Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Lent a so called mate my pride and joy hoping to get it back……….
  • postierich
    Free Member

as he picked it up as he assured me, but I returned from the trails to find it hosed down but dryed streaky mud all over the thing.Failed to lube and generally looking tatty.
    Now I lent my bike as his"special bike" was without brakes and he said he would even give up an hour riding time to help the guys @ Chasetrails, the trails that he abuses week after week.He failed to turn up @ a rendevous this morning as he basically did not want to get his hands dirty.Pretty peeved @ him especially when he was billy no mates last night and he dragged me kicking and screaming to the dodgyest pub in Lichfield.

Annoyed and I feel as though my bike has been raped!

Shame on you RB

ton

you want me to pay him a visit………… 😉

postierich
    Free Member

Jesus He looks remarkably like that chap!!!

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

never lend your bike, never.

DickBarton

Stop getting so worked up over a dirty bike…gives you something to do next time you decide to take time off work (whilst plotting how to reap revenge on his lazy @rsed soul!).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There's not a hope in hell of anyone on the planet getting a lend of my bike. In fact it would have to be like that film with Demi Moore & wotsisname in. Even then I'd be jealous. Rather lend our lass out.

pitduck
    Free Member

ooo is`nt ton scary 😆

slimtubing
    Free Member

jeez some folks are a bit precious, I often lend my bike out to one of my riding chums who is currently bikeless and going thru a rough period re: girlfriends/ jobs. would like to think he'd do the same. its just a bleedin' machine!

stratobiker
    Free Member

I lent my bike to a riding buddy.
    It came back spotlessly clean, and was accompanied by a box of beers.

Shame on your so called mate.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am with slimtubing on this – its only a bike. Get real and stop being so precious

mieszko
    Free Member

I would only lend my bike to two mates that I know would return it in the same state. However I would probably lend my road commuter to couple more friends if asked as it's only a bike but my "special" (I only have two bikes anyway) bike did cost a bit more and it's mine and it's perfect and I did choose all the components and installed them with my own hands 🙂 I'm with Postierich on this one. It might be only a bike but it's my bike plus if You do someone a favour and lend Your good bike and not a rusty old pub bike than it would be nice if it was returned clean or in the same state as it was lent out.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It might only be a bike but it is the principle of the thing isn't it? So you chaps are quite happy to lend your bikes out and feel quite fine about it coming back in a worse state than it went out?

Can I borrow one of your bikes then for my next filthy ride please? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I lent my bike to a riding buddy.
    It came back spotlessly clean, and was accompanied by a box of beers.

Shame on your so called mate.

Seconded. If someone lent me a bike, that's what I'd do too. IMO that's just good form.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is this going to follow in the beautiful tradition of these things with the supposed "mate" posting in outrage at this slander and everyone turning on Rich? That would make a very entertaining morning. 🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

As Peterpoddy says, it is just good manners, outmoded concept thought that may be nowadays.

stumpy01

I'd have thought a decent clean & relube would have been the polite thing to do – with possibly a 6-pack thrown in for good measure.

granny_ring

If I had some mates I'd lend them one of my bikes 😀

kinda666
    Free Member

Was it sammies Rich??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I had some mates I'd lend them one of my bikes

If you've got a nice bike, can I be your mate? 🙂

takisawa2

the dodgyest pub in Lichfield

You went to The Anglesey then…

The Queens Head, now that's well dodgy.
    Real seedy part of town. 😉

robgarrioch

I'd guarantee any bike borrowed by me would be returned cleaner than when received.

But I do have a cleaning fetish… oooo, muddy bikes! (rubs knees a la Vic Reeves…)

chakaping
    Free Member

I feel cheated by that Telegraph headline. The man didn't have sex with his bike in court at all!

And to the OP: It's only a bike. I'm not trying to be funny, but it's hardly a massive sin if the guy really is a friend. I think you're more out of order for making it public.

sv

Agree it should have been returned cleaned and lubed – at least!

granny_ring

They'd be too small for you PP 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

+ 1 with strato & poddy – its just good form to clean the bike & say thanks with a few beers.

njee20
    Free Member

I leant my Epic to a friend for a race, it returned absolutely spotless, I'd lend it to him again. Had it come back dirty (even if not abused), I'd be less inclined to lend it to him again. It's only decent!

Mattie_H
    Free Member

It's not precious to want something back in the same condition you lent it out. It just seems like good manners to me.

Olly
    Free Member

its only a bike. Get real and stop being so precious

have you met postie richs pride and joy?

not just a bike 😉
    its a sickeningly pretty bike.

if someone lent me a bike that was in crap condition, muddy, gears out of line, brakes dodgey, i wouldnt make a massive effort to clean it or look after it.
    if someone lent me a bike where every link had been cleaned, and the paint work had clearly been lovingly polished and protected in prep for the next ride when it got muddy, i would want to return it in the same condition, and would make an effort to do so.

if i had a bike returned to me in any other condition than equal to or better than when i lent it out, i would be miffed.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I don't think there's been a single week since September when i've not lent a bike to new riders in the club who either have just started and don't own a bike or haven't brought their bikes up yet.

If it gets people out I'm happy, and it's always me that cleans them. To be honest, I never thought of it being any other way- it's my bike, and I'd rather clean/oil it how I like myself.

postierich
    Free Member

Olly he did not borrow the SS he has not got the lungs or legs for it,and the dodgy pub was the Turnpike for you locals!

Clean it last night @ 9pm its now back to its gleaming best looks like he was dragging the rear brake big stylee so Rich H if your reading a 4 pack of beer and brake pads should mellow me out and not Superstar they were XTR orginals!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are so precious about your bike don't lend them out. That would appear to be the lesson here.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I am with the poster – bad form and any damage / wear to pads etc should be accounted for – beer / cash / sexual favours – that kinda thing…

shame on the guy who took it out !

paul

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I am with slimtubing on this – its only a bike. Get real and stop being so precious

Doesn't matter what it is, if you borrow something from someone you take care of it to the standard that they would, not the standard you would if it was your own. If it needs cleaning afterwards then you clean it, you don't just give it back dirty.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It's not that simple.
    I may have lent my F/S out but I'll never lend anyone my H/T! We go back too far you see.

Kit
    Free Member

I'm liking the fact that you're slagging a mate on the forum, instead of having a quiet word with him man-to-man. Good show 😉

wwaswas

I leant a freind my Chopper when I was a kid and he was going to ride around the woods an bring it back.

I waited int he park and he didn;t come back.

Ended up walking through the woods for half an hour before findign my bike abandoned by a tree.

I went home cursing him and vowing vengence on the next school day.

He didn;'t turn up. as he was in hospital in traction having badly broken his leg…

Speshpaul

"If you are so precious about your bike don't lend them out. That would appear to be the lesson here. "

No the lesson here seems to be never lend anything to anyone with the "get over it, its only a bike" attitude.

swiss01
    Free Member

it's a basic trust issue. i had a mate once i loaned a bike to, not my bike of the moment true, but a bike i'd spent time and care on. no hurry for it back i said. and got it back two or three months later rusted solid and needing a complete strip down. our mateship was never the same again.

gixer.john
    Free Member

I've let my mates borrow bikes off me if theirs are broken, or if they want to try one of mines. If it's summer or spring and we have had a day ride they usually wash the bikes while i'm making bacon and egg rolls, mugs of tea etc. If it's been a winter night ride, the bikes get lobbed in the garage and left for another day.
    I know any of them would return the favour if needed.
    I like my bikes, but mates are more valuable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Lent a so called mate my pride and joy hoping to get it back……….’ is closed to new replies.