Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Lets see your projects, cuts, chops, conversions, welds etc
  • tommid
    Free Member

Not just your custom builds I want to see your conversions (M960s to Jones cranks) etc. What have you done to make your bike and parts that bit more niche?
    I think us MTBers have got slack with our personal touches, its common place in the fixy world (not that, that should be a blueprint).

Swalsey
    Free Member

I polished my cranks! And I’m painting some forks the old SID electric blue colour (2001) to match at the moment… work in progress:

I love getting pics of my GT out, but need better ones…

takisawa2

Thats my favourite bike colour scheme. Loved them Zaskars.

tazzymtb

built my own brakes from bits of xtr flappy paddle dual control shifters and re-machined straightline levers, lovely feel to them, they’ll kill me one day

made my own 29er u turn forks (70-100mm) out of bits of revelations and reba 29ers as shown on this fugly monster

they haven’t killed me yet either

at some point I expect to have a horrific bodging related disaster 🙂

takisawa2

I give you…Frankenbike.

21032010287 by pten2106, on Flickr

oxym0r0n

Not shown this for a while on here:

IMG_3566 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Polished cranks, frame has had cable stops removed, hanger removed and re-sprayed. Oh, and it’s running ProIIs and Martas now.

Stoner
    Free Member

A speedbone hacked for transfering torque from a rohloff to an on-one slotted drop out frame.

Ambrose

@ Takisawa- did the project go any further?

ajantom

Small fry compared to some of the above – but here’s my ‘Jones’ modded XTR cranks…..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is my new project (just arrived today), not proving very straightforward with all these new standards. In the good olde days you could just swap out all the kit from your other bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I made a headset. once

kiwijohn

Had my swingarm professionally bodged.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My god, are you entering that in Robot Wars extreme? 😀

kiwijohn

Next Mad Max movie.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s not a bike anymore, it’s a contraption.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Profile shot, I thank you.http://flic.kr/p/8F1TWY

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Sorry, technical fail. I made a nice bike though, honest.

kiwijohn

Well yeah, but it still works. In manner of speaking.

farm-boy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7G-F0DfGe8&feature=fvsr[/video]

messiah
    Free Member

Two bodges for the price of one 😀

Horizontal dropouts on a 95 Kona Explosif after the chainstay snapped.

Bodged 18t sprocket onto a Hope Splined disc hub to run as a flip/flop fixie/free.

richmars

Carbon bike I made a few years ago.

flamejob
    Free Member

@richmars – That is quality! Did it last?

Me –

University project excuse to make a bike; a loong time ago!

16_stand.jpg by Flamejob, on Flickr

And on Flameboy almost everything is home fettled…

Flameboy by Flamejob, on Flickr

richmars

@richmars – That is quality! Did it last?

Yes, but I don’t use it. Made for the ‘fun’ of learning how to do it.

takisawa2

@ Ambrose, slightly but now mothballed till I get more time.

Stoner, that’s a neat job and some clear pictures.
    I thought about buying an On One frame once and it was the difficulty of using a Rohloff with it that put me off.
    Isn’t there still a chance that the torque arm will move within that gap as it gets wider when the wheel is further back ?
    The torque reaction on a Rohloff goes both ways, depending on which gear it’s in.

flamejob
    Free Member

@richmars got any more photos – I’m fascinated. Did the bits come off an old Trek Y-Bike or something?
    [edit just found them 🙂 ]

Stoner
    Free Member

Graham – the torque bar will move very slightly up and down until it contacts the dropout plate. It’s a tiny movement and not at all noticeable. A bit of carbon paste or copper slip means there’s no sound either.

The On-one/Lynskey Ti drop out plate is beefy as hell so has no problem with the set up.

It makes for a lovely tidy set up. IMO.
    The reason I used this instead of a monkey bone was because i didnt want the expense of having to get a post mount caliper (which you need for a monkey bone) when I had a perfectly good IS XTR.

richmars

flamejob,
    All frame bit home made, bike assembled from old bit I had. Only bit I brought was the shock. The rear suspension is modelled on a Whyte.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

De-anodized and polished the Midge bars for my Peregrine:

Put a Gates Carbon Drive belt on my Kona A

firestarter
    Free Member

Just a little thing compared to above, fitted a cog to a six bolt to centerlock converter so I could run my centerlock wheels as a fixed free flip flop

“the torque bar will move very slightly up and down until it contacts the dropout plate”

Isn’t that a problem then ?
    Below 11th gear, the torque reaction on a Rohloff is in the opposite direction to the wheel. Above 11th gear it is the same way.
    I would have thought that as you went through the gears the torque bar would have taken up the slack, first one way, then the other, rotating on the single mounting bolt until it worked loose.
    If it’s working OK so far, then fair enough.

I had to modify my speedbone to fit a Chameleon, then a Gary Fisher Rig as the outer face of the caliper mounting is not flat.
    I’ll take some pictures next time I’ve got the bike at home.

Stoner
    Free Member

the mounting bolt threads into the frame, not the torque block. SO it can be threadlocked to the frame without binding the block and not precess.

the torque bar only changes direction as you cross the middle gear.

as I mention the movement is less than a mm if you file the torque block accurately enough.

james-o
    Free Member

firestarter, that fixed cog’s neat and simple, i like it.

tommid
    Free Member

My M960s arrived today ready for the Jones conversion.
    I had originally tried a set of polished m952s, but they were’nt pretty. Second time lucky..
    I will keep you posted as I get them done. I will be using ajantom’s as a template.
    Good work rickmars fantastic project, any more pic? I know a guy who built a carbon bike based around an inbred, all done in his kitchen.
    ir_bandito Love those midges. Did you just use some caustic soda and then polish?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@flamejob.

Your flameboy is truly stunning. Did you make the frame?

sc-xc

I chopped a Brooks B17 yesterday…but it’s on the fixed so doesn’t count.

flamejob
    Free Member

@Jef Wachowchow I scribbled the frame on AutoCAD and it was made by some Chinese people that are really good at making titanium things. All the components were sourced and polished by me (mainly nice old stuff, plus rohloff and Chris King). I also polished flames into the frame.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

@flamejob
    Yes, lovely bike, sir.

Here’s the modifications I made to a Speedbone so I could use a Rohloff on a Chameleon and a Gary Fisher Rig.

The problem is that the outer face of the caliper mounting is not flat, the bolts are recessed.

Picture 011 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

I hacksawed, drilled and Dremelled the aluminium away, then made two steel spacers to locate in the recessed bolt holes.

Picture 012 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Picture 013 by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Nothing special, but it may help someone else who’s faced with the same problem.

parkesie
    Free Member

3 wheeled death chariot

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your projects, cuts, chops, conversions, welds etc’ is closed to new replies.