Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Letting a wind breath
  • plant
    Free Member

I know and appreciate all the benefits of letting a bottle of red wine breath but I have very little patience!

Is there any gadget or suggestions on how to significantly reduce the breathing time but get the same results?

Cheers,

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Let the wind do the work (though you had that sussed though) 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

Do you mean 'wine' and 'breathe'?

I never bother, but rarely spend over £8 on a bottle so doesn't matter much I suppose…

kimbers

as i understand it you are just letting some of the wine evaporate a bit and make it smell nice and as smell is a powerful component of taste you get a better hit?

so just shake it, maybe whisk it? 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

Decant it..mid you with a cheap bottle it aint worth the effort.

Lactic
    Free Member

(Wine ponce alert) you need to decant it.

alternatively pouring into the glass from a height, so it splashes, should aerate it a bit

IanMunro
    Free Member

I know and appreciate all the benefits of letting a bottle of red wine breath but I have very little patience!

I thought this had been demonstrated to be a load of codswollop a few years back 😉

plant
    Free Member

Ahh, yes …. spelling bypass this evening – sorry 'bout that!

Flaperon – that second link has a seriously dodgy looking pouch ……..

Cheers all.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about farting through ones mouth

To be honest was rather dissappointed with the actual content especially being a non-drinker

Stoner
    Free Member

for average wine I decant into a jug by pouring from a height to give it a bit of chance of early oxidation. Let it sit for 10 minutes

for good wine then you may want to use something like a decanting funnel which gently aerates the wine but still you need to let it sit for a while longer.

BTW one of the wine producers from whom Ive bought one of my most expensive wines actually recommends his wines are opened and decanted the DAY BEFORE you want to drink it.

Flaperon
    singletrackmind

I find temperature more important than breathing. I have issues with places who serve cold red wine. I mean, how hard is it to keep it somewhere anbient?
    I ( gets ready for slating) stand mine in warm water for 15 – 20 mins ,opened. I think this accelerates the process, or at least when you then pour it into a glass it out-gasses at a faster rate? or not .

headfirst
    Free Member

stm, you're wrong-FACT. 'room temp' for red wine means c.15degC, not 'modern, centrally heated, double glazed, thermostat at 21C' temp

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/advisory/openservetemperature.shtml

BoardinBob

BTW one of the wine producers from whom Ive bought one of my most expensive wines actually recommends his wines are opened and decanted the DAY BEFORE you want to drink it.

I'd certainly agree with that. Wine tastes, for me, noticeably better a day after it's been decanted.

samuri
    Free Member

heh! I used to work as a wine waiter in a fairly large restaurant. The shite that people came out with. They'd talk about how well the wine had been poured and how long it had been aired and it was all complete bollocks. I could never taste the difference between a bottle that had been open for half an hour or one that had been open for 2 seconds and clearly neither could they.

I'd say the biggest single factor in the taste of a bottle of red wine was the temperature. Anything that felt cold in the mouth tasted worse than anything that was warm but otherwise… well I'm very cynical about it all. I think 99.99…ad infinatum…% of people haven't got a clue and the remainder actually taste wines for a living.

BoardinBob

I could never taste the difference between a bottle that had been open for half an hour or one that had been open for 2 seconds

Heathen 8)

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Temperature isnt as important with Buckfast 😀

BoardinBob

I'm saddened to say I've never tried the bucky

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Letting a wind breath’ is closed to new replies.