Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lets hear it for dry dusty trails – woohoo!
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Last nights ride out of Hawkshead featured dry dusty trails and it was an absolute hoot. On the rocks roots and trails generally where previously their had been none there was grip! As a bonus it was light late, perfect tempreture, stunning views, trails all to ourselves and decent beer afterwards!

Roll on summer :mrgreen:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah you can use roots as little kickers, instead of them being crash magnets.

D0NK

I am desperatley in love with dry dusty trails.
    riding on firm grippy trails is about 200% easier, faster and more fun than winter slop.

woohoo indeed.

winterfold
    Free Member

Now I have adapted to the different lines and commitment needed with my faster summer tyres I am similarly joyous (only been doing this since Nov).

i had some coaching on my local trails recently. “As these trails dry out, you’ll need to change your lines” she said. I wasnt sure what she meant at the time, but as I picked myself up out of the ditch and wiped the blood from my nose last Weds night after chronic understeer I got it.

Thanks to jedi I know that is because I am kinaesthetic (?), words mean nothing, learning has to be felt, which means crashes…

Definitely makes roots a lot more fun.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got my MTB over to Germany. And it’s thunderstorms all week!

They are the hot summery kind tho so not all bad 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Hate posts like this since tearing my calf muscle 3 weeks ago, have missed all the fun of dry trails, am missing the dyfi at the weekend that will be even betterer than normal with the dry weather, should be back on the bike ready for the normal MM rain 😥

cheez0
    Free Member

Load of bollox, lets hear it for muddy and slippy conditions!

Bring on the winter!

busydog
    Free Member

Geographic/weather perspective is interesting and so varied. Here in the desert southwest in the US, we hope for some rain to get rid of the dust—-which firms up the trails with a damp pack that provides much better grip than the loose sand/dust. Tree roots are another story, like buzz-lightyear said, when wet are crash magnets. The best riding here is the morning after an evening thunderstorm.

GW
    Free Member

woo hoo.. been dry and dusty here for 3 weeks so far 😀

cheez0 – I love wet and slippy too (ooh-er?) proper dusty trails can be nice and slippy too, and wet muddy roots still kickers.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I BLOODY LOVE IT!!!

I only skid my tyres on purpose in the dry as it doesn’t damage, which put together with super smooth fast singletrack has refreshed the muddy slogs near me.

cheez0
    Free Member

wind-blown dust clouds caused by wheel skidding/ spinning in the dry causes more erosion than a good set of mud tyres that leave imprints only and dont pick up in muddy conditions.

Discuss!

(lights environmental fuse and stands back):-)

_tom_
    Free Member

I love seeing a rider being followed by their own dust trail, looks awesome! Can’t wait to ride tomorrow 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

The local trails up here are the driest I have known them in the last 3 years and it is great!

Went out last night and the ride felt so much more flowing and fun.

I am going to make the most of them though as I know is never that far away from here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lets hear it for dry dusty trails – woohoo!’ is closed to new replies.