Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Less pressure = less grip ?
  • lagerfanny
    Free Member

I'm running Nobby Nic's 2.25 and am finding a narrow window of how they work best, like 3 or 4 psi each side of the ideal grip for me for the given conditions.

So lets say I was running 30 F / 35 R in the summer over rough dry ground, then 25 F / 30 R in the wetter months & reduced again to 20 F / 25 R in muddy conditions, have you found less grip with reduced pressures and increased them again ?

I know everyone's different with weight, bike, & tyres but interested what works for you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nobby nics are a bit crap really, as they have very thin side walls and need a good pressure to stop them folding over. I had to run 45psi im mine before I got shot of them, when I run about 30psi in most other tyres…..

rolfharris
    Free Member

I found nobby nics to be the best all round tyre by a very long way- they were very good in the mud without being slow and nasty in the dry yet still grippy. I ran 35-40psi just because that's what sounds right in my head and never noticed any difference, though.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Mmmmmm…… I have some Nic's with 'Double Defence' sidewalls which I save to use at rocky centres and found more grip at lower pressures than my standard Nic's so your right about the flimsy side wall.

nickc

I run my Nobby Nics at about 25 ish on the front and about 30 ish at the back. These are UST though.

Nobby nics are a bit crap really

Mine are lovely, thanks. Which just goes to show how subjective tyre choice is…

grumm
    Free Member

Nobby Nics at 40 PSI?

:shudders:

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine are lovely, thanks. Which just goes to show how subjective tyre choice is…

Oh the grip and comfort is fine, but they just fold off the rim on the rear all the time when I use them, so I got shot of them. Just too lightweight for me. 🙂 I'm a Bontrager or Kenda man myself….

rolfharris
    Free Member

Bontrager- now there are some crap tyres.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X are blooming brill tyres on mud & roots.

Funny how our opinions differ, ain't life great !

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Got some standard nobby nics on stans 355 running tubeless, pressure about 32 psi, im 75 kg and batter through everything.

They are the "tits" (awesome) 😛

grumm
    Free Member

I really rate Bontrager tyres. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Mud and roots in warwick? Towpath and tarmac u mean?, that said the crossmarks worked well on Sunday through the warwickshire gloop

pinches
    Free Member

running my front nic at 40psi no issues thus far!

Wiksey
    Free Member

As mentioned above tyre choice is very subjective at the best of times and there are too many variables (riding style, rider weight, trail surface, tyre pressure, rim width) involved to get a good recomendation without doing lots of tedious & expensive research.
    For what it's worth I use Conti Vert/Vapor (F/R) at just under 40psi and works pretty well for me in Lakes/Dales

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought it was less pressure = more grip …

hilldodger
    Free Member

…but they just fold off the rim on the rear all the time when I use them….

?? weight related tyre issues ??
    😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

?? weight related tyre issues ??

Yep, partly. And cornering speed related. But mostly tyre sidewall related…..

Don't get it with Bonty Jones ACXs, Mud Xs, Kenda Small Block 8s, Nevegals, WTB Moto Rapters, Panaracer Cinders or Fires, so it MUST be that particular tyre and me that don't get on…. 🙂

Like I said though, in a straight line, very good. But cornering? Nope.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Less pressure = less grip ?’ is closed to new replies.