Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • L'Etape du Tour
  • Robz
    Free Member

Having fairly recently transitioned from downhiller to roadie I find myself seeking out ever increasingly more difficult road based challenges to keep myself motivated (in addition to mountain biking…occasionally)

Last year I did a few 100 mile sportives, including the 3 pistes, but I’ve just gone and committed to doing next year’s L’etape du tour which, looking at the route profile, might be the end of me.

Anyone else doing it? And any advice on how I go about surviving it?

4000m+of climbing has me a bit concerned.

I have procured a smart trainer and Trainer Road app to see me through the dark winter months. Been using it for a few weeks now and really enjoying it. Any other tips appreciated. I aim to drop 10kgs by July to help with all the climbing. Currently weigh 93kg.

Also, does anyone know if I will be ok on my disc brake equipped bike? The website just refers me to the French cycling federation and my French ain’t that good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

See @Weeksy’s ZWIFT thread

Start following Haute Route in FB or at hauteroute.org for future challenges

The etape is way beyond me but I’ve many mates who done one finishing anywhere from towards the top to very much the latern rouge. Bottom line is its “do-able” for mere mortals

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I did an Etape many years ago. This site was a great help with the preparation.

etape.org.uk

beej

You’ll be fine, dropping weight will help, just keep your training consistent, make sure you have some recovery in there too.

4000m climbing in mountains is very different to 4000m climbing in the UK.

In the mountains it’s ride slowly uphill for 90 mins, descend for 30. Repeat.

Do some big gear/low cadence work – get comfortable at 60-70 rpm as you’ll probably be climbing at about that in your lowest gear.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Anyone else doing it? And any advice on how I go about surviving it?

Get yourself to the point where you can pedal at the upper end of tempo for an hour-hour and a half. Tempo is a pace that’s “comfortably uncomfortable” i.e. feels easy o start with but after 30 mins or so requires concentration to stick to. That’s the pace you should climb at. Any more any you’ll cook yourself.

Also think about going for an 11-32 rear cassette to make sure you have low enough gearing to ride at the above pace even on a 10% gradient.

speedstar

Hi Robz,

I did it this year and doing it again next year with a group of friends. Everything stated above is correct and you really need to be able to put in that 150-160bpm stuff (or mostly just under threshold power) for 90 minutes or so. Looking at the mountains next year, i’m not sure it will be quite as brutal as this year’s although it’s still a huge amount of climbing. I would say the most important thing is to learn to hydrate and get food in you early and use proper electrolyte-based drinks.

The last 1/3 of the route was just bodies everywhere, people hiding under trees, collapsed, voming. There was a single reason for this: the heat. To beat that requires you to both be fit enough to do the course, which is all about the hills and total time on the bike as you get huge breaks on the downs, plus properly hydrating ie. 1 750ml bottle or so depending on your body weight of electrolyte fluid per hour. Plus the snacks they provide are a bit useless for electrolytes apart from the bananas, consisting mostly of purely sugary things, so I would definitely recommend supplementing your own gels into the mix as they will also give you electrolytes and sugar in an easily digestible format.

Don’t want to sound like i’m forecasting doom either as the elation on reaching the end was incredible! But I almost collapsed on the way down from the col d’Izoard and had to stop for 15 minutes and drink a lot of fluid, despite having already finished the thing! Entirely doable with good training and practicing nutrition but huge numbers of people didn’t finish and their disappointment was obvious. PM me if you want to discuss anything further.

Personally I am trying to mix up Enduro riding and road riding so I know how it is. I’m ending up a bit divided between road and mtb each week as there is some cross-over but entirely different types of intensity. But sod it, they are both keeping me fit which is supposedly why I do it 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you got a group of closely spaced, Strava categorised hills in your local vicinity?

If so, start doing rides that string a load of them together.

The South Downs in Hampshire are littered in cat4 climbs and at least one true cat3 hill (Bell Hill in Petersfield up to around the Warren Lane junction), which are great, but they have nothing on cat 2/1/HC climbs that I have yet to ever encounter and you will have at the Etape.

I randomly linked a couple of handfuls of them together on Friday, taken at a steady pace and with at least two breaks, as it was my first ride up there since contracting the lurgy in September. New elevation and milage PBs for me, but the route would need extending on both accounts to decently prepare for the Etape. https://www.strava.com/activities/1249390435

boondock

I’ve done it twice and used Trainer Road heavily to build fitness. The first time (2014] had no kids and an abundance of time to train, did it again this year and with 2 1/2 year old and a heavily pregnant partner my training time was a lot less. Still finished it, but it was easily the most difficult bike thing I’ve done. My advice would be to get as many 100 milers in as you can – endurance is the key, this is where I failed this year.

Robz
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses and offers of help everyone. Some really useful links and advice there.

I would say the most important thing is to learn to hydrate and get food in you early and use proper electrolyte-based drinks. Thanks

Yes. This and the potential heat worry me. I am very conscious of the importance of eating and drinking enough as I bonked hard on my first 100miler but have been ok since. I just get sick of eating sweet things. I take it there’s no savoury carbs on the feed stations?

Also think about going for an 11-32 rear cassette to make sure you have low enough gearing

I did this for the 3 pistes Sportive and it’s still on my bike. I got too used to having that 34-32 gear

Re proximity to hills. I live in Aberdeen so not far from The Lecht, Glenshee, Cairn o Mount etc. I envisage that I will be spending a lot of time in such places come the spring cycling up and down these hills repeatedly.

variflex
    Free Member

As above (speedstar), the heat can be a major problem along with hydration and fueling. Ive done it twice. Didnt finish in 2015 due to passing out with heat exhaustion. This year I purposefully didnt go all out and took my time and used a power meter on the hills. I finished it with plenty left in the legs but again the heat and the fact I couldnt physically manage to eat anything for the last 30kms (the hardest) caused the biggest problem. Its not always super hot as its rained on a couple before which adds another dimension especially on the downhills.

The food stops are pretty useless so take enough gels and food that wont go all mushy in the heat with you. Saddle bag or frame bag for spares and food in jersey. 2 x bottles and if you can take your own tabs do that (space dependent). 11×32 worth considering as it really helps on the long and steep 8+% plus climbs for 10km+

Dont assume you will get a rest on the downhills. Although your legs do, your concentration and other parts of your body really suffer on 10km+ descents. Also time in saddle is 8+ hours depending.

2018 route looks better than both this year and 2015. Wish I had done 2016 as they took a climb out at the last minute and was pretty straight forward by all accounts.

Also try and remember to look around and take in the atmosphere as its very easy to end up in an almost catatonic state staring at the road and those around you just to finish.

It will be one of the toughest things you will have done on a bike, but well worth it for the atmosphere, views (route depending) and climbs.

Both times Ive gone down we have tanked it down by car on the Friday and then straight back on the Monday morning which in a way I wish I hadnt done (all too rushed). If you get the chance go out earlier and do at least a long climb before the big day to acclimatize especially if hot. Perhaps take in the tour that will no doubt be relatively close by.

Good Luck 🙂

variflex
    Free Member

oops double post

Sandwich

A couple of trips to the lakes for 4 seasons Fred Whitton would be useful towards the end of the training. That’s 4km of climbing on some reasonably steep roads (haha!) It’s a grand day out and a trial I should think in bad weather.

redmist
    Free Member

Some great advice here. I did this year’s and loved it so am signed up again for next year. I would recommend getting a power meter and using this to push up your ftp over the preceding months while getting used to putting in some distance into the legs. Then use your power numbers to keep yourself under control during the etape itself-you will feel invincible on the first climb but just stick to sensible numbers so you don’t overcook it. similarly don’t try to follow all the quick groups and stay away from poorly organised groups full of braking, accelerating and changes in pace. I was much more comfortable in small groups or even solo sticking at a constant steady pace. I was still broken by the top of the izoard though!

Robz
    Free Member

A power meter is definitely on the cards – probably the new Garmin Vector 3 pedals – have been training using the power readings on the smart trainer and have made excellent progress already.

I can see how knowing your zones etc would be very useful pacing a long and hard ride.

I am planning to do a bunch of climby sportives and the three day tour of the highlands in May so that should be a good build up.

i will be staying in Annecy for the weekend before heading to Provence for more roadie action then on to morzine to see friends and ride the big bike so should be well rested before the big day.

Once again, some really helpful advice here. It is much appreciated

ransos
    Free Member

Lose weight, ride lots, fit low gears. I got round La Marmotte on that basis, which has 5000m climbing IIRC. I echo the comments about hydration.

The one thing I would consider doing differently next time is to enter a few 25 mile time trials. I reckon a big effort for an hour is a good simulation of climbing in the Alps. Much better than climbing any of our hills, anyway.

A proper ramp test at my LBS was invaluable for dialling in my training zones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘L'Etape du Tour’ is closed to new replies.