Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lets talk facias/soffits
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Wood! I much prefer the look of wood, and mine need doing urgently. Any reason why wood shouldn't last twenty years?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Wood does look nice, but the thought of getting up there to sand/paint them never really filled me with joy at our previous place. 20 years sounds a bit ambitious as those were less than 10 and needed attention. It was a new-ish build though so they might have cut corners on the treatment.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

my facias and soffits are original from the 1930's . the upkeep is one of those occasions where a stitch in time saves nine. dont forget that plastic will be around for a really long time after you have discarded it

spooky_b329

Be aware that many of the UPVC companies just do a cover up and pin new UPVC over the old rotten crap. Just incase you decide to replace with UPVC.

donald
    Free Member

External wood should last for centuries if frequently painted.

oldgit
    Free Member

The other issue is that my house is rendered and painted white, and already the double glazing looks 'off white' compared to the white masonary paint.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cheap windows without enough UV inhibitor?

Wood works fine if painted every few years, it's not a massive task.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member
    Be aware that many of the UPVC companies just do a cover up and pin new UPVC over the old rotten crap. Just incase you decide to replace with UPVC.

Many will also qoute and say that scaffold isn't needed; it should be, otherwise how are the YTS boys going to ensure it is fastened on correctly all the way round. Such companies don't like qouting with scaffold as their "competitive" prices suddenly go mainstream.

oldgit
    Free Member

I don't think they were coffeeking, my BIL runs a double glazing business and assured me there were the best (at the time) But the house is painted Briliant White. Though I'm trying to get permision to change it, but it has some sort of order on it regards colours.

oldgit
    Free Member

Trying to get a colour like this passed, there is an English version quite common in the Lakes.

spooky_b329

There are many different shades of UPVC white. One companies white is anothers brilliant white. Apparently…

aP
    Free Member

Try painting using Broken White, RAL 9001 (Dulux 37YY77/070) as it won't look as dirty so quickly. I would never specify anything to be finsihed in a Brilliant white as it goes off too quickly and looks tatty.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wood will last for ever with maintenance especially if you use decent wood. UPVC will last around 25 years with no maintainece. wood always looks better as well

BigJohn

I'm just repainting the outside of my house. The house itself is about 170 years old and I think most of the windows were replaced in the 1950's.

20 years ago I had a joiner replace all the rotten exterior wood and then I stripped it all down as far as it would go and used a preservative primer, microporous undercoat and topcoat. Just like the Dulux trade weathershield system that you can get today.

I'm really pleased at how it's all lasted. I only found 2 rotten bits, and they were under a leaking lead flashing. I haven't even had to touch the eaves/fascias.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk facias/soffits’ is closed to new replies.