Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LEJOG route
  • flange
    Free Member

After a bit of advice,

I’m planning on doing the LEJOG route in September this year. The plan is 5 days (!).

Just wondering if anyone has any route plans. I’m more interested in shortest route rather than ‘scenic’ – so as long as its not an M-road I’m not too fussed. I’ll be staying in Hotels/B&B’s and carrying everything I need on the bike. No support crew, just me, my bike and LOTS of miles…..

Any tips/ideas/route plans much appreciated…

mikehow
    Free Member

Simple answer. You’ll be in for a very boring 5 days sticking mainly to the fastest roads. Enjoy!

Best days of my Lejog were going through quiet back roads, and across to Arran. Still managed it in 6 days pushing out some reasonable miles.

I took a Carradice Long Flap saddle bag which worked really well and was the only bit of luggage I carried.

nick3216
    Free Member

A30 to Okehampton

cross country to Bristol.

A49 to Preston.

A6 to Carlisle

A7 or Eskdalemuir to Edinburgh

A9 the rest of the way

circa 860 miles

thomthumb
    Free Member

not sure i’d cycle on the a9 for love nor money.

i’ve heard similar things about the a30 too.

nick3216
    Free Member

I’m trying to avoid them both myself this time round.

A30 has quite a wide area marked off from traffic, better than many cycle lanes. do see a stupid amount of end to Enders looking miserable on it though.

For sections of the A9 you can use the old road alongside the new one. Takes you past the Dalwhinnie distillery too. Don’t drink any whisky made in 1993. I know what’s in their water o_O

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Try the CTC forum, they have a whole thread permanently dedicated to LEJoG routes.

A9 is hell, only rode it from inverness up, but very busy with big trucks…

flange
    Free Member

Cheers gents, much appreciated

I’m planning on using a carbon road bike with a saddle bag – that carradice could well be the ticket!

Would like to get the biggest day in to start, just so I can say I’ve done a 200 mile day. Would obviously love to stick to smaller roads but not if it adds a load of mileage to the equation.

trail_rat
    Free Member

go via tongue/ crask inn if you can ! lovely roads compared to the A9 !

then you can do a short section of A9 and hop back onto the back roads at tain to pop back onto the a9 at evanton and go over the hill to the kessock

used to use those roads all the time when the mrs was living up there.

woody2000

What’s your email address flange, I have some info you can have

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Take nore days and actually enjoy this beautiful country!!

fasthaggis

I did it in 7 days ,on a light road bike with a seat post rack.
    Posted stuff in advance to where I had booked to stay ( B+B and hostels)
    ,so travelled light and had to get to the destination whatever.

If you work out a decent route ,it doesn’t have to be boring ,you just can’t pootle about .
    Some of the older A roads are quiet (ish) if you are using them outside commute and weekend times.
    I loved it, and was lucky enough to get a tailwind all the way . Enjoy,the UK is a brilliant wee place 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Again, thanks for the replies – they’re all appreciated

Woody – wilkitcher@gmail.com, any info would be great bud

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘LEJOG route’ is closed to new replies.