Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • LEL – London Edingburgh London
  • greentricky
    Free Member

So who else is hoping to do this? I know a couple of people mentioned it in the plans for 2017 thread. I am hoping to but have to wait until the 20th to enter, apparently over 300 have already registered last night who were eligible for early entry.

For those not familiar:
    LEL about

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was going to, and still might, ask about this type of event, having watched the TCR video.

Where’s the enjoyment? Just looks **** hard!

How much do you sleep? I take it it’s all eating quickly too, no showers etc?

I feel I should give audaxing a go, but think I could hack that for a few days at most.

jobro
    Free Member

I feel I should give audaxing a go

Perhaps if its your first audax you might be better off trying something a little more conservative 🙂

Its another enjoyable variant in cycling. The best value cake to entry fee I can think of.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marvincooper

I was going to but have entered the Mille Pennines instead – 400km shorter but an awful lot hillier 🙂

greentricky
    Free Member

I was going to but have entered the Mille Pennines instead – 400km shorter but an awful lot hillier

Too much hills, my legs hurt thinking about it, had a big DNF rate last year didn’t it? You done it before?

marvincooper

Not done it before, 600 is my max to date. I know a chap who made it with 2 hours to spare, if he can do it then I should be able to but definately need to up the training!

MoreCashThanDash

I decided to skip it this time, having managed to fit in only one 100k audax in the whole of 2016!

I’ve ridden a couple of flatter 200k audax, and they were fine. Have my eye on doing a few of them this year, and stepping up to 300k next year. After that, 400k isn’t that big a jump – when my glass is half full, at least.

Anyone interested should try and track down any issues of Arrivee, the AUK magazine, which have articles on the last one. AUKs do like to ramble on about how horrific these events are. Sure I read somewhere that the guy who was first back to London in 2013 didn’t sleep till Thirsk on the return leg – but I’m not sure how he could do that without running ahead of control opening times?

Someone on here did it* last time and posted some great stuff about it, and had a blog. A search might find it

*Edit – it was ir-bandito, but I can’t find the actual thread – presumably buried about half way through his 200+ pages of threads!

johnnystorm

Permission granted, just waiting for the general entries to become available. Currently my first Audax is going to be the BCM. 😯

greentricky
    Free Member

BCM sold out before I thought about signing up for it, same as London Wales London annoyingly which I had written down to enter but somehow forgot. Thinking about doing the BCM route late June’ish for a practice as it looks a good route and not sure the other calender 600’s work for me calendar wise.

Chew
    Free Member

Permission granted, just waiting for the general entries to become available. Currently my first Audax is going to be the BCM.

Nothing like a gentle introduction 😉

marvincooper

I’m doing the BCM too, second time (did it in 2015). It’s a great ride, loads of food, nice route.

johnnystorm

Nothing like a gentle introduction 😉

…..and that’s nothing like, etc, etc! 😆

atrthanks
    Free Member

LEL was the first Audax I entered, but will be the 20th ridden.

(I got a place in the early entry last year. Also managed to grab a BCM place and to be honest I’m more worried about that one.)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

– it was ir-bandito

Indeed, twas I. First and only audax to date
    I’ll find the blog somewhere. But never again, means never again.
    I’m doing the Mega this year anyway, so no time.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ll be at the Thirsk control. Thinking about either:

Riding to London after my duties are done and train back. or Train down and ride up the night before.

Really is a great event.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Here you go:

LEL 2013

greentricky
    Free Member

@ir_bandito, good read, thanks for posting

takisawa2

Great read that. Bucket load of respect to you.

MoreCashThanDash

Forgot how great that blog was.

Feel slightly embarrassed that I have only managed to enter a 100k audax this weekend, but at least I’ve entered something!

cynic-al
    Free Member

That blog makes it sound enjoyable

fifeandy
    Free Member

200 miles a day for 4.5 days.
    Pretty damn hardcore, although at least its fairly flat.
    Tempting, but may be biting off more than i could chew.
    Not far home from Edinburgh though if i needed to bail out.

TiRed

Thinking about it… It’s on at a very good time for me. Will need to source a hub dynamo to charge garmin and run lights. I do like a nice night ride or few.

Will AUK rules apply for bikes – mudguards, specifically?

MoreCashThanDash

Mudguard rules vary on each event. Not as strict as it used to be, encouraged as a courtesy to other riders and cafe owners in wet weather.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Will AUK rules apply for bikes – mudguards, specifically?

Not that i am aware off, Very few events now require mudguards. But think seriously about it, Its a seriously long time in the saddle without worrying about a wet arse, also think about riding in groups, if you get others wet they won;t want to ride with you, So less help and company.

Both Paris Breast Paris and London Edinburgh London have become very laid back in the traditional rules.

Lots of people had support vehicles in the last PBP. For LEL there will be bag drops so if can run battery etc you can place them in your bag along with a change of clothing that will be sent to the relevant control. Or get a mate to follow you in a car charging your lights during the day.

I’m pretty sure it will all be signposted as well so you will only need a garmin to track. (Unless you get lost)

If your on Facebook the LEL2017 Facebook group is full of help and organisers/control staff regularly go on so can help with any advice.

scud
    Free Member

I’m looking to enter on the 20th when entries open definitely.

Bez

Once the kids are a bit older I’d like to get back into this stuff, but I always struggle to find LEL calling to me louder than PBP, given that it has British roads, British drivers, British weather and, worst of all, no kouign amann 🙂

I’ll read Bandito’s blog, though, see if that turns me…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Can anyone elaborate how riders are getting water resupplies?
    From most of the photo’s i’ve seen, most are only carrying 2x750ml (3hrs).
    Obviously no problem stocking up in more densely populated areas and during normal opening hours, but what about in more remote areas and late at night?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Can anyone elaborate how riders are getting water resupplies?

The control points are every 50 miles or so, so approx every 3 hours.
    At each one, there is water, food (LOTS of food), showers and beds. Can do two bag-drops to send kit ahead.

I’m pretty sure it will all be signposted

Its not. Route and gpx published in advance, the rest is up to you. There will be a few signs to guide you into control points, but not many.
    I pre-rode pretty much all of the course in various chunks so had a good idea what to expect.

Or get a mate to follow you in a car charging your lights during the day

Strictly not allowed. Although how they police it is anyone’s guess.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Or get a mate to follow you in a car charging your lights during the day

According to the website, it does seem to be allowed (sort of).
    Have to register the support vehicle in advance, which will then be allowed into some of the control points. Support crews will be given an alternate route between controls, and if caught on route rider will be disqualified.
    Of at least that’s how I read it.

The control points are every 50 miles or so, so approx every 3 hours.

Cheers. I realised there were plenty of controls, but hadn’t quite figured out they were that evenly spread.

MoreCashThanDash

The controls are run by volunteers, iirc the volunteers get priority entry for the next one. Quite fancied that if we weren’t already away that week. Would be a great way to see the workings of the event if you weren’t sure this year.

Edit – shame about allowing support cars. I appreciate it’s a long event but self sufficiency was one of the big things about audax, impossible to police but wouldn’t want the event to be undermined by semi supported riders.

atrthanks
    Free Member

There’s a control roughly every 80km, which should be fine with 1.5l of water.

I usually only use about 3l of water on a 200k ride. The first 1.5l goes quick but then I reach saturation point and only need a slow trickle to stay hydrated.

Plus you drink less at night when it’s cool.

nedrapier

Reminded by this thread, I’ve just entered my first Audax. 200km rather than 1400, but it’s a start! 😀

Good luck to all those going much, much further than me!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

For 2017 it is, £100 to register your car.

Its not. Route and gpx published in advance, the rest is up to you. There will be a few signs to guide you into control points, but not many.
    I pre-rode pretty much all of the course in various chunks so had a good idea what to expect.

I checked up on this and there will be signposting. although not the full route.

A lot has changed since the last one. In some ways i think its a shame, its different to old school addax, but on the other hand it really is opening it up to the new market of “adventure riders” and the more riders the better on an event of this scale.

For a lot of people also the ability to enter without a SR series of events, 200,300,400 and 600k certainly is bonus.

simondbarnes

For a lot of people also the ability to enter without a SR series of events, 200,300,400 and 600k certainly is bonus.

Blimey, hadn’t realised that it had been dumbed down like that.

And signposting? Does that make it a (long) sportive?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve looked into it and a quarter of the route will be signposted. So as ir_bandito said it will probably be run ins to controls. Route sheets and gps to get you about.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The fact it has been dumbed down a bit is certainly an appeal to me.
    No need to travel a long way to do qualifying events, guaranteed places to sleep, gpx files and signposting for irritating micro-navigation around control points.

Maybe it will devalue the event for some people, maybe it will lead to underprepared riders and higher rate of abandons, but for me it’s more a case of smoothing off the most unpleasant edges whilst still maintaining the guts of the challenge.

greentricky
    Free Member

I don’t think it ever required an SR for qualification like PBP did it?

MoreCashThanDash

Certainly 2013 didn’t need a SR series to prequalify.

Blimey, hadn’t realised that it had been dumbed down like that.
    And signposting? Does that make it a (long) sportive?

I’m only a beginner at audax, but I can see why people are saying stuff like this. I can understand encouraging more people to try events, but it would lose part of its appeal if it became too “sportive-y”. Difficult balancing act to get right for organisers.

Bez

I can’t help but notice the apparent correlation between the lack of qualification and the permission of support cars.

I can understand encouraging more people to try events, but it would lose part of its appeal if it became too “sportive-y”.

Hmm. I can understand encouraging more people to try events that are within their reach. I’m not convinced it would be a fantastic idea to encourage people to do a 1400 if they hadn’t at least done a 600. (And if you can do a 600, the 200 and 300 at least are easy to knock out anyway).

That said, I’ve remembered that a while back I planned out a rather splendid route to do a full SR in one hit, so I’m sticking with that as my goal* 🙂

* goal, pipedream, whatever

fifeandy
    Free Member

2 days to go until entries open and i’m still dithering.

Has anyone any advice regarding logistics to/from the start/finish?
    Don’t particularly fancy a train journey down and a day in London (for registration) in my cycling kit, and fancy the return journey in week old sweaty kit even less.

Guess in theory non-cycling clothes could be placed in one of the 2 drop bags and spend its time in transit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘LEL – London Edingburgh London’ is closed to new replies.