Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Let us not FORGET, today August 9 1945
  • project
    Free Member

America dropped the “fat man” nuclear bomb on Nagasaki, 74,000 killed many more died in agony later or suffered serious life changing injuries, and today we have 2 powerful men threatening to do the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/9/newsid_3580000/3580143.stm

History repeating itself………….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

History repeating itself……..

The situations are rather different.

Cougar

Except, it’s not.

North Korea has made a career out of sabre rattling. They issue idle threats externally all the time, and internally their country is told how Great And Powerful they are reinforced by a media blackout.

If NK launch an attack on the US, a) I’ll eat my own shoes and b) they’ll be a smoking crater inside of 15 minutes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If NK launch an attack on the US, a) I’ll eat my own shoes and b) they’ll be a smoking crater inside of 15 minutes.

This. & that’s without US nukes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Enola Gay dropped the first one on the 6th

North Korea needs sorting out, there simply is no “do nothing” option. Leaders like Obama have just tried to ignore the problem whilst they get closer to offensive nuclear weapons.

Cougar I agree NK won’t launch an attack – yet – the US could well move first and arguably should do.

igm

Suggestions?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, and it is a serious question – I just can’t think exactly what should be done.
    I mean there are already sanctions, so that’s not it. So what then?

Edit – I see your suggestion. I’m going to suggest you’re wrong. First strike – bad idea.

jimjam
    Free Member

jambalaya

North Korea needs sorting out, there simply is no “do nothing” option.

Yes there is. It’s called the do nothing option. It’s the only option that might not result in millions of deaths.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

North Korea needs sorting out,

Well Kim Jong Wotsit needs sorting out that’s for sure. But so does Trump.
    Both cranks of the highest order.

ferrals
    Free Member

dance off, old school rules?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hardly fair when Kim won the internet with that gangnam thing a couple of years ago.

ton

am i the only person who thinks trump is more dangerous than kim?

mattyfez

Trumps probably thin skinned enough to take him seriously.

jimjam
    Free Member

ton – Member

am i the only person who thinks trump is more dangerous than kim?

If you had to choose between living in the U.S or North Korea, which would you pick?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hardly fair when Kim won the internet with that gangnam thing a couple of years ago.

gordimhor

What does “sorting out”mean Jambalaya ?

ton

If you had to choose between living in the U.S or North Korea, which would you pick?

irrelevant.

project
    Free Member

If either shoots a bomb,tv news channels will have a field day, wonder which one will be the first to send a news crew to the site, then realise to late its to late.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    arguably should do.

What should they do?

mattyfez

Trump has really painted himself into a corner with this one.

Thing is, he’s painted a lot of others into the corner too. That’s his thing.

igm

Gordimhor

Cougar I agree NK won’t launch an attack – yet – the US could well move first and arguably should do.

I assume he means first strike.

jam-bo

I think trump is less likely to bomb the US than North Korea but I’m not 100% sure 8)

jimjam
    Free Member

ton

irrelevant. [/quote]

Hardly. You can theorize all you want about how Trump might be more dangerous than Kim Jong Un, but the reality is Kim Jong Un is a mass murderer, part of a brutal regime that kills, imprisons and enslaves millions of North Koreans. The people under him are living in a brutal, tyrannical, paranoid military dictatorship.

People living under Trump, well they live in America.

km79
    Free Member

As in most of these cases the ones shouting that something will be done or needs to be done never really volunteer for a bit of action come the event.

maxtorque

Of course there is a “do nothing” option!

In fact, that’s the option which enabled the cold war to end in peace, rather than pieces…..

The West will always have a sufficient Nuclear Arsenal to completely flatten NK, and NK knows it. Even if they develop their Nuclear Tech and methods of launching it, they cannot actually ever use it. It’s called Detente or MAD, which ever you favour. Ultimately NK are a small country on their own in the world, a Nuclear strike by them on any foreign power would open the door for a similar Nuclear retaliation by any number of foreign powers, or agents for those powers (ie NATO etc)

mattyfez

A nuclear strike on NK would also cause massive death and disruption to NK’s neighbours, our allies.

It’s utter madness, if America bombs NK, the best EU response would be to bomb the USA.

Mutually assured destruction, I think is the correct term.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Back on subject, at the time they did what they had too do, projected losses for an Allied (American) invasion of mainland Japan were horrific. They hoped one bomb would be enough but the Japanese military wanted a fight to the death. Even after the second bomb some of them wanted to carry on.

cranberry
    Free Member

Sometimes a regime is so wicked that it needs to be stopped, even when the price is high:

Unit 731

Although, of course, some would condemn both sides equally, those Sihk soldiers tying their hands behind their backs, placing target numbers beside themselves and accidentally sitting in front of the Japaense soldiers and those Japanese soldiers that organised the use of human beings for target practise.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s the one Grandmaster Flash.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cranberry – Member
    even when the price is high:

What price is acceptable to stop NK?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Yes there is. It’s called the do nothing option. It’s the only option that might not result in millions of deaths.

This.

It’s not ideal, but it’s worked for 50 years, being able to land a nuke on the USA isn’t *that* big a change to the status quo. a) NK are already able to wipe out millions with the kit they already have. b) NK won’t do it.

As always the Atlantic explains it all:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/528717/

gordimhor

I get that IGM it’s just that “sorting out” seems such a neat and tidy glib phrase.
    What it would actually be is theunleashing the most destructive weapon ever on civilians with immediate catastrophic results.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Back on subject, at the time they did what they had too do, projected losses for an Allied (American) invasion of mainland Japan were horrific.

This. Never mind casualties invading the mainland, Allied and local civilian deaths taking medium sized Pacific islands were immense. 50,000 lives to end it was cheap and saved a large multiple of 50,000 Japanese lives, let alone Allied.

Let’s not forget we killed 30,000 French Civilians bombing France in the run up to D-Day! …and that didn’t even end the war it just got Troops on the Beach.

wilburt
    Free Member

No North Korean has ever tried to kill me. Whilst Transit van, First Bus and BMW drivers do on a daily basis. Can we go to war with them first please

(I’m presuming North Koreans don’t drive buses in Suffolk btw).

igm

No they wouldn’t be north Koreans that far south Wilburt

Sandwich

People living under Trump, well they live in America.

Neither they are as bad as each other. The US is fast becoming a totalitarian state where the populace are dangerously ignorant of the outside world. Here’s a bit of a read by an American journalist for some perspective.

Cletus

Of course there is a “do nothing” option!

In fact, that’s the option which enabled the cold war to end in peace, rather than pieces…..

The West will always have a sufficient Nuclear Arsenal to completely flatten NK, and NK knows it. Even if they develop their Nuclear Tech and methods of launching it, they cannot actually ever use it. It’s called Detente or MAD, which ever you favour. Ultimately NK are a small country on their own in the world, a Nuclear strike by them on any foreign power would open the door for a similar Nuclear retaliation by any number of foreign powers, or agents for those powers (ie NATO etc)

Does this not rely on common sense and concern for the citizens that they govern on the part of the leadership?

I can envisage various scenarios where MAD would not restrain the NK leadership

funkmasterp

I think we should all just sit back and watch Pulgasari directed by Kim Sr with the aid of a kidnapped film director.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OpC_1HwCjRE[/video]

jam-bo

It wouldn’t be a ‘MAD’ scenario as NK couldn’t destroy the US.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

sit back, ride your bikes, relax, nothing will happen.

leeerm
    Free Member

Kim and Donald should settle things with a Stanley knife fight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Let us not FORGET, today August 9 1945’ is closed to new replies.