Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 434 total)
  • Let's Talk About Bullying.
  • zokes
    Free Member

Anyway there you have it, if you are a sad inadequate person who wants to see other forum users banned, then just keep complaining about them – there’s a fair chance you’ll exceed.

Back, and already hurling insults – good on you Ernie…

derekrides
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    derekrides – Member
    The moderation of this forum is very bizarre.

Apparently if there are enough complaints concerning one forum user, this justifies banning them on a whim – that was the reason which Mark gave me for a extended ban which I recently received. I suspect that it only requires a dozen or so people to persistently complain, out of a forum of several thousands, for this to have an effect- I don’t know, but I can’t imagine that there’s many more than a dozen or so people who really give a monkeys what I think or say.

All of which I guess causes what appears to be rather bizarre moderation decisions. Still, it’s not my forum and I don’t have to post if I don’t want to, so I’m not unduly bothered by it all.

Anyway there you have it, if you are a sad inadequate person who wants to see other forum users banned, then just keep complaining about them – there’s a fair chance you’ll succeed.

Although interesting enough despite all the “good riddance” comments concerning Elfie on the other thread, and the “why don’t you follow him” ones directed at TJ, the two people who by far most STWers on a recent thread said they wanted to meet, was, yes, you’ve guessed it, TJ and Elfie. And I didn’t get the impression that it was because people couldn’t stand them.

So the persistent whingers far from having a positive effect on the forum, are likely to have a negative effect by getting rid of popular forum users. Still it’s not my forum so I’m not unduly bothered by it.

Well thanks for that, I felt it favoured the existing ‘clique’ as I managed five bans in the first three months and have noticed lots of them not banned for far less withering remarks than my banal quips.

Not sure why I persist, banning is a very serious punishment on most of the other forums I visit and only resorted to in extreme circumstances so difficult not to take offence when it’s occasioned for fairly trivial ‘incidents’.

There is an increasing culture of ‘being upset’ for attention seeking device that is very prevalent here, as is an extraordinary left leaning PC tendency for a world that is supposedly aimed at the ruffty tuffty mtb rider.

Then from what I gather the powers that be aint any of that which makes it all the more perplexing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

see derek it stuff like that, though usually more extreme, that gets you banned.

the other think is what you see as banal quips others view as offensive.

take your views on PC etc and insinuating they are not proper men [ rufty tufty types], some will find this as offensive as you seem to find the guardian reading left.

Given this the mods wont please everyone, not you and not me.
    As you note there are other forums if you feel you can express yourself more freely.

v8ninety

S’weird. I’m quite new, but I have been enjoying and quite actively participating in the ‘chat’ side of things on here. I’ve not been banned warned or had posts removed at all since being here, but nor have I ONCE felt the need to use the report post button. I think it’s that button that is the problem. It causes lots of work for the mods, which probably makes them grumpy, and as they end up exposed to potentially iffy posts more as a result, probably aren’t very patient. A much more light touch modding policy would probably be a good idea…

derekrides
    Free Member

It’s a mountain bike forum ffs, not mums net…

That’s what I find so perplexing..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Back, and already hurling insults – good on you Ernie…

😀 You think someone who is determined to see another forum user banned is a
    ‘happy confident person’ ? !

Why don’t you complain about my “insulting” post to the mods zokes eh ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s a mountain bike forum ffs, not mums net…

yep, a forum about bikes and shit. people seem to take it far more seriously than is healthy.
    it’s the internet. it’s not real! it’s just 1’s and 0’s

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

v8 – I think on the whole the modding is fairly light touch. today was a one off from what I have seen on here.

However the modding is inconsistent and capricious and some people get treated differently from others – thats what annoys me.

brakes
    Free Member

is there a ‘forumaholics annoymous’?
    I could suggest some names for the first meeting.
    as a purveyor of such addictive substances, perhaps STW Towers are duty-bound to provide funding and biscuits, rather than just cold turkey.

I might start the ‘forumobserverholics annoymous’ society.

brakes/ bakes – here since August 2003

Junkyard
    Free Member

thanks TJ Can we hear it just one more time as i am confused still about what annoys you…..ah yes its people having different opinions from you isnt it? like say the mods or those who own the site you visit – obviously this is hypocrisy

TandemJeremy – Member
    Coyote
    I simply have a different opinion to some on here and some agree with me. Its not hypocrisy its a different opinion.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diane-abbott-im-surprised-it-has-taken-a-year/page/8#post-3345050

MrSmith
    Free Member

However the modding is inconsistent and capricious and some people get treated differently from others – thats what annoys me.

just like real life then.
    but only the ‘real’ world unfairness that impinges on your ‘real’ life is worth getting annoyed about. imho

derekrides
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    v8 – I think on the whole the modding is fairly light touch. today was a one off from what I have seen on here.

True, you said “fuzzy wuzzies” and nothing happened, I said “slanty eyed” and got the ban and then a bit more because they didn’t think they’d given enough the first time…

So in truth you are favoured, clearly there is more being occasioned behind the scenes, this place is not light touch, not in the slightest…

Anyway as the man said their playground their rules, like it or leave..

Or not.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

thanks TJ Can we hear it just one more time as i am confused still about what annoys you…..ah yes its people having different opinions from you isnt it? like say the mods or those who own the site you visit – obviously this is hypocrisy

Harsh junkyard – harsh.

I am irked by the inconsistent modding. What Elf got banned for others do not. there are other people I the same position and mark has publicly said they get treated differently

Differnt opinions are fine – no issue with that at all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Derek – I did get a warning for that. I am suprised you did not see it was posted ironically – poking fun at the attitudes of those who think its acceptable to kill people in far off lands as if their lives are of less value

There is actually a member on here called fuzzywuzzie

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you said “fuzzy wuzzies” and nothing happened

For goodness sake. Corporal Jones in Dad’s Army says “fuzzy wuzzies” all the time, and that is good ol’ family entertainment. Only last week I heard him say it.

The fuzzy wuzzies don’t like it up ’em *FACT*

derekrides
    Free Member

And mine wasn’t ironic?

I don’t condemn anyone for what they say or type and wouldn’t ordinarily report any post, having said that, this place did drive me to do exactly that, so it’s catching.. ( I didn’t like the Queens head on some obnoxious body thing so reported it, even so I didn’t expect the guy to be banned all i wanted was the thing removed which is normal practise) They ban here and ask questions after, instead of simply removing offensive posts then wrist slapping which might be wiser..

RustySpanner

I’ve only used the ‘report’ function once:
    It was one of the Al/TJ yawnathons from a year or so ago when they seemed to both be attempting to flood the forum with personal, infantile arguments.

I think I said something along the lines of ‘Can we please have a bit of a break from these two idiots?’
    I think we had two days peace before it all started again.

I’d do it again under the same circumstances.

Woody
    Free Member

[quote]I am irked by the inconsistent modding. [/quote]
    That’s just two I can be bothered quoting.

Wording it slightly differently doesn’t make it any more interesting or carry any more weight.

It does make it increasingly friggin irritating though, especially as you choose to conveniently ignore other factors such as accumulation of complaints, history etc etc 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    It does make it increasingly friggin irritating though, especially as you choose to conveniently ignore other factors such as accumulation of complaints, history etc etc

It’s a bit like persistent fouling in some sports. Do it a couple of times, it’s fine. A few more times, you get a warning. Keep it up and you’re off.

zokes
    Free Member

You think someone who is determined to see another forum user banned is a
    ‘happy confident person’ ? !

I’m not sure most people care enough about internet fora in general for it to reflect on their ‘real’ lives in the slightest

I am irked by the inconsistent modding. What Elf got banned for others do not. there are other people I the same position and mark has publicly said they get treated differently

Ultimately, as Mark has said before, there are a minority of users who cause the majority of the headaches for Mark & Co. It’s a lot easier just to get rid of those users. Sure, the chat forum may be a bit emptier for a little while but I’m sure discussions will still go on. I’m also pretty sure that for the most part, the cycling forum i.e. why this website exists, will carry on as if nothing had ever happened.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing that matters has happened at all.

derekrides
    Free Member

Well I don’t like to see anyone banned unless they’re a total and persistent pain, I can’t say I cared for the Elfin fella, but he was easily ignored as are any of you, it is only a forum and it’s chatter, but I do miss being able to use the full spectrum of my ironic sword and sarcastic shield with which to combat said irritations

So I don’t and remain boring as a result.

v8ninety

I take it elf will be back under a new name at some point anyway? You can’t just make him go cold turkey. It’d probably kill him, he obviously lives for his ‘argue fixes’.

RustySpanner

It’s probably about time he had a rest – he’s at that point on his mental trajectory where he starts being a bit nasty and a general pain in the arse toward everyone.

Hopefully it might do him a bit of good.

Kevevs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiaKo_AjY4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

kaesae
    Free Member

Twit Twoo

Restless night!

I got banned a while back for doing something in a thread on a certain webshite, when I pointed out I hadn’t actually done what I was accused of and proved it to the goderators involved.

I was told that I was banned for something else, but was never told what that something else that I was banned for was 😯

I for one think that this website has become far more feral and uncivilised over the past 12 to 18 months and most of the good people that used to be regulars are gone.

As for the self called big bullshitters they are a law unto thier own ego’s. which is too say gargantuan in thier brain farts powers.

That said it’s a bloody good place to come when you want a full on keyboard warrior bitchout!

Pook

As folks gave said, bullying can take many forms. Dominating discourse to the exclusion of others, by only engaging in conversation with certain members to the exclusion of others’ quite valid contributions is one form – like ‘cool kids’ groups at school who laugh at the new kid.

Funny how appropriate that example feels.

The so called ‘big-hitters’, in my opinion, simply don’t see how their domination of threads excludes others.

It’s become quite tiresome really and has put me (and I assume others) off the site. Not good for advertising revenues and I suspect one of the reasons for his banning.

Funnily enough, that tedious domination of a thread is again happening here.

hora
    Free Member

If anyones offended by his banning (as a few indicated) I’m sure they’ll vote with their feet.

But they won’t. The internet is a weird place. He just seemed to argue. How can someone argue THAT much? I assumed he didn’t leave his house until I saw pics another poster put up- I was surprised when I saw those.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As folks gave said, bullying can take many forms. Dominating discourse to the exclusion of others, by only engaging in conversation with certain members to the exclusion of others’ quite valid contributions is one form – like ‘cool kids’ groups at school who laugh at the new kid.

Funny how appropriate that example feels.

The so called ‘big-hitters’, in my opinion, simply don’t see how their domination of threads excludes others.

It’s become quite tiresome really and has put me (and I assume others) off the site. Not good for advertising revenues and I suspect one of the reasons for his banning.

Funnily enough, that tedious domination of a thread is again happening here

+100000

It really does put you off posting, i for one am sick of finding a potentially interesting thread – where i might learn something – taken over and ruined yet again by the over inflated ego’s of the same old posters.
    Elfinfred wasn’t/isn’t some sort of ‘warrior against pomposity’ as some claim, he was/is an ego driven cretin who’s main purpose was to annoy and upset other people.

Think i’ll stick to the bike forum…

TooTall
    Free Member

I do miss being able to use the full spectrum of my ironic sword and sarcastic shield with which to combat said irritations

So I don’t and remain boring as a result.

So – are you saying you are boring because we’re not interesting enough? ❓

rOcKeTdOg

Some peoples bullying is like an iceberg, very mild in here but i have an inbox full of very offensive and threatening stuff since the bannings, i think you can guess who from. The whole story isn’t seen here

M6TTF
    Free Member

What tyres for bullying?

Coyote
    Free Member

Elfinfred wasn’t/isn’t some sort of ‘warrior against pomposity’ as some claim, he was/is an ego driven cretin who’s main purpose was to annoy and upset other people.

+1

zokes
    Free Member

i have an inbox full of very offensive and threatening stuff since the bannings, i think you can guess who from.

I really hope you’re joking. If not, what a horrible, offensive little man, and I hope he never comes back here. Those who defend him need to take a long look at themselves.

rOcKeTdOg

No joke sadly

Edukator
    Free Member

Furious Freds!

hora
    Free Member

I was banned once for joking about Somalian pirates. I know who reported me as he was having kittens over it.

i have an inbox full of very offensive and threatening stuff since the bannings, i think you can guess who from.

You are not serious? There is a line. Even the existence of such an email is designed to create anxiety and a degree of distress.

Contact your local Police Force. They can advise you that malicious mail can be a criminal offence.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Pook +1

There are some here, including a couple who have posted on this thread, who simply shout the same opinion again and again, and don’t listen. Elfin was often very funny with his fey mockney insolence, but it is clear he has gone way beyond the pale behind the scenes and in emails to others. He’s had a pretty long leash at times.

In the end, this forum isn’t here for just you big-hitters. And I include two people who seem aggrieved by this banning, TJ and SBZ. It’s Mark’s party. If “free speech” seems stifled here, tough. SUMO chaps. And you might, by your posting behaviour, be keeping others from posting, reducing Mark’s forum traffic etc etc. Deal with it.

I would entirely exempt Bullheart’s story from this however, I was rather disappointed to hear about that. Not good. Sometimes two people can have an entirely different view of a situation, problems arise, things get handled badly. And the situation get worse. As anyone who is married knows…

One thing I really really dislike is value judgements that people are getting “bullied” on forums. It is right up there with Godwin’s law as a sign someone has lost an argument or lost it completely when they start saying people are “bullied”. Often it means that they don’t like the fact that the majority of others posting disagree with them. It is a rather pathetic and totally irrefutable thing to say, and is rarely accurate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How often in life are the folk crying “bully” actually the bullies themselves but in a more manipulative manner?

jedi

what is a big hitter? my head hurts 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Someone who will brow-beat you down. Voice your opinion and you’ll be ground down and give up.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Let's Talk About Bullying.’ is closed to new replies.