Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Let's have your… favourite quotes.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Starter for ten:

"Never try to keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level, it's cheaper."

Quentin Crisp.

amplebrew

"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing!" David Jefferies 1972-2003

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

"Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx

Drac

"What the @#$% was that?"
    – Mayor of Hiroshima, 1945

RustySpanner

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ."
    Last words of Dylan Thomas, before collapsing at a New York bar.

Karinofnine

"Son, your body's writing cheques your ego can't cash" Stinger Top Gun 1986

or

"Be excellent to each other" Bill S Preston and Theodore Ted Logan 1989

amplebrew

I did not achieve this position in life by having some snot-nosed punk leave my cheese out in the wind. Ed Rooney

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller

donsimon
    Free Member

What will I do with all the time I have saved? Ludovic Kennedy

mrchrispy

"I may look daft but at least I can go and get changed….you'll still be a fat **** later"

me to the fat bloke at work that sniggers at me every morning when I arrive in my bike kit.

RustySpanner

"If I had a good quote I'd be wearing it".
    Bob Dylan.

Lionheart
    Free Member

"Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia " ~ H.G. Wells
    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen
    few more latet…

iDave
    Free Member

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what you risk reveals what you value

Jeanette Winterson

donsimon
    Free Member

"To alcohol! The cause of… and solution to… all of life's problems" Homer Simpson.

skidartist
    Free Member

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Lionheart
    Free Member

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly

eth3er
    Free Member

In Africa we say god gave the white man a watch and gave the black man time.

This is our excuse for relaxed time keeping.

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    Albert Einstein

seven
    Free Member

A mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open – Frank Zappa

highclimber
    Free Member

I have spent most of my money on drugs, women and alcohol; the rest I wasted! OWTTE

George Best
    R.I.P

epicsteve
    Free Member

Appropriate for some on here:

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Winston Churchill

highclimber
    Free Member

One for the climbers out there:

I'm looking for the cleanest line on the steepest face

And

…This was back in the 60's when sex was safe and climbing was dangerous.

Yvonne Chouinard.

borwens
    Free Member

When in doubt, run it out! Cause of many glorious failures………..

saleem
    Free Member

There's no I in TEAM but there's 2 U's YOU CU**, Which HR kindly asked me to take down. 😯

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

Christopher Hitchens

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

" I'm completely against animal testing. They get all nervous and give the wrong answers "
    Stephen Fry

deluded
    Free Member

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.” – Richard Dawkins.

"The president of the United States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. If he said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ridiculous or offensive." — Sam Harris (Letter to a Christian Nation)

“What need is there to weep over parts of life … the whole of it calls for tears – Lucius Annaeus Seneca

sor
    Free Member

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

gecko76

Do what you can with what you have where you are.

Roosevelt I think.

sc-xc

Yes – my name is Igglepiggle,
    Igglepiggle, wiggle, niggle, diggle!

Yes – my name is Igglepiggle,
    Igglepiggle, niggle, wiggle, woo!

– Igglepiggle, 2010

deluded
    Free Member

My favorite Hitchens quote –

“Islam makes very large claims for itself. In its art, there is a prejudice against representing the human form at all. The prohibition on picturing the prophet – who was only another male mammal – is apparently absolute. So is the prohibition on pork or alcohol or, in some Muslim societies, music or dancing. Very well then, let a good Muslim abstain rigorously from all these. But if he claims the right to make me abstain as well, he offers the clearest possible warning and proof of an aggressive intent.”

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" -Douglas Bader

Bing
    Free Member

"£238.00" Go Compare

highclimber
    Free Member

Surely the ultimately quotable person has to be the genius that is Douglas Adams with pearls such as:

"In the beginning the universe was created, this made a lot of people angry and was considered by many as a bad move"

willej

"That was uglier than a lion raping a sheep"

– Rob Warner, from today's Freecaster world cup downhill coverage.

IanMunro
    Free Member

In this life you can be oh-so-smart or oh-so-pleasant, For years I was smart; I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

straight from my facebook page:

"Capitalism is organised crime, and we are all its victims." – The Refused, The Shape of Punk to Come

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." – Albert Einstein.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" – Gandhi.

"How does it make you feel, to take a life in just one meal?" – The Vandals.

"I thought of that while riding my bike" – Albert Einstein (on the theory of relativity.)

"“When we look at modern man, we have to face the fact that modern man suffers from a kind of poverty of the spirit, which stands in glaring contrast with a scientific and technological abundance. We've learned to fly the air as birds, we've learned to swim the seas as fish, yet we haven't learned to walk the Earth as brothers and sisters.” – Martin Luther King

trail_rat
    Free Member

"No one ever died of tired legs" Lance Armstrong

toys19
    Free Member

I thought it was good practise to back up what you say with evidence, otherwise you could spout any old nonsense.

Someone on here I cannot remember who it was but its become my tagline.

As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it

Einstein

ton

'God is good'……….a friend from the past.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Let's have your… favourite quotes.’ is closed to new replies.