it really don’t want one of those, either.
    I’ve got two perfectly good watches that don’t need batteries for when I want the time; anything else is utterly superfluous.
    A phone with a 5.5″ screen, OTOH, would avoid my needing an iPad Mini for carrying around.
    With 128Gb of storage, please.

kimbers

I suppose the goal will be a bracelet type thing that rolls out into a phone/ tablet when u want it to

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘LG/etc – phone watches – gimmick or great?’ is closed to new replies.