Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lets hear you internal routing anti-rattle tips
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

With full cable runs through the frame, do you suffer any rattling? I’ve just the zip ties left long trick and it seems to work.

I know someone who says they wrapped window weather seal around the cable housing.

I’m tempted to look for some foam tubes to use next time but struggling to find the best foam. Closed cell but pretty soft I guess.

Any other bright ideas?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve used sports tape before, worked a treat.

Marked which bit of the cable would be in the frame and just wrapped it.

nedrapier

onandon
    Free Member

onandon
    Free Member

Argh, by a few seconds 🙂

On a more serious tip. I’ve used the fluffy side of Velcro stuck to the cable outers.
    You can buy it cheap from eBay per meter or b&q or maplin if you need it fast.

wwaswas

This is what Ibis recommend:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3614/=175c903

part number 4339T1 on that page.

I keep meaning to find a uk supplier as I use the zip ties currently and they’re not perfect.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Both of those m nos are interestingly by. I’ve been looking for epdm tubing but it seems to be overly expensive stuff in the UK.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What gibberish did I type earlier?
    Anyway, I’m struggling to find a reasonably priced source of elem tubing in the UK. Any ideas?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The foam tube things that Specialized supply with the Epic frames work really well. Not sure if you can buy them separately though.
    I was speaking to someone at the weekend who was saying that his LBS had used expanding foam in the tubes to stop cables rattling on his new build.

juanghia
    Free Member

I was speaking to someone at the weekend who was saying that his LBS had used expanding foam in the tubes to stop cables rattling on his new build.

Name and Shame!

As above go to any Speshulized retailer and ask for some foamy offcuts as half of the foam they supply won’t actually fit in the frame.

weeksy

My foamy stuff arrived yesterday, it seems a bit too thick at the moment, but i won’t know until i try it as it does seem fairly squidgy happily. So i’ll whip the gear cable inner out and try that tonight.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I assume that’s a closed cell foam?

weeksy

I don’t know what a closed cell foam is. Do you mean whether it has a cut down its length? The answer is no to that.

I’m going to remove gear cable and slide down the length, first test is to see if i can get it in the frame hole.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant closed vs open. In a closed cell foam, the air pockets are sealed. In an open cell foam, they act like a sponge and can absorb water (and weight)

weeksy

Oh god knows mate.

Well it went in, kinda. But of squeezing, pushing etc and I’ve got the gear length done. Whether or not that fixes it, who knows. We’ll see

Onzadog
    Free Member

Glad to hear it’s in. Didn’t sound too dramatic.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

In my own experience, check it isnt your headset rattling….ahem…

SaxonRider

Can one of you explain how to use zip ties to reduce rattle? I get what I called ‘cable buzz’, and it drives me crazy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

You pull 3 zip ties tight around the housing pointing in different directions. The idea is, they help hold the cable centrally.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Weeksy, how are you getting on with the air conditioning hose?

weeksy

It seemed to improve but not 100% resolve. I think the issue was that i couldn’t thread it down the WHOLE length from one end. What i think i really need to do to completely fix it is do half and half, from the headtube end and also from the BB end. That should then cover 100% and resolve all the issues. Certainly no reason i can’t do it, it just means throwing another gear cable in there.
    I was going to wait until next month when i re-fit the front mech and shifter as that’s another cable so was going to do it all then.

If i were being brutally harsh, i’d say this particular hose isn’t perfect, it’s a bit too thick, but it’s very squidgy. I think one with a smaller external diameter would be better/easier to thread down the length.

I’ll give it 6/10 at this stage

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. It seems tricky to find anything quite like that McMaster-Carr stuff from the states.

That looked to have a very low density and a thin wall.

weeksy

Still doesn’t bloody work. Went to Afan… still cable rattle.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I did this for a brake hose but it might work for a cable… I pulled the hose taut where it enters the downtube, then put a small cable tie on tight to stop the hose slipping back down inside. Then put a tiny drop of superglue on the cable tie to stop that slipping on the hose. Works perfectly.

ransos
    Free Member

Zip tie worked for me.

slackboy

wwaswas

slackboy – how do you get that inside the downtube?

Rich
    Free Member

It’s used to route the cables externally.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Long, thick zip ties. It’s not hard.

Not needed on current bike thankfully, as it has a cable ‘lasso’ point on the downtube.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t convinced that zip ties were doing a good enough job. I’ve switched to air conditioning hose over the weekend so let’s see how that goes.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I had some pipe lagging/air con pipe on my last bike which worked well but was a fiddle and took a bit of trail and error to get right.

Latest build just has internal routing for the reverb so used electrical tape to wrap it together with the rear brake hose from the lever to where it enters the frame, hose is pulled tight at the seat post end so have no rattling at all as it is secured at both end.

Easiest solution Ive found so far by a long way and looks tidy too.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lets hear you internal routing anti-rattle tips’ is closed to new replies.